Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

09 WRX help

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:42 PM

Car Info: 2009 WRX
09 WRX help

Hey there, I'm a long time lurker and am hoping somebody might be able to give me an idea of what's wrong with my car. The car is bone stock with 38,000 miles and is used as a daily driver.

My problems started last week when I was driving back to school in SB from SF. The car started to make a whiny super charger like noise any time the vehicle was in motion in any gear. I figured it was probably a wheel bearing. The noise went away this weekend and I didn't think much else of it. However, the sound came back today when I was driving to my ochem lab.

Then, when I started the car up to drive home, the car made a noise that sounded like breaking glass when I was backing out of a parking spot. The car didn't stall, but it was a horrendous sound. I put the car in 1st and the car made the same sound. Every time I came to a stop and started to go again, the car made the same noise. I managed to limp the car home. It shifted thru gears 1-4 normally, but there is a quiet repeating clunking noise when the car is in motion.

Any ideas? Should I try to drive it to a dealer or have it towed? I think the nearest dealer from SB is in Ventura so it's a solid 45 minute drive.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 01-27-2012, 10:38 PM

Car Info: 05 OBP LGT LTD. Sedan
safest bet is get it towed to a shop you trust or if you feel like its under power train or if its under extended bumper to bumper then go with the dealer. I hope everything turns out alright!