Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Driving a stick

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 09:16 AM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Smile

Well I was tought by my dad and I dont really know how to put it into words, cause its kinda a thing taht you need someone helping you with it like in person, but ill try!
1. First just try getting into a manual car with it just on the "On" positon w/o the motor running. Then just practice using the clutch and shifting in place; it helps you figure out where the gears are and where to move them.
2. Next after you do this adn have practiced it alot, have a friend who knows how to drive a manual take you to a large open parking lot and just practice using the clutch and shifting while actually moving. Dont worrk because it will probably be frusterating becasue you might stall it a few times.
3. Well after you have done 2 a lot, then youu have the basic down and you just gotta start practicing starting on hills and all that other crap.
hope this helps! and if I am wrong, correct me becasue its just natural now so I cant really describe it!
-Jeff
Old 05-17-2003, 12:12 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX, 06 Evo IX MR, now 2010 STi
learned by myself and my tv.

renting a car is not a bad idea.

good luck
Old 05-17-2003, 12:30 PM

Car Info: 2002 Alpine White WRX
The only way to learn it is to drive. Reading material will teach you what to do but it doesn't help one bit in doing it. You need to get a rent a car, since no one you know drives a stick and practice on it for a day or two. You won't burn the clutch unless you drop it at redline all the time. Once you get the feel for it, it will be easy.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:30 PM

Car Info: 03 Sedona Red WRX
i taught some stupid blonde how to drive a stick on my old crx si. i took her out to an industrial park and showed her how the clutch works by having her put the car in 1st and slowly letting the clutch out until the car started moving (flat and level road) and puttered along at idle! we did that like 10 times and then we stopped and i had her practice reving the engine and holding a certain rpm. i had her play around with the gas pedal enough to where she could hold it steady at 1500rpm. then i had her do that and had her let out the clutch slowly, and explained the whole thing about applying more gas to keep the rpms up.

this seemed to do the trick in teaching her.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:06 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Well I had the same problem with not knowing how to drive manual about 2 years ago. So instead of actually buying a new car to learn how, I got an old Impreza to learn on. Granted, Its going to be my car for some time to come but it would be an option for you to get a cheap sub $1000 car for just learning on and selling it afterwards.

Luckly my mom knew how to drive manual cars, so she was able to teach me. My cousin also helped a little with teaching me the finer points of what was actually going on with the car, but in all I definatly learned that its the clutch that you have to learn first. The shifting part is the easy part, the hard part is knowing how the clutch reacts... It is a very different sensation when you are first driving a manual car, and yes you need to keep the revs up at first and let the clutch up slowly so you dont stall the car.

The best way to learn is to find a large open parkinglot or somewhere rather empty to start out on. I did that for a week or so to get used to then, then tried some spots with hills and other obsticles problematic for new manual drivers so that I could learn how to deal with those situations.

After that, its the same as when you first learn how to drive and to get past the initial fear of screwing up on actual public roads in traffic and such, which just takes time. Took about a month for me to get used to it, and another month to get completely adjusted. Its second nature for me now, and only took a few months to completely get the hang of things.

However, I dont think that learning on an STI would be very good, because it has alot of power and you dont want to ruin the clutch on a brand new $30,000 (unless of course you feel you can afford to do that, or possibly afford any new-learner related disasters that might happen with the car)
Old 05-18-2003, 03:17 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Definitely get the STi if you can... and DON'T jump in without learning first. Just go buy a clapped out GL or something (with AWD or 4WD preferably) and learn. It's cheap, so if you break it, who cares? When you get the hang of it, hop in the STi and jam.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:39 AM

Car Info: 2000 subaru impreza 2.5 RS
standard movie

I made a movie for a class about how to drive a standard. I think it came out ok. I'll try to post a link to it soon.

Josh

Quick Reply: Driving a stick