Wheel Spacer size?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:55 PM

Car Info: Subaru 2005 WRX
interested on the Type 2120 17x9, mmmmm

coo thanks for the info, ill look them up!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:28 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX
17x9's with a 245 tire should give you the wider look you want. Thats what I have. Im lowered on swift springs and I dont rub.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:59 AM

Have you drive up tahoe during the winter & how was the ride? Thanks,
Old 08-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by kbeetz
17x9's with a 245 tire should give you the wider look you want. Thats what I have. Im lowered on swift springs and I dont rub.
A proper offset a large part of that.

Long6gauge, for winter you want narrow wheels and tires.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
A proper offset a large part of that.

Long6gauge, for winter you want narrow wheels and tires.
So i should keep my stock wheels then, whats the BEST suggested size of wheels that i can use for off roading & daily driving, im trying to set my ride were i dont have to keep swapping wheels during season changes,
Old 08-28-2012, 07:58 AM

Car Info: 07 UGM FXT
Originally Posted by long6gauge
So i should keep my stock wheels then, whats the BEST suggested size of wheels that i can use for off roading & daily driving, im trying to set my ride were i dont have to keep swapping wheels during season changes,
What type of off road driving?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
On the stock wheels, either 205/55/16 or 225/50/16 are the 2 sizes people generally use.

You don't necessarily need to stick to the stock wheels, I was just telling you that you don't want to go too wide. 9" is redundant for street use, can potentially have fitment issues, and may not be the best choice for winter driving if you spend a lot of time in Tahoe. The reason you want narrow tires is because less surface area = higher surface pressure, which means that they will have an easier time sinking in and digging to snow. When you have wider tires they have lower pressure and sit on top of the snow.

Last edited by Brfatal; 08-28-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:25 AM

On the stock wheels, either 205/55/16 or 225/50/16 are the 2 sizes people generally use.

You don't necessarily need to stick to the stock wheels, I was just telling you that you don't want to go too wide. 9" is redundant for street use, can potentially have fitment issues, and may not be the best choice for winter driving if you spend a lot of time in Tahoe. The reason you want narrow tires is because less surface area = higher surface, which means that they will have an easier time sinking in and digging to snow. When you have wider tires they have lower pressure and sit on top of the snow.
Hence why I have 17x8!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:54 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Swapping wheels out for different seasons/conditions is a great idea. I do it, only takes about 20-25 min and that includes the time to drink a beer.

If you are going to Tahoe in the winter and summer I would suggest using your stock rims for a quality set of all season tires that are rated for mud and snow. If its just for the winter you can do a set of dedicated snow tires though my car handles the snow just fine on all seasons.

For around The bay you can go 17x8 and run a quality summer tire (lots of people use them in the winter here too but remember the wet traction will be compromised)

For "off road" driving find a cheap set of 15x5.5-6 as it is hard to find "rally" style tires in larger sizes.

Hope this helps. Also take my advice with a grain of salt as I am still learning my self. Don't forget to come to BAM and see what other people are running as it may inspire you.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-ar...2012-a-242731/
Old 08-28-2012, 01:53 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^reply

i wish i had my own garage to store the wheels & be able to do my own work on my ride, i still have to tamke my ride at a shop to get work done, cant even do my own oil change, lol,

i actually have 225/50/R16 BFG Super Sport A/S Plus on stock wheels, ive used these same brand & model tires on my Nissan Sentra last year when i went up Tahoe for snowboarding & they handled pretty well on slush snow,

still debating if i should go 16x8 on aftermarket wheels so i could use the new tires i just bought & just get winter tires for my stock wheels or if i should get 17x9 & spend more cash, damnnnnnnn, it aint easy if you have a low budget, lol,

i didnt know you could fit 15" wheels on a WRX, wow, thats good to know!

you have helped me a lot brah!!! thanks for the advice & i really dont mind if you guys correct me on the mistakes i make, i love learning NEW things!!!

ill see you for sure at BAM!!! just need to play golf w/ my uncle in the morning then imma head out to Mt Hammy!!! thanks!!!

Last edited by long6gauge; 08-28-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by DSav408
What type of off road driving?
on dirt & mud, my buddies goes off roading w/ there Durango & Chevy truck, they told me that theres a course that i could take my WRX on, ill get more info about it & let you know, i did go off roading w/ my Nissan Xterra in Reno, that was fun!!! forgot w/c parts of the mountain we took,
Old 08-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
on dirt & mud, my buddies goes off roading w/ there Durango & Chevy truck, they told me that theres a course that i could take my WRX on, ill get more info about it & let you know, i did go off roading w/ my Nissan Xterra in Reno, that was fun!!! forgot w/c parts of the mountain we took,
in this case... just keep your stock wheels and suspension because those flushed wheels aren't going to hold up. heck you may destroy those wheels going off roading with em. maybe a better idea to just get forged and smaller wheels and invest more into a skid plate.

only if your doing off roading of course..
Old 08-28-2012, 02:07 PM

Then I would concentrate on getting tires more than poking out your wheels.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:09 PM

You don't necessarily need to stick to the stock wheels, I was just telling you that you don't want to go too wide. 9" is redundant for street use, can potentially have fitment issues, and may not be the best choice for winter driving if you spend a lot of time in Tahoe. The reason you want narrow tires is because less surface area = higher surface, which means that they will have an easier time sinking in and digging to snow. When you have wider tires they have lower pressure and sit on top of the snow.
im actually running 226/50/R16 BFG on my stock wheels wright now, so i might go 17x8 then or just go 16x8, the advice about narrow tires did help me out alot, now i just need to figure out what size of wheels to choose, lol, thanks brah!! l8,
Old 08-28-2012, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by DSav408
Then I would concentrate on getting tires more than poking out your wheels.
i just thought that pushing out the wheels would actually make a difference but yah the tires does do most of the work on traction & stability,

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacer size?