Why'd you buy your Subaru?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 09:54 AM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
For years I owned a '68 BMW 2002, and in '98 & '99 I heard about teh JDM WRX Imprezas.

I didn't like the fact that USDM GC Imprezas didn't have turbos, so I waited until teh GDA came out and I bought (err, leased) one.

I was also drawn to teh GDA because of the round headlights, having been used to that with old BMWs, and in general I love the way it looks.

I love AWD with turbo, and my next vehicle will prolly be an '05 STi.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
after a nissan PU and 2 dodge neons that ate gallons of oil i decided to treat myself to a fun, fast, relatively inexpensive car like the WRX. I figure i can't afford a ferrari so this is the next best thing

seriously, you're only young and stupid once:banana:

eric

also, i had been with neons.org and had noticed i-club was the place to be. Much love here!
Old 11-18-2003, 09:59 AM
This Guy Can Hella Draw!

Car Info: '14 MBP FXT | '03 WW Evo VIII
I am proud to say that I am a 2-time Impreza owner. Here is a excerpt from my web page:

Taken from www.thatguycanhelladraw.com/ralywag

I used to drive a Toyota 4Runner. For my next car I wanted the convenience of having all that space in the back and the ability to drive in the snow for when I go to to Tahoe. But I didn't wan't the bulk of an SUV. So in 1998, I bought a Subaru Impreza Outback Sport (OBS)... That's where the addiction, I mean enthusiasm, began.

I started doing research on the Impreza wagon and found out that my OBS was related to this car in Japan called the WRX. And in Japan these WRX's had 275+ horsies under their hood. I felt a little turbo envy when I read that. Then I read more about the World Rally Championships and saw the Sonic Mica Blue WRC Impreza with gold wheels. I wanted one. At that point rumors started popping up the the WRX was coming stateside. Jyeah!!!

It arrived. 227 HP?! AND it's a wagon?! Gotta make moves...

I started looking for a new job. Sold (reluctantly) the OBS. Put a deposit on a WRB WRX wagon. Ordered the gold wheels. Blau!... Raly Wag.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:11 AM
The weal amewican hewo!

Car Info: 02 Aspen White sedan
I havent bought mine yet, but I will soon...I've been into the ff scene for a long time, but after seeing, feeling and hearing what awd cars can do..i knew i had to get one (thanks aaron...you bastard :P)...plus its not that much fun driving an automatic, much less a ford (fix or repair daily<-- which i am doing quite often these days..shiot) ranger everyday...i need more power...and plus my gf and her brother want me to get it...oh also aaron....arggghhhh...hahahaha

- Daniel
Old 11-18-2003, 10:11 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Old Brighton
Power and the AWD...
Old 11-18-2003, 11:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: SCBYDON
Originally posted by OwlBoogie
I am proud to say that I am a 2-time Impreza owner.
same here, 93L and now an 04 WRX wagon...the L was chosen because it was cheap (i believe it was 10K) needed a car for college (Davis), after 10 years, decided to get another scoob. Through experience, it is very reliable, it never let me down
so i decided for the WRX, AWD and turbo with 227 whp..wow what a difference from the 1.8 front wheel drive 110whp(not sure, maybe less)

Old 11-18-2003, 11:45 AM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
i mountain bike a liot, so i wanted something with 4WD or AWD, i originally was going to buy a hyundai santa fe, but then i started to get into fast import cars, always liked subaru (from watching the speed channel) and liked the fact that subaru has been using an AWD platform in most of their cars and for a looong time (compared to most other car manufacturers). i read about the WRX in a japanese car magazine and was hooked, bought one a year after mulling it over... i am now sure i made a good choice. and to think that i almost bought a small SUV (to be completly honest the santa fe i was looking at, top trim level, was NICE!!!)
Old 11-18-2003, 02:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: WRB WRX 2003 Subaru Sedan
Oh brother. I had just about finished a lengthy story about why i have my Subaru and i accedently erased the whole thing.

Short version: The WRC (world rally championship)
Old 11-18-2003, 02:57 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Ah yes, I think I have an interesting story!

I'm 19 right now. So I never really cared about cars that much. I mean, me and one of my friends worked a crapload during middle school and high school. He was saving up to buy a car, I just kind of worked to hang out with him. Well, no we worked a CRAPLOAD. (As a sidenote, 2 months before HS graduation my friend rolls up into the parking lot in a '98 Camaro Z28. Yeah he really saved that much up, 19,000 dollars from working at Dominos all through school...)

My car throughout high school was my dad's '88 transam...190 hp, 300 lb/ft of tq! I almost killed myself so many times driving that car...spun out, ended up in ditches, went over intersection barriers, embarrising myself in front of girls lol. I swear driving that for 2 years and just surviving made me such a better driver learning some vehicle dynamics (they don't teach you how to control RWD and high power in driver's ed ya know) I finally figured out why it spun out if I floored it...

Anyways I was really into swords since I did Iaido, and I was actually saving up to buy the Howard Clark L-6 super katana from MVforge (which was 6000 dollars, it can break through concrete!) along with custom fittings, a custom saya(scabbard) that would be another few grand.

When I was 17 my dad took me to see Fast and The Furious. LOL no this isn't a ricer remark coming up. My dad sees the supra and says to me "You know back when I bought the transam, I was thinking about the old version of that car, a supra turbo. I hear it 's a pretty nice car. Since the transam's getting old, you want one when you go to college?

GET THIS, i say "No dad that car costs too much. Besides it's used, and my car still runs"

To this day I am kicking myself in the nuts for not taking him up on that offer.

I start getting into cars because my friends are all into cars. The thing is Hondas of course, so I want to go lease a GSR. I'm thinking, screw the 6000 dollar katana. Now my parents have a change of heart: "Nah your car still runs. Besides your going to college soon and what if you go to the east coast or far away?" DAMNIT. GOD...DAMNIT...

So I'm like screw it, I'm getting a used car. I can just take my money and pay for it whole, my parents can't stop me, I'm almost 18! Which is pretty much what I do the summer after graduation, work 50 hours a week. Of course, my College doesn't allow freshmen to drive, so omg more pain, more pain. I spend the entire freshman year researching MR2 turbos. I get pretty knowledgable about them, and add that to some of the engineering fundamentals I took for classes, I start to understand automotive science. So end of frosh year, 6 months ago, I come back spring break to look for a car. At this point, I have 12000 dollars, which is damn good money to buy a used MR2. I find one that my friend's brother is selling. It's a '93 with a GenIII JDM swap, owned by Keith Lee. If any of you have had an MR2, you know that guy, he does Boosted Communications and sells Aquamist along with David. Anyways that's the cleanest car ever, like brand new, and he lowered the price to 11000 from his initial asking price of 13,000. I take a ride in his car and DAMN, I'm sold. BUT, some guy from socal wires in a deposit on his car. So I came THAT close to buying that car.

End of the year. Come back, going to find another MR2 turbo. My parents go "Don't buy a used car" I'm like "I can't afford a new car" they are like "How about a new Hyundai or a civic?" I'm like "NOOOOOOOO!!!!" By the way, the premise is that my parents are paying for insurance, because they believe education is first, but they want me to work for my stuff b/c they grew up in Taiwan after fleeing from the communists and had to beg for food and sell recycled toothpaste bottles etc. So they go "well you're going to work in college right?" My dad's an accountant and figures that if I make around 200 a month after taxes, I can afford a low 20 thousand dollar car. So basically there's this car that jus came out called the SRT4. w00t. I got test drive that car and fall in love.

(continued in next post)_
Old 11-18-2003, 02:58 PM

For those of you who have never actually been inside an SRT4, that interior owns. FMIC, so clean, so clean... 19,000 plus 0 percent financing. hmm....sold. Well just for the hell of it we go to a Subaru dealer and drive a wrx. I beat the sht out of my test car.

If any of you bought a white spoilered WRX w/ 350 miles on it from Livermore Subaru know that I beat the sht out of it.

And it's fun, you know. I just negotiate a price for fun. Comes out to 20,500 for a base model. I kind of like it better than the SRT4, just feels better but hmm...1.9 percent financing well i dunno.

Next day call the dodge dealership, gonna walk in and buy it. "No actually it's 4 percent financing, our salesmen misquoted to you" Well, that does it then, the SRT4 and WRX are about the same price out the door and with interest, so the WRX it is.

Fast forward to today. I have to work 15 hours a week to make car payments plus cash to go out to a movie dinner or club every saturday and friday night, and gas costs me an arm and a leg. Plus I am an electrical engineering major and I have no time. So I am failing school because I love my wrx. The end.

THE END.

And that's my riceboy ricer story :banana:
Old 11-18-2003, 03:01 PM

PS that's why I never go to meets, because I am so damn busy working to pay for this car I never actually get to enjoy it arghhhh....

....and the ****tiest part is that it's at home right now b/c I'm too cheap to pay for a whole year's parking permit....
Old 11-18-2003, 03:03 PM

whoops forgot to mention, put 11,000 down on the wrx, otherwise no way monthly would be $247.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
Now that's a story... :banana:

Quick Reply: Why'd you buy your Subaru?