Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

i cant let a srt-4 beat me

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 03:56 PM

Car Info: 2004 STi
would the sbr gt13 work?
Old 04-09-2005, 08:21 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
There is an extremely easy way to beat any SRT-4 with a totally stock WRX or STI 100% of the time:

Challenge him to a race on a gravel road, or up a muddy hill, or in snow, or in the dozens of other conditions where any Subaru is superior to a FWD car with slightly more HP than it can conrol.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:48 AM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
Originally Posted by sykosis
Sit inside the neon and you'll see and feel why the STi is better.
buy both same time... one year later look on kbb.com and compare losses....
who cares if you lose.... on the strip

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*
Old 04-10-2005, 05:39 AM

Car Info: 07' Saleen SC281
I know exactly what you mean. My friend has a SRT-4 with Stage 2, extrude honed intake manifold, AEM cold air intake, Borla cat back exhaust, and a 60mm throttle body. He can outrun my STi which has Cobb AccessPort Stage 2/93 oct, Cobb downpipe, and HKS Carbon/Ti catback. I never thought in 1000 years that this damn Neon was going to be a problem. When I saw the stock horsepower figures, I thought it was at the crank - I had no idea that it was at the freakin wheels. I thought the same for all the stage kits also. Thinking the numbers were at the crank, I was not worried about the SRT-4. Now that I know all of these numbers are wheel horsepower - I wonder how Dodge can give so much power for an econo-box price. I mean, the stage kits are even cheap. I have to spend alot of money for upgrades while my friend barely spends anything and he has tons of performance. If you really want to get pissed, run a SRT-4 that has Stage 2 with TurboToys. Have that car fill up with 100 octane and run the 100 octane map. If you think regular Stage 2 is fast - hold on, you ain't seen nothin till you see the SRT on Stage 2/100 octane. I would have to do alot to my STi to keep up with my friend when he runs the 100 octane. SRT's can handle also. All my friend did was put oversize front and rear swaybars on his car and now I really have problems shaking him in the turns. I can out handle him, but it now requires all of my skill and it is not nearly as easy as it was before he put the sway bars on.
I so hate the SRT-4. I hate it because it's a Neon for one and it's so damn cheap to buy and modify. That car can beat cars that are way above it. I hate to see what a Stage 3 SRT-4 would do. Viper and Corvettes beware. For an STi to beat a Stage 2/100 octane or Stage 3 SRT-4 will take very large sums of money, and I do mean very large sums.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:17 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru WRX
He can win on a drag strip,(who cares) but do you think his neon can hang in the twisties? If you bought a subie as a drag car, you made a mistake, unless you have unlimited amounts of cash.

I totally agree. WRXs are not drag race cars. They are meant for the twisties and dirt roads.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
How many of y'all that are saying that SRT-4's are no good outside of the dragstrip have actually ridden/driven in the MY that came with an LSD?

Personally, I've ridden in one at autox that was moderately modified that was very fast. There was also one in Hawaii that consistently places 4th or 5th overall.

http://www.sccahawaii.org/4-3-05.pdf (check out SM. There's even a Honda ahead of him! )
Old 04-10-2005, 10:20 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
I've only competed agaisnt one SRT4 in autocross. It was last year, I guy showed up with Mopar stage 2 and coiolovers, I think also mopar plus whatever else. I beat him raw in my RS, so obviously he wasn't getting everything he could out of it.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by solo2wrx
He can win on a drag strip,(who cares) but do you think his neon can hang in the twisties? If you bought a subie as a drag car, you made a mistake, unless you have unlimited amounts of cash.

I totally agree. WRXs are not drag race cars. They are meant for the twisties and dirt roads.
The "my car is better in the dirt!" argument is pretty thin. Any experienced PGT 2WD class driver can hop into an SRT and spank you, me, and 99% of other Subaru drivers on a dirt course anyday. And it's not like any of us actually drive fast on dirt, ever. Sure, there are a number of peopl who go drive dirt roads and have fun- but you're not really outrunning anybody else's car doing it.

Neons have always been good autocross cars. The ACR is in D Stock for a reason, despite having less power than most other cars in the class.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:29 PM
VIP Member

Ban, you are most certainly one of the most reasonable folks I've virtually met on any online forum. Certainly you can see how many different sleeper/locost cars can be made pretty darn formidable with respect to power or handling or both.

Ironically, I don't think I've ever heard of more than a handful of Imprezas that haven't been modified. The Impreza is an AWESOME car. I have two of them and have raced the crap out of both and will be racing the crap out of the newer one...but it isn't the most perfect car ever created, be it in a straight line nor on twisties.

Edit: Nothing edited, just pointing out that I wrote this before your preceding post.

Last edited by gpatmac; 04-10-2005 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by gpatmac
Ironically, I don't think I've ever heard of more than a handful of Imprezas that haven't been modified. The Impreza is an AWESOME car. I have two of them and have raced the crap out of both and will be racing the crap out of the newer one...but it isn't the most perfect car ever created, be it in a straight line nor on twisties.
That first statement gives you away so bad as a WRX guy. Before 2002, there was so little aftermarket for the Impreza it wasn't funny. eBay searching for "impreza" got like 2 pages of results.

They do modify really well though... I am absolutely happy with my car in every respect with regards to its potential.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
The "my car is better in the dirt!" argument is pretty thin. Any experienced PGT 2WD class driver can hop into an SRT and spank you, me, and 99% of other Subaru drivers on a dirt course anyday. And it's not like any of us actually drive fast on dirt, ever. Sure, there are a number of peopl who go drive dirt roads and have fun- but you're not really outrunning anybody else's car doing it.

Neons have always been good autocross cars. The ACR is in D Stock for a reason, despite having less power than most other cars in the class.
I certainly agree with this and your other post, BAN, but you must admit -- if you take the driver out of the equation, or put the same driver in both cars, the WRX/STI has much more ability on the dirt or twisties. Certainly I'm not a full-time dirt driver (I did some amateur-class 4x4 for a while) but I'd happily take on a SRT-4 driver who has only tested the limits of his car at the strip. Each car is suited to its own ideal environment.

It is pretty safe to assume that the only time a SRT-4 and an STI would meet up, it would be on asphalt; but as you and others on the thread have noted, that's a mismatch long before the green light drops; anyone who bought a WRX or STI for a straight-line race wasted their money, pure and simple. I've got a friend who has invested less than $8,000 (including purchase price!) in a Z28 Camaro and he'll happily ride any $30,000 STI into the ground without breaking a sweat.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:20 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
That first statement gives you away so bad as a WRX guy. Before 2002, there was so little aftermarket for the Impreza it wasn't funny. eBay searching for "impreza" got like 2 pages of results.

They do modify really well though... I am absolutely happy with my car in every respect with regards to its potential.
I am a fervent Impreza fan. I spent $21.6k on my wagon and I'm convinced that with a few tweaks, it is an excellent all-around platform for various modes of racing.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:25 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by meilers
I've got a friend who has invested less than $8,000 (including purchase price!) in a Z28 Camaro and he'll happily ride any $30,000 STI into the ground without breaking a sweat.
I know a guy with a Mercury Lynx who's spent $4k overall, and another guy with an FC RX7 ($7k) total who are both well under the 10sec mark.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:47 PM

Car Info: Heep
Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
hahaha you know id smoke you on the twisties!! Even being fwd the srt's dont handle all that bad. stock there mushy and sit really high in the back but throw on the stage 3 coilovers sway bars and tires it will hang with an sti. no problem. but again it all comes down to the driver.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:48 PM

Car Info: Heep
oh yah and the only racing Vibeeleven does is on the internet

Quick Reply: i cant let a srt-4 beat me