WTF is this Beats By Dre epidemic? (turns into audiophile thread))

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru

I did get it from Costco but I didn't get the extended warranty. Is it really worthwhile? Have you used that provider for a "claim" in the past?

Looks like it's $129.99 for the three-year ($1,000-$1,499 bracket):
https://www.squaretrade.com/buyersvc...&utm_campaign=

or (if the previous link doesn't work):
TV Extended Warranty - Television Extended Warranty - Television Insurance"

-Brian
I do. I don't usually, but with TVs too often I've seen one fail and the cost be $450+ for some stupid logic board.

Use this Link if you can't get it from Costco (within 60days). http://www.squaretrade.com/vizio-landing1

I think the vizio squaretrade deal is better actually at $89.

I got one for my 60" and one for my 55".

Now I've seen Sony and Samsung fail. Seen Panasonic fail. Any electronic equipment can fail after the warranty and having cheap insurance like this is worth it in my book.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:04 AM

Car Info: VF48'd WRB Bugeye
I got no problem with Beats. I bought the urbeats by Alexander **** last week for ~$165 shipped and I sold them today on ebay for $300...
Old 01-02-2014, 09:55 PM

Car Info: 07 Legacy GT Wagon
I had a set of cheap Sony headphones for about two years now. I wanted to splurge and by myself a nice set. I listen to music at work all the time and I figured it was worth the investment. Plus my cheap headphones weren't cutting it when I was on a plane. I had to crank the volume all the way up to hear music/movie dialogue and I knew that wasn't the best for my ears.

Luckily I saw this thread. I was tempted to buy some Beats a while back, but I had a feeling they were marketing hype. I ended up buying Seinnheiser HD380's. They arrived today and I just downloaded a few flac albums. I'm completely blown away. I wish I would have done it sooner. Thank you I-Club for keeping me from making a bad purchasing decision.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:27 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
I have Bose QuietComfort 15 and I love them.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:25 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by Dong Homez
Thank you I-Club for keeping me from making a bad purchasing decision.
You're Welcome
Old 01-03-2014, 07:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I had a set of cheap Sony headphones for about two years now. I wanted to splurge and by myself a nice set. I listen to music at work all the time and I figured it was worth the investment. Plus my cheap headphones weren't cutting it when I was on a plane. I had to crank the volume all the way up to hear music/movie dialogue and I knew that wasn't the best for my ears.

Luckily I saw this thread. I was tempted to buy some Beats a while back, but I had a feeling they were marketing hype. I ended up buying Seinnheiser HD380's. They arrived today and I just downloaded a few flac albums. I'm completely blown away. I wish I would have done it sooner. Thank you I-Club for keeping me from making a bad purchasing decision.
Nice! You sound like a perfect candidate for a headphone amplifier. They make even "not the greatest" headphones sound much better, but usually provide a larger set of cans the "oomph" they need to sound the way they should. I have a set of Sony MDR-XB700 headphones which are not great at all, but were cheap and look like a disco on my head so people stop trying to talk to me with earbuds in. But, I use these with a Headroom TotalAirhead amp and it makes a night and day difference. I probably would not use these without it. These have a lot of bass response and not the best mids/highs, but I usually use them with an old Sony Discman D-555 which has DSP and dual Burr Brown 16 bit D/A converters and DSP, so I can adjust in a little EQ. This feeds the Airhead amp from the analog line-out port.

With something like the HD380's, it will really wake them up. Also, remember that headphones need to break in, so they will sound even better! You can speed up the process by playing some music with a beat at a low-medium volume over night or something.

I keep thinking I should pick up some HD380's but keep holding out for some HD650's. We'll see. I think the HD380's would most likely blow these Sony's away and they are pretty affordable.

Originally Posted by 1JavaBlk_in_Sac
I have Bose QuietComfort 15 and I love them.
I have a set of these as well that I use for travel, and in datacenters. They sound really nice, and I end up listening to them quite a bit. People rag on the quality of these because they are plastic, but I got mine in 2010 and have taken them on over 20 trips since then, and the case is a little worn but they look great and work fine. Excellent product.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:51 AM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
I bought some Sony mdr-zx600 not too long ago, they are ok and the price is right. I used to have a pair of mdr-v700 for djing and I loved them (untill they cracked at the plastic swivel spot).
Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Like going to the gym and seeing the black guys with them and the sun glasses inside. Firs off you look like a jack *** and second your inside wtf do you need glasses inside for!!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:27 AM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
The ones that make me laugh are the ones who buy them and suddenly become Audio gods.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX

Mark this day down!!! i-club has helped some one finally!

Congrats on the headset!
Old 01-05-2014, 06:47 AM
Old School

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008POFOHM?vs=1

Love these DT-770 headphones... $185 for the 32ohm are a steal.

$165 for the 250ohm are a steal too, but you'd need a headphone amp to power them.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:45 PM

Car Info: 2012 WRX
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Beyerdynamic DT-770-PRO-32 Closed Dynamic Headphone for Mobile Control and Monitoring Applications, 32 Ohms:Amazon:Musical Instruments

Love these DT-770 headphones... $185 for the 32ohm are a steal.

$165 for the 250ohm are a steal too, but you'd need a headphone amp to power them.
Along that line, the DT-990 Pro 250ohm is also on sale for $148.99. Based from I've read, though, this one is better suited being used with an amplifier.

Amazon.com: Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250 Professional Acoustically Open Headphones for Monitoring and Studio Applications: Musical Instruments Amazon.com: Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250 Professional Acoustically Open Headphones for Monitoring and Studio Applications: Musical Instruments

Last edited by zergling; 01-07-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:57 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Yep, you will Def need an amp for 250ohm drivers.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:30 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
I just ordered this. Hopefully you can hear me yell "BAH that is Bull ****!!!" better in games

Amazon.com: Sennheiser PC 360 Headset for Pro Gaming: Electronics Amazon.com: Sennheiser PC 360 Headset for Pro Gaming: Electronics

I need USB adapter for PS 3/4 though

Last edited by sigma pi; 01-08-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:27 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
I wonder how those stack up against the astro a50's, review please. I'd imagine the sound quality and sound stage would be better.

If only they were wireless!

Quick Reply: WTF is this Beats By Dre epidemic? (turns into audiophile thread))