Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

sti swap...searched

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 05:48 PM

Car Info: Impreza RS
sti swap...searched

Looking to get an idea of how much a complete sti swap into a 98 rs would cost. I've got cash to burn, just need a number. Thanx
Old 11-07-2005, 06:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
you would need the engine, mounts, tranny, driveshafts, axels, that shouldnt be that much money
Old 11-07-2005, 06:41 PM

Car Info: Impreza RS
Originally Posted by kspek
you would need the engine, mounts, tranny, driveshafts, axels, that shouldnt be that much money
i figured that much, i'm looking for best prices, average price for labor, etc.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyT1304
i figured that much, i'm looking for best prices, average price for labor, etc.
My buddy's shop ordinarily charges around $700 for labor assuming a fairly straight-forward swap.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 00 BRP RS LIC'd 01 EJ207 + non DCCD 6 Speed
Originally Posted by mattvct
My buddy's shop ordinarily charges around $700 for labor assuming a fairly straight-forward swap.
Good luck getting an STi swap done correctly for $700 labor. It is one of the most complicated swaps, whether you go JDM STi or USDM STi. Its the wiring that does it. For your situation, being a 98 RS, you will need to splice your existing RS harness with the STi harness, and if you go JDM, then you will need to splice your RS harness with the JDM STi harness and a US WRX harness, but again, that depends on smog, so with that said, a US STi might be the way to go. If smog isnt a problem, then maybe a JDM STi 2.0L, which is what I have in my RS and holly hell do I love it. If you dont know the many differences, ask and I will be happy to help you out. LIC Motorsports did my conversion and I havent had a single problem. Adam has done around 20 smog legal conversions, including my JDM Ver. 7 and two other JDM conversions.

So, with all that said, to answer your question....we'll say $5,000 for the motor, IC, ECU, turbo, X-member, exhaust manifold, downpipe, uppipe, $4,500 for the tranny, driveshaft, axles, front and rear Brembos with rotors and pads, then if you have a shop do the install and the wiring, depending on hourly rates, I'd say the labor would be around $3,800-$4,000, and as with anything like this, unexpected things happen, so it is a good idea to budget a little more than what it should cost you, so as a final amount, expect around $15,000....mine out the door, CA smog legal, was about $13,000, but then again I had Brembos in the front already, and kept the R160 rear diff. That was having LIC to do the wiring, which I would suggest unless you know what you are doing with wires. An STi swap is not cheap...but it is definately worth it. I would do it again if I had to. Also, your car will be down for a while, so make sure you have transportation. People have done it in a weekend, but that is working ALL weekend. Hope this helps.

Patrick

PS. Go ahead and price things out and you'll see that this is not a cheap swap like a Honda. Gruppe-S will have most of what you need.

Last edited by EndlessWaltz RS; 11-25-2005 at 06:45 PM.