Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

STI in Hot Rod Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 08:31 AM

Car Info: 2007 WRX Sport Wagon
yeah I read it, they meant whp
Old 12-03-2003, 08:56 AM

Car Info: Blue STi +Red del Sol VTEC
My STi dynoed 261whp 270lbft on xxtuning's dynapack.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:03 AM

Re: STI in Hot Rod Magazine

Originally posted by arctb76
Imagine my surprise when I open up the "Please subscribe today and get a free gift subscrition paper cover" to the real front page of Hot Rod and see an STI vs Cobra Mustang headline. Well of course the STI was blue, seems to be subarus signature color for magazine demos. Anyway the article was interesting, it shows just how much out of the loop hotrod is on the AWD rally car loop. Espically with the sidebar that explains how the aftermarket can somehow increase the power of your STI from 215 hp to 260hp with slight mods. Yeah your read that right 215hp, I am think they ment that to be the WRX, although that would still be wrong. Did anyone else catch this article yet?

These dyno numbers are from Vishnu's dyno. They are much lower than others. This has always been the case with their dyno. All that matters is that you get a baseline and see if the mods are increasing the hp. So a car dynoed on Vishnu's dyno would need to go back to his dyno after modifications, otherwise it would be meaningless.

To give you an idea
On Vishnu's dyno a stock EVO dynoes around 180 whp

To compare, a stock STi dyno number. Turboxs dynoed a stock STi at 264whp. That would be well over 300hp at the crank.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:42 AM

Car Info: Sold my 05 Evo...Carless for a while...then 05' WRB STi whenever lol :(
yea i read....it was pretty good

but i love one thing that they said:

"the Subaru is the Cobra's equal at the drags, its superior on the road course, and the cheaper of the two."
Old 12-10-2003, 10:09 AM

It was a very positive article and the STi was the clear winner and they knew it but since it's hot rod mag they couldn't come right out and say it .

Also did you see that they used the ACCD as a disadvantage and set it 50/50 then they said they seen some understeer on the track no kidding.

Active on auto or 35/65 is the only way to go.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:52 AM

If you really want a radio it'll cost you like 400 for something better than most any factory one. Most people buying a car like this either want no stereo or they want a big stereo so the initial ****ty stock radio would be in the trash or you can get a wrx one out of the junkyard for $50.

The cobra's do run like 12.6 on drag radials i've seen it my friend has one. The extra cash he spent on drag radials i buy a catless dp with a cutout and i'm smoking him and the car is $4000+ more initially.

Anyway on the street even with the drag radials i smoke him till about 115.

What do a 500hp 600hp and 700hp all have in common.

They all run 12's

Quick Reply: STI in Hot Rod Magazine