Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

help help help...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 06:07 PM

Unhappy help help help...

Wondering if you guys could help me with a few questions!

I want to wire my power inverter it properly, with a source straight from the battery instead of tapping it from somewhere because I will be using a high wattage inverter. But if I wire it from the battery, how do I get it to switch on and off with the ignition?

I want to take a strong hot wire power lead from the battery upfront, because I have all 3 of my LCDs tapped through ONE hot wire. So the 4th one might take a beating on the one hot wire. So how would I take fresh lead from the battery, link up my 4 lcds and still have the turn on and off via ignition?

Thanks, I hope these questions arent overwhelming.

thanks
Old 10-31-2005, 09:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
I... umm.... I'm... aummm... uhhh, I uhhh.... am rather overwhelmed...
Old 11-01-2005, 06:26 AM

I don't know how much current you are using or what size wire you currently have but automotive relays that will switch 30-40 amps are available (larger ones are probably out there but maybe harder to find). You put a relay in breaking the live circuit from the battery and wire the trigger to an accessory lead so when the acc is turned on it closes the circuit. If your current setup won't supply enough juice for all, I would tend to run one new larger feed from the battery for everything and use a power block to split it off for the separate devices this will keep your positive battery terminal from turning into spaghetti.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:30 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

think of the relay as activating a second circuit.

the relay will be turned on and off via the ignition circuit (btw, tap off the radio harness for the best and EASIEST source to get to. make sure you tap off the the harness you attach, not the car side harness!!!!).

when the relay it turned on, it will then connect the circuit that will feed a 30 amp load to your LCDs.