just got a new sti please help with launches and shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by albertcrothers
Hey all just bought a sti yesterday after countless of hours deciding 1.EVO OR 2. STI. when i tried to launch i went to 4000 to 4300 and just tried to dump it (only twice) and it just bogged then i tried the same rpms and tried to slip it and my times were still bad. also what is a good rpm to shift at for each gear, because i try to go past 6000 and it looses hp in 1st and 2nd but then 3rd seems fine till 7000
once again sorry to ask all these questions but im just trying to get another subbie out there that can stomp on and hang with anything stock.

AHAHAHAH

DO NOT DUMP THE CLUTCH!

You slip it out. Drive the car for another 600 miles before ragging on it please. Once you find the slip point get your rpms at about 5k for a sti, then as you are releasing the clutch (not moving foot to the side) you start to floor the gas. FIRST TRY AT LOWER RPMS so you dont **** up your nice car which i take pity on for you have already been beating on.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:12 AM

Car Info: 04' wrx
Originally Posted by albertcrothers
Hey all just bought a sti yesterday after countless of hours deciding 1.EVO OR 2. STI. Although i never got a chance to test drive the evo, im really glad i got the sti, after hearing all these stories about their weak clutch. but anyways.
my car has 300 miles on it ,how long should i wait before i can really practice my launches ? or do i not have to wait? and will launching that soon do any harm in the near year or two as for performance???.
sorry so many ?s but one more
i did take the sti out today to practice my launches anyways,, just becasue i couldnt take it anymore. this is my first awd ever. and i have a g-tech that shows my 1/8 and 1/4. and put it this way, im not even going to post my times on here cause its really embarrising. i will tell you my major problems. my 60ft was like a 2.3-2.5 i never had any inputs on launcing but all i can say i SUCK. my friend bought one 3 months ago and he needed alot of practice also. + one free clutch under warranty(shhhhhhh) when i tried to launch i went to 4000 to 4300 and just tried to dump it (only twice) and it just bogged then i tried the same rpms and tried to slip it and my times were still bad. also what is a good rpm to shift at for each gear, because i try to go past 6000 and it looses hp in 1st and 2nd but then 3rd seems fine till 7000
once again sorry to ask all these questions but im just trying to get another subbie out there that can stomp on and hang with anything stock.

I can tell you what you need to do. Because you did not read your owners manual anything over 4000rpm is stupid. You have to break it in. You might as well rev to 7k and dump the clutch. I will say it again just incase you did not hear get me the first time. D O N O T G O O V E R 4 K T I L A F T E R 1 K M I L E S. After that you should be able to rev to about 4-4500 and then slip the clutch kind of quick. it will take practice. Don't dump the clutch though. The STi tranny is tough but it won't last long doing that. Good luck with your new car.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:25 AM

Car Info: 04' wrx
I am sorry I was mean. I just wish i could afford and STi. I hear you beating on yours already and it's not even broke in, and you talk about you friend and he's burnt up a clutch in 3 months. Hell i have 12000 miles on my WRX and my clutch is fine. I talked to a guy the other day and he just rolled 60000 and he's still on the stock clutch. Just take it a little easy. After it's broke in, It will probably have a little more power toward redline. I know my wrx was really weak from 6 to 7k until about 5000 miles on the clock. It was alot better after i got the cobb stage 2. I would say you just need to let everything break in. My care has gotten a lot smoother the more i drive it. I have a 5mt which has some issues with 1st gear and reverse when the car is new. I now have no trouble with either gear. I have gotten used to it. That is the big key with an AWD car especially an STi. You have to get to know eachother. Just concentrate on shifting smoothly, taking off smoothly, downshifting smoothly, blurping the gas a little when down shifting stuff like that. Once you get to know your car and it's limitations, and your limitations the speed will come. Remember you have a BAD *** car. People know that, you don't have to prove it all the time. Have you ever noticed that when someone with a bad *** car is driving on the streets that they don't go racing at every light. They know what they have and so should you. Just be easy on it, have fun, and enjoy your car. The speed and the mods will come just be patient and do it right. I am sorry if i came off like a ***** but i love my car a lot and you will love yours too, and then you'll know what i'm saying.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:47 PM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
Replacing a clutch is much less cheaper than rebuilding the tranny. Although the STi 6 speed is a strong transmission, i wouldn't keep dumping it expecting for it to last long.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:58 AM
VIP Member

Location: Are you too one of the few still living the past? Well I can change that! With a simple wicket. Yes, my friend, a wicket. PM for details.
Car Info: No car right now....sob.
Like it was said before, try not to go over 4k RPM within the first thousand miles. What you need to watch for in addition to that, however, is constant vehicle speed. DO NOT KEEP YOUR CAR AT A CONSTANT OR SAME VEHICLE SPEED FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. Advice which will make your car last hella longer.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:07 AM

Car Info: 2005 Aspen White STi
I just wanted to offer my input here.

I'm taking a more aggressive break-in with my car. I just got my 2005 STi two weeks ago and, while I haven't tried launching it, I have gone past 4k numerous times after 200km. According to many experts, you are not going to damage your engine in any way by putting load on it. If you don't seal your piston rings properly, your engine isn't going to be as strong (or potentially last as long) as one that has been sealed properly. So baby it at your own risk. I agree not to abuse the car from the get go but going past 4k shouldn't be a problem.

So far, I now have 800km on my car and it runs perfectly smooth and doesn't burn any noticeable oil. It pulls hard and runs great. I'll be taking my car to have it dynoed at around 4-5k km and we'll see how this break-in has turned out.

As for launching an STi, the best results, from what I've read, seem to come from either:

- rev to 4-5k RPMs and keep pumping the gas to build boost.
- come quickly off the clutch but do not side-step it or dump it.
- make sure your tire pressure is set a little higher to help the tires break loose.

OR (2nd method)

- pump the gas to rev between 3-4k
- as the revs go up on the 4th or 5th pump, come up off the clutch and as it starts to engage, floor it.

As for breaking the tranny, I don't think that is going to happen. People have been breaking their half-shafts though due to too much power and not enough wheel-spin.

Have fun.