Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

WRX engine and tranny in a '88 GL Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 09:35 PM

Car Info: 1988 subaru dl
WRX engine and tranny in a '88 GL Wagon

So I had this thought tell me if its good or not I have an old '88 GL Wagon that has been sitting for quite some time now i was wondering if it would be benificail if I put in a WRX engine and tranny in it or should i just save the money and buy a WRX??

The problems with the GL as far as i know right now are as follows:

Engine-fine
Tranny-Shot
Electronics-Fine but needs new battery
Suspention-Shot
Interior-Lots of cleaning might just replace with other seats
Exterior-Paint is alright and a couple dents

I used to drive this car when I was younger and always loved it I was wondering if I could some how make it a nicely tuned rigid car or would it just be a waste of time.

if you could tell me the possibilities and how much roughly its gonna cost that would be much appreciated thanks

------>Bixby
Old 01-11-2009, 09:16 PM

Does no one have ANY advice??? You can say it's a waste of time and money but I think it would be ****ing sweet put some sways nice tired ect.. **** would be a dope little sleeper
Old 01-12-2009, 08:06 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
probably not worth it

I had an old GL wagon and understand your feelings for that car, but even a low-ball estimate for a swap like that will probably run upwards from 10 grand, maybe even as much as 20, as it won't be a bolt-in, you'll need quite a bit of fabrication I think to make it all fit, and that's not even getting into dashboard issues and the whole other host of little things that 15-20 years of product evolution have changed.

Decent mid-mileage used WRX's can be picked up for 6G or so, that is what I would do.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:42 AM

Ya thats probably what ill do i just love that car is there anyway i could still use that car but get more power out of it or is it just a dead car now??
---->Bixby