Where Should I Go To Buy a Gun

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:39 PM

Car Info: A Dirty Car
Question Where Should I Go To Buy a Gun

Well, I know there are numerous gun enthusiasts not only in the Bay Area, but also on these forums. I own 0 firearms, and am in the market to purchase my first. My question to those that know is, where is a good place in the Bay Area to buy a gun? I'm in the market for a Bolt-Action .308 Rifle and am leaning towards something in the Remington 700 series . I'm dead set on a .308 rifle, so if anyone also has any recommendations on which one, or even a good scope that would be appreciated too!

So, where are some good shops? I went to BassProShop this weekend, but they only had like 2 or 3 .308's.

Any information on anything above would be greatly appreciated!

Really looking into this Bad Boy!
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ong-range.aspx

Thanks
-Ryan

Last edited by Volkey; 02-23-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:06 PM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
I can't speak of recent inventory, but Target Master in Milpitas has a decent stock of rifles. There's also Valkryie Arms in Milpitas, I've been there once and don't remember there being too many bolt-action rifles. But I'm sure those guys can get whatever. It's only a matter of time before one of them chimes in here
Old 02-22-2012, 10:25 PM

Car Info: EQ tuned v8 ej207 and loving it!!!
back alley in oakland....for the cheep...lol
probass will order any remington you want
Old 02-22-2012, 10:26 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
i think a i-club member works at a gun shop. I remember a hand gun as his avatar
Old 02-22-2012, 10:33 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
Originally Posted by golfsick
back alley in oakland....for the cheep...lol
where exactly? If I buy 5 guns...will I get 6th free? I'm on the way!...JUST KIDDING
Old 02-22-2012, 10:36 PM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
Originally Posted by bkblitzed
i think a i-club member works at a gun shop. I remember a hand gun as his avatar
That would be EastBay_STI (not 100% sure I got that right) and he works at Valkyrie Arms

Originally Posted by 1JavaBlk_in_Sac
where exactly? If I buy 5 guns...will I get 6th free? I'm on the way!...JUST KIDDING
I was just about done with a PM to you when I saw the "JUST KIDDING"
Old 02-22-2012, 10:45 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Go wherever you feel comfortable. Visit every gun shop you can. Know what you want, but listen to what they suggest. If it's a range/shop then shoot every damn thing they say you should buy. Insist on it. After that buy where you're happiest. Only advice I can give.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:00 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
You're in Livermore, so check out J and R Guns
I've never worked with them. but they have a great reputation

My fav shop is Sportsman Supply in Campbell
Old 02-22-2012, 11:13 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
In my experience buying guns I've found forums to be a much more useful source of information than brick and mortar stores. When purchasing, I would check out the classifieds section on CalGuns.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:09 AM

Car Info: 06 WRX, 04 FXT, 02 Forester L, 95 JDM LGT
Targetmasters has a few 700's but id stay away and go somewhere like Valkyrie or Reeds unless you're ready for over an hour of unnecessary paperwork and poor customer service. Valkyrie tends to be more "black rifle" oriented, but i have seen a 700 there before. Reeds has lost of bolt actions and 700's but their staff is a little on the gun snob side. Ive bought guns at all three and they all have good and bad things about each. my favorite is Valkyrie though, they also have the best customer service.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:17 AM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon 5spd, '11 R6 Race
any opposition to buying a gun online? They have to be sent to a gun store for pick up, thats what my buddy did here with his walther ppq

but that's in colorado, same rule applies in CA?
Old 02-23-2012, 01:38 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by salvator_rizzo
any opposition to buying a gun online? They have to be sent to a gun store for pick up, thats what my buddy did here with his walther ppq

but that's in colorado, same rule applies in CA?

nope... my last "few" purchases has been online. including my TACTI-COOL savage arms .308 "sniper rifle from a place in nevada that i bought it from.

saved lots.

the procedure these days (and it may have changed a bit): the seller just has to have a "special" license that could be gotten from the CA DOJ's website (takes about 10 minutes) and then once your transaction is complete, the seller MUST ship the firearm to an FFL (a gun store or an individual who has the proper license). usually you need to ship the firearm overnight due to certain laws.

you then pay this store's or person's transfer fees. along with DROS (dealer's record of sale) fee. fill out a 4473 form.

wait 10 days (ok, ten 24-hour periods) and then you are good to go! assuming you pass the background check, yada, yada, yada...

before, the FFL didnt have to charge you tax, hence saving you $$$ when you paid for like a $3000 rifle, not that i wouldnt know about it...

but these days, new laws says they must...
Old 02-23-2012, 01:47 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by Volkey
I'm dead set on a .308 rifle, so if anyone also has any recommendations on which one, or even a good scope that would be appreciated too!
what is the intended purpose of this rifle?

hunting or something else?

cause you dont wanna be carrying a heavy "tacti-cool" rifle for hunting, especially when you are walking miles and miles...

if for something else, expect to pay as much or more for a "good" scope.

say if the rifle is $2000, expect to pay that much if not twice for a scope to make that rifle shoot the way it was intended.

leupold makes really fine scopes. after that, night force, then US OPTICS will make that rifle shoot how it was intended.

then take some shooting classes. this is a "mod" that follows you forever...
Old 02-23-2012, 08:01 AM

Car Info: A Dirty Car
Originally Posted by Lowend
You're in Livermore, so check out J and R Guns
I've never worked with them. but they have a great reputation

My fav shop is Sportsman Supply in Campbell
You know, I have lived in Livermore all my life and that Gun Store has been there as far back as I remember. Everytime I have tried to go check it out, there doors are locked, lights are off, and they are closed! I have never seen them open..

Originally Posted by ldivinag
what is the intended purpose of this rifle?

hunting or something else?

cause you dont wanna be carrying a heavy "tacti-cool" rifle for hunting, especially when you are walking miles and miles...

if for something else, expect to pay as much or more for a "good" scope.

say if the rifle is $2000, expect to pay that much if not twice for a scope to make that rifle shoot the way it was intended.

leupold makes really fine scopes. after that, night force, then US OPTICS will make that rifle shoot how it was intended.

then take some shooting classes. this is a "mod" that follows you forever...
This rifle will more than likely never be used for hunting. Strictly target shooting as well as starting a new hobby. I have done lots of research, and have seen how expense if ca get however I am starting to get into the idea of no only shooting, but also building guns. So no hunting for me, just paper

Im looking more and more into this guy
Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 XCR Tactical Long Range - Remington Centerfire Rifles
Old 02-23-2012, 08:30 AM

Car Info: 2011 DGM STI HB
I purchased my first handgun yesterday at City Arms in Pacifica. Great selection, prices were on par with other shops around and top notch customer service.

Quick Reply: Where Should I Go To Buy a Gun