WTF is this Beats By Dre epidemic? (turns into audiophile thread))

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:46 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Oh, I don't doubt that! Their monoblock amp costs quite a bit more than I paid for my WRX. All about perspectives.
ugh tell me about it, their "cheap speakers" are 60k and the tannoys are the cheap daily beaters
Old 01-09-2014, 11:44 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
Originally Posted by sigma pi
oh..... you has woo stuff

OK I have to go somewhere else to get suggestions haha

I only have the WA6. Have had it for about 6 years now. They have grown quite a bit since.

ugh tell me about it, their "cheap speakers" are 60k and the tannoys are the cheap daily beaters
After I got into this audio stuff, I truly learned, "If you have to ask how much, you probably can't afford it." I just love having to do double take on prices, "Is that $10,000.00 or was it $100,000.00."

Last edited by JZ oo7; 01-09-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:15 AM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by JZ oo7

I only have the WA6. Have had it for about 6 years now. They have grown quite a bit since.

After I got into this audio stuff, I truly learned, "If you have to ask how much, you probably can't afford it." I just love having to do double take on prices, "Is that $10,000.00 or was it $100,000.00."
yeah they have!!

Ugh tell me about it! And dont get me started on cables, not that monster crap but just as BS lol

Spike feet for the speakers....... couple hundred haha

Do i need a DAC to power the head phones or can I run a USB switch and the mixamp?
I am going to have my PC PS3 and PS4 and I want it all through the one head set.

I dont think I need all this.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:50 AM

And dont get me started on cables
Usb Digital Audio Diamond
AudioQuest-Diamond USB Cable Type A To Type B-USB Cables | Acoustic Sounds
Old 01-10-2014, 02:17 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
http://www.transparentcable.com/prod...rices_2012.pdf

yeah they have!!

Ugh tell me about it! And dont get me started on cables, not that monster crap but just as BS lol

Spike feet for the speakers....... couple hundred haha

Do i need a DAC to power the head phones or can I run a USB switch and the mixamp?
I am going to have my PC PS3 and PS4 and I want it all through the one head set.

I dont think I need all this.
What do you mean by "USB Switch"? do you just mean the mixamp? The pc360's are rated 50 ohms, thats not too bad, I'd just try it with the mixamp first and decide if you want more. Or you could order a fiio e10 (or anything similar) and compare the two. Amazon has a nice liberal return policy

Another alternative would be to look into an audio switch instead of a 3 way Y cable, too much signal degradation IMO. That or you can get a soundcard that has a ton of inputs. Also, yeah, my desktop set up isn't any better, need to save for a nice audio receiver!

the wii u is actually hooked up to one of my monitors via HDMI (with audio passthrough) then from the monitors 3.5mm jack to the dual RCA jacks on my sound card.
Attached Thumbnails WTF is this Beats By Dre epidemic? (turns into audiophile thread))-unti2tled.jpg  

Last edited by w0ng3r; 01-10-2014 at 02:31 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:57 AM
9 to 5 mod

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more! - Monoprice.com

Old 01-10-2014, 10:04 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by glenspen
This is turning into a hipster stereo thread and Walker is gonna start buiding stuff now
Hipsters suck and should drink a tall glass of bleach.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:24 AM

Nothing like 5 figure cables in the morning.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
We found the factory that makes the audioquest cables.

For $1 more per cable we can have their style cable vs what we already make. Basically a net cover and a non crimp head.

Also cut a couple of their cables. Same cores. The colors are just colors.

So built cost on any 6ft cable is about $5.

Last edited by joltdudeuc; 01-10-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:32 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
I remember reading about an "audiophile" speaker cable test. They compared expensive/cheap cables in a blind test. They all agreed that a coat hanger sounded the best not knowing it was a coat hanger.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:53 PM

i think what we are seeing is known as "marketing"
Old 01-10-2014, 02:11 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Originally Posted by queeg9k
I remember reading about an "audiophile" speaker cable test. They compared expensive/cheap cables in a blind test. They all agreed that a coat hanger sounded the best not knowing it was a coat hanger.
That sounds about right. I helped a friend when we were in highschool rewire the stereo in the car his brother gave him, his brother had bought and used a spool of brown electrical wire as his speaker cable when he first set the car up and never changed it through all of his speaker/amp upgrades. going from that cheap household lamp wire to "car audio grade" monster cable speaker wire made ZERO difference. speakers were boston acoustics and the white late 80s PPI amps.

Still dont get the hype for the BootsyBy Dre headphones
Old 01-10-2014, 03:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by queeg9k
To be fair, a coat-hanger would make a pretty awesome speaker cable, but would be a little hard to work with/route I guess.

I have wanted to ask, but - I don't want to start another "I-Club Oil Thread (tm)" or somesuch. But, what's the big deal or problem with Monster cable? I use it primarily, but admittedly because it all was free - so I have no idea what it costs. I have a pile of the "Z-series" (I think) speaker cable and that is pretty much what I use. I have cut it and added bananas and this/that and it really seems like nice stuff. I have a few interconnects (RCAs and two Toslink cables) and they are perfectly adequate. I have had the RCA's apart and they seem to be nicely made.

These were all given to me from a friend who had a pretty wild setup. He did some contract work at some sort of video place and they had some pretty amazing materials that he was able to make his own cables with (several component cables w/ BNC, balanced XLR cables for use between pre-amps and amps, HDMI cables, etc).

Anyway.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:44 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by w0ng3r
http://www.transparentcable.com/prod...rices_2012.pdf

What do you mean by "USB Switch"? do you just mean the mixamp? The pc360's are rated 50 ohms, thats not too bad, I'd just try it with the mixamp first and decide if you want more. Or you could order a fiio e10 (or anything similar) and compare the two. Amazon has a nice liberal return policy

Another alternative would be to look into an audio switch instead of a 3 way Y cable, too much signal degradation IMO. That or you can get a soundcard that has a ton of inputs. Also, yeah, my desktop set up isn't any better, need to save for a nice audio receiver!

the wii u is actually hooked up to one of my monitors via HDMI (with audio passthrough) then from the monitors 3.5mm jack to the dual RCA jacks on my sound card.
I have 3 devices and I want one headset with mic. They all have USB out/mic connectivity. How do I get this all to work?
Old 01-10-2014, 04:40 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
To be fair, a coat-hanger would make a pretty awesome speaker cable, but would be a little hard to work with/route I guess.

I have wanted to ask, but - I don't want to start another "I-Club Oil Thread (tm)" or somesuch. But, what's the big deal or problem with Monster cable? I use it primarily, but admittedly because it all was free - so I have no idea what it costs. I have a pile of the "Z-series" (I think) speaker cable and that is pretty much what I use. I have cut it and added bananas and this/that and it really seems like nice stuff. I have a few interconnects (RCAs and two Toslink cables) and they are perfectly adequate. I have had the RCA's apart and they seem to be nicely made.

These were all given to me from a friend who had a pretty wild setup. He did some contract work at some sort of video place and they had some pretty amazing materials that he was able to make his own cables with (several component cables w/ BNC, balanced XLR cables for use between pre-amps and amps, HDMI cables, etc).

Anyway.

For Free? Nothing.

For the $350 retail of what you got, yeah, not worth it.

Quick Reply: WTF is this Beats By Dre epidemic? (turns into audiophile thread))