Why'd you buy your Subaru?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 05:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
I was given a mag (think it was fast fours) from the AU with wrx's in it and from that moment forward i needed a WRX. PRoblem being that they didnt sell them here (this was 99). Looked into importing one but the costs were way out of my reach at the time, so i just started working harder and saving more money with the notion that eventually i would come up with 30-40g to import over parts or a whole car. Well guess i had good luck they finaly brought over the wrx and i got one as soon as i could.

Havent looked back since even thru blown trannies, and financial issues the last thing that anyone will pry out of my cold dead hands will be my steering wheel. (hope i dont die in a crash and this be some of my last haunting words)
Old 11-18-2003, 06:31 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
from what I hear talking to people, magazine articles and video games seem to be the two big reasons.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
QUOTE by dr3d1zzle: "the last thing that anyone will pry out of my cold dead hands will be my steering wheel".

Thats classic

:banana:
Old 11-18-2003, 08:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Seriously...back in '96 I wanted something 4wd that I could charge to the mountains with (snowboarding) and go off-roading/rock-crawling with. Exploders were out right off the bat because they're Exploders. I really wanted a Wrangler to lift/mod, but my dad wasn't having any of that. We were looking for something wagonish that also had 4/AWD and Subaru's were the only things that fit that description. We went to Downtown Oakland Toyota/Saab/Subaru and were looking at the '96 Legacy Brightons. Base model, no frills, but AWD and stick. I think they were the 2.2L, but I was naive at the time and didn't know much about Subarus. As we were about to leave the salesman said some doctor just turned in his leased '93 Legacy Touring Wagon. It only had 34K miles on it and was babied. It also had a 10 disc changer installed...STOKED. And it was fast. A LOT faster than any of the other N/A Subarus I'd been test driving. I knew it was the car for me and I'm still holding to that...7 years later .
Old 11-18-2003, 09:21 PM

Car Info: Heated Leather Seats
When I turned 16 in 1996 I had no car and barely any money to spend on a car and insurance. Well as luck would have it I found a 1985 Subaru GL 2wd station wagon for about $1800. As luck would have it it only had about 200,000 miles on it and I was thrilled to end my summer vacation and go back to school with my very own car!

After 2 years of abuse, jumping on dirt roads, hydroplaning across creeks that shouldn't have been attemped without a truck, and the countless trips to the river with 5 people in the BACK of the wagon I retired the beast and went to college.

Looking back going to school without a car was a bad idea. So after my freshman year I got hooked on the idea of finding an integra to play with but ended up geting the luxo-beast: a 1987 Acura Legend. Blah blah blah. I sold the Acura about a year later.

In April of 2000 I became hopelessly addicted to i-club and decided that i wanted, or NEEDED a Subaru. I had wanted to find a super cheap first gen RS but ended up with a bright red 93 AWD Impreza wagon. Great car. I ended up scavenging parts from other members on the board and ended up with a pretty cool car which ended up being a lot of fun to drive. with 129,000 on the ODO and being able to afford something more I found a 1998 Legacy GT on autotrader.com and pounced on the great deal.

I am starting to eyeball the bugeye WRX and as soon as this car is payed off I think I'll start looking for a black wagon.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:15 PM

Car Info: 1986 Supra
Back in Septemer of '99 I was cut off on 85 by an idiot in a volvo, and did a 360 though four lanes of freeway. Luckily it was a Sunday morning, and traffic was really light. That incident made me think that a car with a better suspension and awd would be a smart plan. I was in love with the TT at the time, I wanted Silver with the sports package. But, it was the height of the dot-com era, and the Audi dealers in the Bay Area were getting huge mark-ups. Stevens Creek wanted $10K over sticker. They also said that if I put down $1000.00 as a deposit, that they'd order a car for me and I'd only have to pay MSRP, Although i'd have to wait 3 months while they built the car. That seemed fair. Well, several months later, after hearing nothing back from them, I called. It was then that I was told that they had not ordered it, and that they had no intention of ordering my car for at least another 6 months. And then there was the wait while the built it and shipped it. I was amazed at that, so I bought a silver 2.5RS coupe the same day. Ever since I've been sold.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:25 PM

Car Info: was 05 WRX Wagon
After selling my A4 Quattro this past April, I actually decided to save a bit more money to get the 350Z Track Edition. Then my wife's cousin rolled up in a MBP WRX and let me drive it. Needless to say, I was hooked..., AWD, turbo, 4 doors, it was a just like the 1.8T A4, but FASTER!!!! Found a Sedona red w/ leather interior and been smiling ever since (the $12K I saved from passing on the 350Z helps too!) :banana:
Old 11-18-2003, 11:27 PM

Car Info: '08 GT3/'08 Cayenne Turbo/'02 WRX Sedan/'95 E36 M3
hm... i was walking around bored with my brother in san diego one day... when we decided to go test drive cars so, we hit a bmw dealer, wanting to drive a 540...except the guy wouldn't let us! so we left mad and he decided enough test driving. time to service his outback. so we go to the dealer at carlsbad (this is june 2001) and while he's there handling things, i happen to walk into the show room to see a blue wrx sitting right there staring at me and calling: "bye me". so i put a down payment on it, walk outside, call my parents
next day i'm back in the bay area, and i go to steven's creek and begin talking them down. two days later, i had me a subie.
i bought it because i wanted an awd system and i wanted something with 4 doors and that was bigger and faster than my '93 civic dx (which is real easy to beat). so my choices came down to basically the audi a4 1.8t quattro or the wrx.
at that time, everyone and their mom had an audi, so i figured i'd be original.
yay for the adoption of babysmurf! june 2001. whole process from spotting to buying = 3 days
Old 11-19-2003, 02:56 AM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Man, I remember at time I wasn't proud to point at the old 92 Integra I used to have and say it's mine. The Impreza has given me a lot of confidence since whenever someone asks me what I drive, I can proudly say, "I drive a Subaru Impreza". Even though it's not a WRX, I still was proud to say it's a 2.5RS. Cuz a lot of people who look at my car say, "Yea, I like that body style better than the new ones, all you need is the motor!" Haha. I love the compliments the GC8 gets, "those vents are bad ***", "your car looks mean!", "man, I don't see those anymore." Don't get me wrong, I love the WRX's, but the GC8 was the car I loved the most.

Last edited by Hollandaze; 11-19-2003 at 02:59 AM.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Talking

Don't get me wrong, I love the WRX's, but the GC8 was the car I loved the most.
I loved the RS so much I made my wife (gf at the time) get one after we graduated college in May 2000

-Brian
Old 11-20-2003, 05:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
the first time i saw it on the road i just had to stop and admire it, it was like love at first sight, so then i started saving money then finally traded in my 98 dodge neon sport edition. and now a proud owner of a rex.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Evolution VIII
Back when racing and modifying japanese cars fad (91-93) started in So.Cal, I already heard and learned about the JDM wrx impreza thru various japanese car mag. Altho couldn't read most of it but i was able to have it translated by a Japanese friend from a local shop in so.cal. At the same time those old EVO GSRs were just as cool too.
I was quite disappointed that these cars never made it here in the states earlier. It would have changed the import scene completely. These cars would have no doubt been my first choice.

So I patiently waited and gone thru numerous cars at the same time(93 GSR integ, 93 MR2turbo, and 92 Galant VR4 closest thing to EVO back then), I decided to go w/ 2000 2.5RS simply because there wasn't much available when I was in the market. I didn't want to drive a car that everyone was driving, at the same time i was on a limited budget.
Then I saw it coming together. I knew the WRX would eventually land here! Just didn't know when exactly! and after the confirmation of new age wrx would be available in N.A, that EJ20 powerplant was a piece of puzzle towards to complete my dream car growing up- a 2.5RS w/ EJ20 powerplant. Thanks to I-speed crew for hooking me up and the support from the Ole and new skool crew that started BAIC. It has been a blessing! hahaha

Altho I switched to EVO now, but Subaru is still one of my favorites.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
I had been watching the Impreza 2.5RS ever since it came out and it made me aware of the WRX and the FIA's WRC. I had already been into road racing a bit and as you might expect, drooled over R34 pictures.

To me the WRX was like a R34's little bro: 1 turbo instead of 2, AWD, small to mid size, boxy, and an engine that wasn't as common as the usual inline-4 or v6 (save for BMWs ).

I went and test drove a 2.5RS maybe after its 2nd or 3rd year and found the AWD a blast. I let them copy my DL and they gave me keys and me and my best friend went drifting again and again around this little button-hook of a turn. I was hooked

But, I really wanted a car that came with a turbo. As the editor of Turbo Mag wrote something similar recently: The highly disappointed Eclipse fans must've been pretty happy after the WRX came out, despite the demise of the new generation Eclipse. Tuning a car that comes with a turbo deletes so many pains in the ****.

jason