Is it wrong to charge the media $$ for info about Jaycee kidnapping case?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 05:43 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Is it wrong to charge the media $$ for info about Jaycee kidnapping case?

Some of you might know, the neighbors of the Jaycee kidnapping house are charging the media for info about the house where Jaycee was held captive, one neighbor got $2,000 for his story to one media oulet... Now people are outraged about it and think it's wrong for them to profit from the media since it's a tragedy, etc.

Now Dr Phil is doing a story about the girl's kidnapping and condemning the fact that people are making money from the tragedy... Now if you read that right, you would have read that Dr Phil is doing a TV show which makes MILLIONS of dollars in advertising due to ratings about the same exact tragedy, but is condemning the fact that the neighbors of though captors are making money from their side of the story.

Does anyone else wish ill will onto Dr Phil? First he comes out with a diet book and now this?

I hate that bastard so much.

Also, why shouldn't those neighbors make money from the media setting up shop in their front yards?
Old 09-03-2009, 07:36 AM

Car Info: 1992 Skyline GTR BNR32
we just live in a sick and sadistic world. another person's tragedy is another's fortune. sh*t happens....
Old 09-03-2009, 07:41 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Why not ask for money? You know the media makes a fortune reporting on this stuff all the time. Why should they get all the cash?
Old 09-03-2009, 07:44 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
Why not ask for money? You know the media makes a fortune reporting on this stuff all the time. Why should they get all the cash?
Agreed, and thats my point... Dr Phil is such a hypocrite.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:45 AM

Car Info: C:/ and D:/
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
No they don't. A whole heck of a lot of our nation's media outlets are on the brink of financial collapse. The only people doing okay are the major networks, and that's only because they're a part of larger corporations that have stakes in other things than media.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:12 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by mjc1055
No they don't. A whole heck of a lot of our nation's media outlets are on the brink of financial collapse. The only people doing okay are the major networks, and that's only because they're a part of larger corporations that have stakes in other things than media.
Fine, so they use these tragedies in hope of continued sponsorship. The point still stands, the local news media is not non-profit either, so it's not absurd to ask them for money in trade for information to the story.

Theoretically, it makes little sense to provide the media with free information which will ultimately be used to gain a bigger audience and keep the sponsors happy.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:50 AM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
Personally; I wouldn't accept money for information on the case, but on the same token I don't condemn those that do.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:06 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Profiting at every moment (or trying to do so) is what our country does best! The only difference is that it's usually a business profiting rather than one person blatantly asking for money which is why people are saying it was wrong for the neighbor to ask for money.

Also, did he ask for it in order to profit or in order to punish the media for harassing the neighborhood looking for stories?

Just to be clear, what are you calling the "nation's media outlets"?

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 09-03-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:12 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX, 2015 Murano, 2017 NGM Camaro SS
Aren`t they also paying the kidnapper for interviews?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:26 AM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
Originally Posted by AlanarchySTI
Aren`t they also paying the kidnapper for interviews?
That mother ****er told a CNN reporter to go the FBI HQ in SF to get a load of documents he gave to them a few weeks ago and how it 'contains a story that will warm the hearts of all Americans and show you why I did what I did and how I am a changed man!'

**** this guy - he needs to die in a Magnesium fire; he's using this girl and her two daughters as a publicity stunt to project his tired and illogical rantings of how the government is controlling out thoughts with low wave microwaves.

If he is getting PAID as well - that money needs to go straight to the family he destroyed 18 years ago so they can go to Big 5 and buy 4 Rawlings baseball bats, Gorilla Glue, razor wire and break some glass - glue the glass to the bats and wrap it in razor wire and take turns beating him to a bloody, convoluted, pulpy, splatter of bone and flesh.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:19 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

dr phil is a hack...

no that oprah has a new doctor to bring to tv, he's feeling a little less love...
Old 09-03-2009, 06:08 PM

Car Info: 2008 Subaru Wrx Sedan
Dr Phil is a damned man traitor
Old 09-03-2009, 07:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
i never understood why people gave the media free info!

they make money on FREE stories but DAMN YOU if you try and get your fair shake off what you know.

i say we all ask for $$ in return for statements
Old 09-04-2009, 04:29 PM

yeah it's kinduv a cop out. I have to much respect for my neighbor ............unless the price is right.

When I was younger in CO, not sure the name but pretty much the tallest shear cliffs i've ever seen in my life. This guy came up to my aunt and I with hurt ankle he couldn't tell us anything and was acting super weird said his wife fell.

Welp they found her on a ledge like 250 feet below, completely naked...........he said they drank a bunch of champange at the time and she danced on the ledge and boom.

If you saw the ledge, hi as a kite, you would never thinking to dance there. it's just not a danceable. It's the type place someone holds onto if you were to stand there. Also these cliffs were in a very specific area, as well as some other totally unique landmarks and he couldn't tell us shat. Her family was sure he pushed her and that they were suppose to be splitting up, believe her family was super wealthy from florida, but I don't think the guy was hurting for money or anything.....

Point being a bunch of those douchecake news places offered to pay my aunt and I a fair amm even to be on some show........but she refused, thought it was wrong especially given the fact it'd totally cloud the publics mind, sense we really dunno what happened.

That being said, morals and all good until you NEED the money.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:45 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
Reports make a ridiculous amount of money for doing pretty much nothing other than bothering people. There are exceptions, but for the most part, they are just an annoyance. And Dr. Phil is a tool.