Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Need Help Driving Stick.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 04:10 AM

Car Info: 2007 STI
Red face Need Help Driving Stick.

EHHH.. welps... i cant figure wat im doing wrong.. but im burning a **** load of clutch.. and im afriad that imma burn soo much that imma be one of those idiots with a new car that has to buy a new CLUTCH.. =l.... and i know if i say wat car i got as a new car.. there will be some scrutiny .. but anyway i bought a brand new STI.. and im having problems learning on it. ive learned how to drive stick in many other cars.. but this is the first time i actually got to drive more seriouslly.. and ****k.. its hella difficult. EMBARASSINGLY.. i always stall tryin to get into my garage.. the clutch is hella different from other cars. anybody.. want to offer some friendly advice =?.. im gettin the jittters i know that im releasing clutch to early.. yade yada .. im a ****ing nooob. that needs helppp beforeee i get owned=( .. PLEASEE HELPPP --- i know that sti is not the best car to start out with to learn BUT I GOT IT.. AND THATS THAT.. sooo.. pleaseee.. help =/
Old 06-20-2007, 04:27 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Search feature is your friend.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/car-lounge-44/how-do-i-drive-stick-just-got-my-brand-new-06-wrx-standard-139431/

Read the linked thread. There are other threads in Car Lounge on the same topic of needing to learn to drive a manual transmission over the internet, but they all say basically the same thing. Don't really have anything to add to what's already been suggested in that thread.

Good luck.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:39 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
you live in s.f.? hahah good luck
Old 06-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Good luck man. I am still learning how to drive a stick myself.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:41 PM

Car Info: None =(
I get to start soon, as the '07 2.5i impreza I'm getting will be a stick. Never driven stick in my life, but going ot test drive one this Saturday. I can't wait!
Old 06-21-2007, 03:59 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
The trick is the clutch, not the gas. The gas just lets you release the clutch all the way up quicker, that is all. You can ride the clutch with idle power for a few seconds without any injury to the clutch. Never let out the clutch until your wheels are moving. You will have to keep the clutch through the friction zone until your wheels are moving. If your wheels are not moving, you cannot let out the clutch completely.

Imagine how the whole system works. Your engine is constantly spinning, hence the idle rpm. RPM is basically your engine spinning. Imagine your clutch as a connector from your engine to your wheels through the flywheel and drivetrain (diffs, axles, etc). That doesn't matter. Think of it as the connector. If you connect your constantly moving engine to your wheels, but your wheels aren't moving, and you completely connect it (let out the clutch completely), your engine dies. Let the clutch connect enough so it moves your wheels without killing your engine. That is basically why you stall.

Keep practicing in a parking lot. Practice mostly stop and go, because tahts where most problems are. If you get the feel of the clutch, you are set. I know you know how to drive stick, just be CONFIDENT and practice. Remember, just get to the friction zone (the point where the clutch engages to the engine) and do not let go all the way until you're moving like 3 mph. Also, it DOESN'T matter how much gas you add, if you let go of the clutch before your wheels have enough rotation, you WILL stall. So it's all in the clutch. Get use to that and you will have no trouble launching quicker with more gas, or lauching at 700 rpm to save your clutch.

Keep trying the "no gas method". Most cars won't be able to engage the clutch with idle power, but the STi can. You can let go of the clutch until you feel the car connect and HOLD it there. Your car will start inching foward slowly. Keep doing that until you know exactly where the clutch engages by your foot. Once you have that down, it's a matter of doing it quickly. To do it quickly, basically you are trying to keep the RPM's constant as you let go of the clutch. You notice the rpms will drop as you let go of the clutch. If you keep the rpm constant with the throttle, then you are on your way to learning how to launch well.

Hills are different in that instead of starting from a stop, your car is actually rolling back. Your wheels go going the opposite direction of what your engine wants to go. So think of it this way. Connect the clutch until your car stops rolling back. With small hills, again idle power can do this. You have to remember that on hills you will have to ride the clutch a little longer than usual. To save your clutch, you minimize the amount of the time you're riding the clutch, and use the lowest power possible. This will come in time.

Yes I am bored at 4 am in the morning. Can't really sleep. Hope this helps.

oh and www.standardshift.com
Old 06-21-2007, 12:32 PM

ahahha thanks for taking the time to write =D appreciate it. with the problem getting into my garage.. i slightly let the clutch go till i stop moving, and when i give it gas.. all i get is a VROOOOOOOOM hella load but no movement, soo i let the clutch out alittle more then I STALL -- and i cant figure that out. and on big hills. it is the same problem but im ROLLing back. i like lettin the clutch go till its about to stall and that jittery noise and then i gas it. still not moving but VROOOOM sometimes i let the clutch go and BAMM im stuck or A VERY HIGH REV.. and of course.. that smell of heavy burnt clutch.. i actually live surrounded by hills. i get up them fine at times but its when i try and pratice it more i cant get it down. blahhh.

Originally Posted by BoxerRumble
The trick is the clutch, not the gas. The gas just lets you release the clutch all the way up quicker, that is all. You can ride the clutch with idle power for a few seconds without any injury to the clutch. Never let out the clutch until your wheels are moving. You will have to keep the clutch through the friction zone until your wheels are moving. If your wheels are not moving, you cannot let out the clutch completely.

Imagine how the whole system works. Your engine is constantly spinning, hence the idle rpm. RPM is basically your engine spinning. Imagine your clutch as a connector from your engine to your wheels through the flywheel and drivetrain (diffs, axles, etc). That doesn't matter. Think of it as the connector. If you connect your constantly moving engine to your wheels, but your wheels aren't moving, and you completely connect it (let out the clutch completely), your engine dies. Let the clutch connect enough so it moves your wheels without killing your engine. That is basically why you stall.

Keep practicing in a parking lot. Practice mostly stop and go, because tahts where most problems are. If you get the feel of the clutch, you are set. I know you know how to drive stick, just be CONFIDENT and practice. Remember, just get to the friction zone (the point where the clutch engages to the engine) and do not let go all the way until you're moving like 3 mph. Also, it DOESN'T matter how much gas you add, if you let go of the clutch before your wheels have enough rotation, you WILL stall. So it's all in the clutch. Get use to that and you will have no trouble launching quicker with more gas, or lauching at 700 rpm to save your clutch.

Keep trying the "no gas method". Most cars won't be able to engage the clutch with idle power, but the STi can. You can let go of the clutch until you feel the car connect and HOLD it there. Your car will start inching foward slowly. Keep doing that until you know exactly where the clutch engages by your foot. Once you have that down, it's a matter of doing it quickly. To do it quickly, basically you are trying to keep the RPM's constant as you let go of the clutch. You notice the rpms will drop as you let go of the clutch. If you keep the rpm constant with the throttle, then you are on your way to learning how to launch well.

Hills are different in that instead of starting from a stop, your car is actually rolling back. Your wheels go going the opposite direction of what your engine wants to go. So think of it this way. Connect the clutch until your car stops rolling back. With small hills, again idle power can do this. You have to remember that on hills you will have to ride the clutch a little longer than usual. To save your clutch, you minimize the amount of the time you're riding the clutch, and use the lowest power possible. This will come in time.

Yes I am bored at 4 am in the morning. Can't really sleep. Hope this helps.

oh and www.standardshift.com
Old 06-21-2007, 12:33 PM

hahhaha yep.. to get to my house you have to drive up fat hills.

Originally Posted by pwnx0rz
you live in s.f.? hahah good luck
Old 06-21-2007, 12:33 PM

what kind of car?. any tips =?

Originally Posted by darkonion
Old 06-21-2007, 03:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Whatever you do, DO NOT LEARN IN YOUR NICE CAR. Go to a rental place and ask for a stick, rent it for a day and learn in that. You are taking YEARS off your clutch, synchros and throwout bearing with your mucking about!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 05:39 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI CGM
Originally Posted by meilers
Whatever you do, DO NOT LEARN IN YOUR NICE CAR. Go to a rental place and ask for a stick, rent it for a day and learn in that. You are taking YEARS off your clutch, synchros and throwout bearing with your mucking about!!!
the exact reason why you cant rent cars in a stick.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:34 AM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by SUBY_6_STI
the exact reason why you cant rent cars in a stick.
I've rented cars that are a stick before.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:42 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI CGM
Originally Posted by jvick125
I've rented cars that are a stick before.
in california?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Troll

Car Info: 2008 Legacy Spec-B
Originally Posted by darkonion
I don't think he is talking about THAT kind of stick...:RockOn - not mine:
Old 06-26-2007, 10:09 AM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
I think the key is to understand where your engage point is and to smoothly let off of the clutch pedal.

The way I learned that is to not step on the gas at all. gently release the clutch until you feel the car start to lurch forward, then re-engage the clutch. Keep doing that till you understand WELL where the engage point is. Then, start to apply a bit of gas.

my $0.02.