Yay for car profiling, first experience with hood popping and pissy cops.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 02:28 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by UCDgogie
parking permit didnt matter at the time..it was past 10pm and its open parking after that.
I wasn't aware of that.

Originally Posted by UCDgogie
and yea i learned that if you have any questions about whats going on you get to ask them after you've handed over ID or whatever they want. now if the cops take some unreasonable action after you complied, then thats messed up and there needs to be somethin done.
I'm glad to see that some people are learning from this experience. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:01 PM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
This is totally true, and in this situation it wasn't just speculation - they had proof that they were being lied to. So, this guy took it from a simple stop sign violation to resisting and lying to an officer.
No one lied.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by jvick125
No one lied.
In the linked article above regarding the cyclist, it said that he stated to the officers he did not have his ID on him at the time, and then when they searched him - they found it in his wallet in his pocket. This is called lying.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Oh. I think we were talking about what happened when the cops ruined our meet. I was truthful. I don't think they believed me though. My 4EAT, 2.2L a race prepped car? I think not...
Old 01-18-2007, 04:29 PM

Car Info: 2006 CGM WRX
Originally Posted by darkonion
My 4EAT, 2.2L a race prepped car? I think not...
crazier and stupider things have happened
Old 01-18-2007, 05:20 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
The "campus cops" are actually the same as regular cops, they aren't rent a cops, they have guns and have the same everything as davis cops.

I see that there are some people who side with the police and side with the student. It's just like what happened at UCLA. It's gets me pretty stirred up when everyone says it's ok for the police to do whatever they want IF we don't show them our IDs. Yeah sure it's their right, but if you look at it from the outside, and not be so closed minded and tunnel visioned, you can see that the situation DID NOT have to escalate into anyone being harm. A student, who should feel safe around the police, feels more scared of them. We have a fear of the police now and thats NOT how it's suppose to be. THey threaten anyone that question their authority.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:22 PM

nevermind, god i'm so freaking pissed.

Last edited by BoxerRumble; 01-18-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by SkylineR35GTRx
The "campus cops" are actually the same as regular cops, they aren't rent a cops, they have guns and have the same everything as davis cops.

I see that there are some people who side with the police and side with the student. It's just like what happened at UCLA. It's gets me pretty stirred up when everyone says it's ok for the police to do whatever they want IF we don't show them our IDs. Yeah sure it's their right, but if you look at it from the outside, and not be so closed minded and tunnel visioned, you can see that the situation DID NOT have to escalate into anyone being harm. A student, who should feel safe around the police, feels more scared of them. We have a fear of the police now and thats NOT how it's suppose to be. THey threaten anyone that question their authority.
You probably think I am "siding with the cops" based on what my posts have said. There is no way in hell that would happen based on my own previous experiences. In my opinion, one should feel safer when an officer is present however in reality it is far worse than completely not the case. In any situation - my own or stories I have heard, when an officer is present I feel that they are doing everything they can to find you guilty of *something* rather than trying to establish if everyone is safe and sound, etc.

What I was doing was relaying known facts - which is, if you do not obey an officer, they WILL screw with you. In this case, they asked for his ID, instead of complying he lied to them, which they later proved. I am in no way saying what they did was right but I am saying that what they did SHOULD have been expected. If you get pulled over and you do not do what an officer says, you will have trouble whether you think it's right or not. Saying that does not mean that I am 'siding with the cops' which doesn't make any sense anyway.

Another point to ponder is that the officers are NOT the place to take up your problems with how the system works. They are simply robot drones who are out there "doing their job." Trying to get an officer to break the rules his whole career is based on is neither effective or smart. They are not being 'closed minded' as being open-minded (in your opinion) would get them investigated and then fired. It's all they know. Make sense?

Yes it sucks that officers abuse their power and there is really not much that can be done about that. Yeah it sucks that they see things as black and white and cannot budge on insignificant points when doing so would actually be better for the entire situation in most cases. Now that we know this, let's do what we can on our side to not attract their attention.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:15 PM

Car Info: .
Post Here's the deal...

Cops have been profiling young adults with modified cars since the end of WWII. It's a fact of life. Get over it. It isn't going to drastically change anytime soon because the guys that were getting hassled 30-60 years ago are now in charge of "The System", and if they really cared enough they would have done something by now to change things.

Oh yeah, that's right. Those guys already have done something about it.

Those guys created such organizations as the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) and the Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association (SEMA). Those guys fought hard for us to have the ability to modify our cars just about any way we please, compared to the laws of most other industrialized countries. Those were the guys that campaigned for the creation of the drag strips and race tracks that we are able to enjoy today. Those were the guys that as a group tried to educate the law enforcement community and the general public about our hobby, such that we today aren't completely looked at as "outlaws" and "hoodlums".

On the other hand, what occured on the campus of UC Davis over a week ago was a prime example of what NOT to do, such that it reinforces the negative stereotypes that "outsiders" (LEO's and non-enthusiasts) share about us. Here are some prime examples:

Two cops came out with a smile and cracked a joke as some of us were crowded around a member's car to check out his engine bay.
Outsiders only see this as openly bragging to the crowd gathered 'round as to what you have under the hood. Sometimes bragging leads to a challege, which sometimes leads to a competition.
Now you can say "We don't street race" to the cops all you want, but the fact of the matter is that the guys that DO street race say the exact same thing. If you wanna show your buddies what's up, the best thing to do is post pics somewhere here on i-Club. Otherwise, an open hood is just an open invitation...

The police officer, which I thought would have been nice, started using his flashlight to look at all the parts and went behind to look at his exhaust. The police officer radios in for backup and before we know it 2 more patrol cars was here...There were two cars with their hoods popped up and they looked for the usual. intake and exhaust.
From LEO's point of view, those two were sizing each other up for a race. IT DOESN'T MATTER TO THEM WHAT YOU SAY TO THE CONTRARY, they have probably heard that story before.

When the police officer asked for a member's license, he asked the police why? and what for? The cop thought he was giving him attitude so he detained him, put him in cuffs and sent him to the back of his squad car, treating him like a criminal.
From LEO's point of view, anyone who refuses the request to show ID is trying to hide something. Usually it is something bad, and possibly it could be something dangerous to the officer's life. JUST SHOW THEM YOUR DAMN ID! If you refuse, you have broken the law, which means you have committed a crime, which means... YOU ARE NOW A CRIMINAL!

The cops kept saying "so you guys are going to race?" "Are you guys street racers? Here to race? Where's the NOS? blah blah...but of course they have probable cause.
Welcome to the wonderful world of interrogation! Just tell them the truth, and you'll get through it.

Even though the police did let us go, he treated us like we were street racers from the start, what ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? They already had a mind set that we street raced even though NONE of us did. modified cars =/ street racing. Is that concept so hard to understand?
To the outsiders, YES. A car's engine is modified 99% of the time for one thing, and one thing only; MORE SPEED. Why on God's green earth would you want to go fastAr? TO RACE!

Now my thoughts...What pisses me off is the profiling. Yes we have modded cars but that doesn't mean we street race. The population of car enthusiast consists of many people who are against street racing, but we are grouped together with [those that do]. I-Club does a great job of advocating racing at the track/autox and to frown upon street racing...JUST because a car is modified DOES NOT mean we street race.
Absolutely true. Unfortunately, i-Club isn't as large or as well established as the NHRA or SEMA; if you really want your voice to be heard by the lawmakers, join these two organizations NOW!

I know some people have used the analogy of profile blacks. A cop will get owned if he stops a black man thinking he was a thief or criminal, but that sort of thing happened. Profiling is such a big problem and very unfair and unjust.
Oh puhleeeese.
Pulling the "race card" on this is a chicken**** move if I ever saw one. Illegally modifying your car is a CHOICE; being black isn't.

It sucks that our cars are illegal on the road. We love cars, but we can't afford a daily driver AND a race car. We can't trailer our car to every event. That means we would have to get a truck, a trailer, and a daily driver. That would cost too much money.
You gotta pay to play, period. If you ILLEGALLY mod your car, you will either need to pay for a tow rig and a daily-driver, or you will pay the fines you EARN trying to drive a race car on the street.

To the cops and the law makers...there is no way to stop car enthusiasts from modifying their cars. They can give out as many tickets as they like but the love of cars will always be there.
O'RLY?!? Go find yourself an old Austrailian hot-rodder and ask that guy what happened over there during the 1970's. High-performace cars were legislated right off the showroom floor, and such awe-inspiring races as the Bathurst 1000 vanished forever.

In my opinion, to stop street racing, the state should put money into programs that promote safe racing environments by advertising against street racing and opening more autox/tracks...
This is true.

...instead of putting money into faster patrol cars to catch street racers or training programs.
This is bull****. No money in the budget to nab genuine scofflaws? I don't think so.

There is no way to change the minds of law makers or the state or the police without having events that bring cops and car enthusiasts together. Many of us do not have the power to change the law because we are mostly younger guys and some older guys.
This is where that NHRA membership comes into play.

Of course the aftermarket companies know about the problem and they are trying to help us by making parts CARB legal and what not, but that’s about all they can do. If someone can change the sound decibel limit that would be one giant step for us. Online petitions and letters to the state official seem useless.
This is where that SEMA membership comes into play.

I hate thinking that laws are so set in stone that anyone who tries to fight it will get put down or harassed. There should be people who should question questionable laws because if we do not question or voice out against authority, then pretty soon we will live under a dictatorship.
For Godsakes, we are just taking about cars here, not Soviet Communism.

BTW arguing on this forum isn't going to help the cause...so put energy into writing a letter to someone who cares. I have a feeling some older guys are going to chime in about not modifying our cars.
Thankfully, you wrote a letter to people who do care. So much so that I'd be surprised that most of the BAIC and the SRIC aren't pissed-off at some of you guys who admittedly have illegally modified your cars, acted like tools and/or fools to the LEO's, and then have the audacity to come on the internet and ****/moan/complain about it!

You are GODDAMN lucky you didn't get popped for having illegally modified cars, which could have been impounded for 30 days! You guys are lucky that each and every one of you didn't even get ticketed for loitering! Your shady-acting buddy is lucky the cop didn't pepper-spray his ***!

AND NOW, SINCE I LIVE IN DAVIS, I'LL BE LUCKY THAT I DON'T GET PULLED OVER JUST FOR DRIVING A SUBARU!

SO STFU ALREADY!!!
Old 01-18-2007, 09:41 PM

dude what the hell is your freaking problem? i'll read what you wrote when i have time, but uh, relax ok? don't take it so personally. i seel ots of bold and capital letters.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:58 PM

bah, i was goign to make a reply, but i don't want to argue. I do enough thinking and making arguments in english class or solving problems, i'm tired, i just want to come home and relax, read i-club, laugh at funny threads.

wombatsauce, i realyl wasn't directing my post to you. I only made that post after my gf said sometihng like pretty annoyingly/mad that people should just show their damn IDs.

Another thing to ponder, if the guy they stopped were YOU, and you did not produce your ID because you really didn't have it (at that time the officers did not know), and they shoved YOU on the ground and cuffed and searched you, how would you feel?

People, just relax, most of us go by our lives not making a difference, and that's perfectly ok, i just want to get by, make money, have a good family and live with my gf - future wife ...do fun stuff. I don't really care about other people's problems, but when it hits so close to home, you have to start caring.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
In the linked article above regarding the cyclist, it said that he stated to the officers he did not have his ID on him at the time, and then when they searched him - they found it in his wallet in his pocket. This is called lying.
Oh sorry, thought you were talking about the meet.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:06 AM

Snot, Just read your post, I liked it. But just a few points to clarify.

1. The cars with popped hoods were at least 75 feet from each other. I do see your point about the open invitation though. IDK, just an FYI

2. The guy that didn't give up his ID right away was not resistant, he just asked "Why?". Simple, no attitude, "Why?". When the cop gave an overly rude reply, that's when we were like "Woah, wth was that for?" I think a good police officer should be able to keep a civil manner and talk with someone even before you give your ID. The guy was reaching for his wallet when he asked as well.

Just wanted to clear that up.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:20 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX Sti
Investigative Stop

On one hand, the standard for reasonable suspicion is relatively easy to meet. On the other hand, always carry your attorney’s card in your wallet. Circumstances may arise where you may wish to hand that card to the police and say that you want to speak to your attorney. This may help exclude evidence being used against you that is not properly obtained.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:19 PM

Car Info: 02 STi
wow

Quick Reply: Yay for car profiling, first experience with hood popping and pissy cops.