Why you never buy a used STI

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:26 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
I don't see anything wrong with what he's doing.I occasionally take my wagon offroading, and my car is perfectly fine. And as to kYLEMtnCRUZr, what does it matter to you, "spoiled brat", you dont even know this guy. And from reading your comments, you're just trying to start an argument. Obviously you're acting more immature than he is. OH and another thing about 'never buying used STi's. Its not safe buying any used car, especially a used sports car. But then again,the car does belong to him, and not a rental like Blockbuster video which you have to return. But w.e. just my 2 cents.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
The two day rallyX schools are indispensible. Tons of great information and a decent amount of seat time in the dirt. I'd highly recommend attending one if you're into rally or just driving on dirt. You'll learn a lot and have a TON of fun, not to mention meet and hang out with a bunch of other rallyheads. Anyone interested should also look out for the Redwood Rendevous that psoper puts on in the summer/fall which is a weekend of driving some of the best dirt roads in Norcal. These cars were born on gravel rally stages beginning with the early 90's Legacy turbos which had the same general chassis layout as the GM/GC Impreza evolving all the way to the modern Impreza.

Enough nostalgia, a little rallying sounds damn good right about now...Oh wait...Rally Sweden starts TOMORROW!!!

-Brian
Old 02-07-2008, 10:19 PM

Car Info: 2006 Aspen White Subaru WRX STI
Originally Posted by subie OCD
LOL, you're telling me to calm down? How many times have you asked him the same question? He obviously doesn't want to answer the question (probably to avoid any drama). Who cares if he is lucky enough to have parents that bought him an expensive toy?

To answer your question, No, I would NEVER buy my child a sports car in their young age (to spare their lives) but please dont hate on somebody that is in that situation, it just comes across as jealousy.

Do you know this dude? Just because somebody is spoiled (aka, very fortunate) does not automatically mean they are a brat. Judging buy his posts, he seems very calm/reasonable.
Originally Posted by pwnx0rz
I don't see anything wrong with what he's doing.I occasionally take my wagon offroading, and my car is perfectly fine. And as to kYLEMtnCRUZr, what does it matter to you, "spoiled brat", you dont even know this guy. And from reading your comments, you're just trying to start an argument. Obviously you're acting more immature than he is. OH and another thing about 'never buying used STi's. Its not safe buying any used car, especially a used sports car. But then again,the car does belong to him, and not a rental like Blockbuster video which you have to return. But w.e. just my 2 cents.
thank you. im tired of people trying to start fights on forums just because im young and have an STI. and another thing i dont get is why kYLEMtnCRUZr is complaining about me offroading my car when he does the same thing? if he's saying i dont have any skill: i dont have any curvy dirt roads in my area, and im damn near positive i have less driving experience than he does. instead of talking crap about my driving, giving some pointers to help me improve would be much more useful and positive
Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
well he got the off road part of the equation right.
doesnt mean S*** when theres no love, or style involved
Thats all i can say. I guess its good to see a variety of videos, even if it makes me cry.

donuts just come off as ricer to me, its pointless, i dont know.

you definately have potential for a sick video, you just have to apply to a few good turns.

And the only reason i show little respect for this situation is an old friend that totalled 2 cars before he was 20 and his parents paid for it all and he showed no respect or appreciation towards them. we arent friends anymore because he is a selfish plastic hearted B**** and i moved on.

Not to mention this is the internet where kids do this kind of S*** every week.

I couldve said a lot worse, i thought i was feeling the situation out quite lightly. cant ruin friendships that havent been started...

Lucky for me i dont care about my E-cred, I love meeting people and am very friendly

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 02-07-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Originally Posted by msgsti217
cant drift an AWD car
Says who?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:42 PM

Car Info: missing my STI 2006
Sorry

[quote=msgsti217;2101954]thank you. im tired of people trying to start fights on forums just because im young and have an STI. and another thing i dont get is why kYLEMtnCRUZr is complaining about me offroading my car when he does the same thing? if he's saying i dont have any skill: i dont have any curvy dirt roads in my area, and im damn near positive i have less driving experience than he does. instead of talking crap about my driving, giving some pointers to help me improve would be much more useful and positive[/quote

WOW sorry to start all this msgsti217 if I knew people would start jump all over the place I would have left it alone but people are open to their opinion.
Myself I don't drive my car this way but thats just me..

To everyone else....no our cars are not made to be jumped and driving like this when the leave the FACTORY they are not intended to be driven like this.... ( yes I know this will open another can of worms) Yes Suabru rally cars do jump and drive off road but these cars are highly reinforced their suspension alone cost almost as much as a stock STI this makes them capable of jumping and not destroying the car at the same time.
Yes STIs are AWD and 300+ tq/Hp out of the box rally cars just because they have a wing and etc, they can be turned into one.

I only posted this video as joke as to why you should not buy a used STI ha ha ha
If you parents did buy you the car more power to you I wish mine did so I would not have to be paying it off.... Later
Old 02-07-2008, 11:51 PM

Car Info: 2005 Forester X
my 0.02
1: our cars (the STi) are not made for this. What goes into a rally car is actually no where near! what stock STi have. http://youtube.com/watch?v=BuVQ48o2sRc
2: What he did to his car is totally up to him and I agree with his freedom to do so. At least he didn't do it around anyone who could get hurt. I personally won't do such a thing for a few reason [1: I can't afford to fix any major problems if something does happen, 2: I like my car to be clean; I work too hard for it to be accidently wasted, 3: I drive my car on the street almost 100% of the time, my car isn't set up for off road deep pot hole driving]
3: Moreda5 is a friend of mine and he didn't put this up to flame anyone, he just saw a video and wanted to share. He isn't much of a hater; that is my job.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:08 AM

" cant drift an AWD car"

Originally Posted by RedStage
Says who?
yeah really!

first of all, if you want pointers, you have to understand that AWD CAN drift!

and i know its possible i might meet you some day, and if how i portray you as is false, then its totally my bad and a false assumption. You just have to understand the video isnt helping you much in that area, and i argue and "complain" very little unless i reach certain subjects that get me going. I bet there are a bunch of people in the same boat as me, they are just better at controlling their typing

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 02-08-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:23 AM

Car Info: 2017 STI
he should really start in something like a wrx to pick up his skills with rallying/mudding.... waste of an sti.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:52 AM

Car Info: 2006 Aspen White Subaru WRX STI
Originally Posted by RedStage
Says who?
well, drift on dirt, yes of course

but not drifting in the popular sense on an asphault track...unless you do the RWD conversion
Old 02-08-2008, 08:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru
The two day rallyX schools are indispensible. Tons of great information and a decent amount of seat time in the dirt. I'd highly recommend attending one if you're into rally or just driving on dirt. You'll learn a lot and have a TON of fun, not to mention meet and hang out with a bunch of other rallyheads. Anyone interested should also look out for the Redwood Rendevous that psoper puts on in the summer/fall which is a weekend of driving some of the best dirt roads in Norcal. These cars were born on gravel rally stages beginning with the early 90's Legacy turbos which had the same general chassis layout as the GM/GC Impreza evolving all the way to the modern Impreza.

Enough nostalgia, a little rallying sounds damn good right about now...Oh wait...Rally Sweden starts TOMORROW!!!

-Brian
That sounds like so much fun... All I have right now is my Justy 4x4 but it has good ground clearance, true 4x4 and weighs less than an Elise. It has new tires, shocks, bunch of new suspension parts and it needs some dirt bad. It's getting a trans rebuild at Suby of Santa Cruz right now and I can't wait to get it back. I am going to look into the Rallyx school as both my lady and I love dirt driving. So hoping to make it to psoper's drive. Crossing fingers I can make it this year.

I have wanted to do the Redwood Rondevous for so long but every time I have to miss it for some reason. The R32 might be ok out there, but the Justy would be so much fun... Taking it up to Hammy I have to pull over sometimes because I am laughing too hard...

AWESOME pic by the way!!!!!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by drtofu
"You can't really hurt the car" is what I wrote. Bumpers and plastic parts torn off are all cosmetic and are cheap and easy to fix. If you're worried about that, don't go full speed into a huge puddle!

So counting up the damage I've seen... I've seen an EVO bumper ripped off at a rallyX because it was so darn low, but the driver was jazzed it happened. I can't remember even cosmetic problems with Subarus except for when the car goes off. Have you seen anything more serious?

Maybe I'm just 'lucky', but I've seen far worse damage the paved group drives I've been on. Usually a car slides into a ditch and BAM! all the suspension bits are ripped out on one of the wheels.

Well that is awesome to hear then. When I was living in Hawaii and in high school, we would go on the cane roads and just go nuts but none of us had vidcams or STis... I had an '88 Subaru RX and my friend had an '82 510. There were a bunch of other things like a Ranger, chevy truck, Jeeps and some other cars. I have seen smaller cars roll during a slide - like hitting a rut or a rock, bent/broken axles (jumping a dirt pile), ripped off shock mounts, tweaked frames etc. Maybe it's the areas or the antics but we didn't do anything any crazier than those dudes with the old Toy trucks out at Hollister. Just trail driving, donuts, small jumps, powerslides blah blah blah. Having fun. Learning that you don't park your car after driving through a cane field (fire). I never screwed up my Suby or the Sentra I had after that (well I hit a tree in the mud when I couldn't stop but only broke a light and dented the fender).

Probably the funniest was when I lived in England and we would go driving on the tank roads. I tore the bumper off my Mondeo, and then went and got an Impreza turbo wagon. I will have to post up some pics of those cars later when I get home.

Anyway, it sounds like these outings are safer than I thought. I just know there are a few people even in this thread that have never gotten their cars dirty. I would hate to have someone ruin their new car because they had no dirt experience and thought their car couldn't get hurt - you know? That's all.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Justy's are sweet if you've got one that's still running well. There was a guy in Colorado that ran the RallyXs out there that had a Justy with a Legacy turbo 2.2T in it that was quick as hell. It was sweet to say the least. Lots of custom work though.

The dirt drives we usually go on don't involve real 4x4 stuff. We're mainly driving forest service roads and whatnot that are well maintained aside from the occasional washboard. You can really have some fun, but it's a fairly safe environment. It all depends on the driver really .

-Brian
Old 02-08-2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by 2.5Blk
he should really start in something like a wrx to pick up his skills with rallying/mudding.... waste of an sti.
The secret is learning how to maintain your momentum in a low HP car. Once you learn how to maintain momentum around a turn...THEN you can mash the gas and let the HP do the talking when you exit.

If i had all the money in the world, my first car would still be a Miata or 2.5NA
Old 02-08-2008, 01:18 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Sportwagon
Originally Posted by msgsti217
well, drift on dirt, yes of course

but not drifting in the popular sense on an asphault track...unless you do the RWD conversion
I thought STi's could drift if you put the DCCD to max out the power to the rear tires?

Quick Reply: Why you never buy a used STI