Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

Tranny conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 03:52 PM

Car Info: looking to build a car using a modified Subaru drivetrain
Tranny conversion question

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some info on Subaru manual transmissions for a car I plan on building.
What I want to know is if it is possible to somehow eliminate the rear output shaft from a Subaru manual transmission, and make it 2WD only.
I am wanting to make a small kit-car like vehicle, and plan to make it mid-engined. The subaru engine would be really nice being a boxer for low center of gravity, but there's that pesky AWD aspect in the way, since the only thing behind the transmission in the car I want would be the rear bumper.
I am looking at using an engine/transmission from one of the mid 80's Subarus, because they are readily available for very little through salvage yards, and aren't too big. I know that Subaru did make FWD cars back then, but they are pretty hard to come by, so I wanted to know if I could convert one of the AWD ones, since they are all over.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:22 PM

Car Info: Tacoma
Another posablility might be to use the mendola tranny. Outback motorsports puts subaru engines in sandrails. http://www.outbackmotors.com/mendeol...ellhousing.htm They use this conversion bell housing which then allows you to put a vw bug tranny on it. The problem with this is that the motor actually turned around so it would be a rear engine. I am not sure but I know some of the bug trannys can just be flipped over though and that would work for your mid engine idea. Give these guys a call. I am sure they could help.