UFC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 09:20 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
That **** happens I'll stop watching it. Rather watch golf.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:18 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
Please read the article you linked or commented on.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:28 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by ruehl
Please read the article you linked or commented on.
Ha! And you please get a sense of humor/sarcasm

Both author and I were speculating as to what will happen, but regardless of personal opinions the single undeniable fact is this...

you can be sure no private equity firm, like the ones backing this purchase, pays 25 times earnings to pilot the ship exactly the same way.
Therefore, it still remains to be seen which way poop hits the fan, but I am just a little skeptical about a pure entertainment company getting into organized professional sports cool aid under such circumstances.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 07-15-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:15 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
Didnt seem like he took it as a joke and I've seen others post elsewhere about the WWE confusion. But they won't make it scripted since it'll just be competing with a bigger fish in WWE. Also, the sport is perfect for today's world with the Internet and lack of violence in other sports. They will also be cashing in with their next TV deal when the Fox deal expires in a few years. Main thing I think they'll do is better market fighters and expand to other countries like China for events outside the one a year. Also, they will have true business approach with people who have experience running multi billion orgs. So we won't be seeing spelling issues on reebok kits or the fighters being so public about that minuscule percent of revenue that get compared to other sports.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:25 PM
General Pimpin'

It's already shifting in that direction. Champs deciding who and when they fight. Iffy judging. The overhyped way ins. The **** talking. All of that is for show and rating. Some is bad blood but most is just for the money.

It'll just get worse.

But I'm not going to worry about it until then... but if it does shift in that direction I literally won't watch it anymore. The reason I watch it is because it's man on man. Legit. Everyone can win in the right circumstance. Take that **** away and who cares.

I'm already annoyed with what's happening. Look at Cruz. He's saying he's done with T.J. and on to bigger fish... guess what asshat. If T.J. beats the right dudes he should get the fight. I understand no one wants to see the champ fight the same few dudes over and over again but that's what it is. For years the UFC has basically gone like this... IF a champ can repeat 2 or 3 time they start protecting them because they're cash cows. The start having the top 2/3 dudes fight each other and the champ usually gets someone lower ranked "until the top 2 figure out which one's earned it". It's horse****.

Just like this bisping calling out Hendo. That's b.s. He should be fighting Chris. But I called this **** from the get go... which leads me to believe scripting is already happening.

Here's what I said was going to happen and here is why... Luke is a much much better fighter than Bisping. He didn't look like he wanted to be in the ring at all. He lost.

Bisping gets a shot at breaking the wins record in a championship fight against a guy he's already lost to. Worst of his career. Hendo is gonna retire after this fight either way.

So they have a story line... a big one. No story line for luke and chris yet. Not really.

So now they have the wins streak, redemption, etc. Great story for a fighter that was never gonna get a shot at the belt.

And on the otherside they have the old dog. The KO artist. The legend.

Great story.

Count wins you got the record.
Hendo wins you got the retire on top.

Either way... Luke and Chris fight. If Hendo wins and retires they fight for the belt. If the count wins they fight each other for less money and no belt. Good for the UFC. And the Count gets tossed in against Souza or managed to duck all 3 and cherry pick another buster... another "story" fight... aka Silva in a hey Bisping we scratched your back... scratch hours. Then you get the Silva fight for the belt... retire on top thing all over again.

Stories....
Old 07-25-2016, 10:43 PM
General Pimpin'

Oh man..... it's happening...

Dan Henderson Announces He'll Retire After Michael Bisping Fight at UFC 204 | Bleacher Report
Old 10-10-2016, 09:38 AM
General Pimpin'

Hendo won.

How does a dude get saved by the bell in the first round and loose that round 10-8... then the same in round two and loose that one 10-9 get a win? Even if he wins the next 3 rounds it's a draw.

That fight should have gone to hendo or been a draw. Period.

I'm getting to the point where I don't like seeing home town fights. The UFC already has questionable scoring results constantly, but especially in these situations.

Bisping is a joke. The dude talks like he beat the hell out of Hendo. All he did was get saved by the bell twice and then outlast a 40 year old dude in the championship rounds. Chris is going to beat his ***. Luke will work him the next time he fights.

They've got him listed at number 10 for pound for pound and that's an outright joke.

Chris is gonna beat is ***. Then Luke is gonna beat Souza and then beat Chris again. Souza will then beat Bispings ***. Or if timing is different and the count wants to fight sooner he'll get Mousasi who will beat his ***.

I think Bisping is gonna lose his next 3 fights... maybe 4 out of his next 5 and retire.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:27 PM
General Pimpin'

Who's watching the fights this weekend?

Feel bad for Cerrone. Dude has back to back fights jacked. Just trained for no reason and has to pay for it now. Gastelum should loose his ranking... or at least drop a few spots. Bunch of B.S.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:17 AM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
Cowboy and Kennedy were the 2 fights I wanted to see. Dana said Gastelum will never fight as a welterweight anymore, so he will go back to middleweight.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:41 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by bkblitzed
Cowboy and Kennedy were the 2 fights I wanted to see. Dana said Gastelum will never fight as a welterweight anymore, so he will go back to middleweight.
Yeah Cerrone was my main fight.

Only surprise on the card for me was Chris getting KO'd. He was winning that fight and got too agressive. But he's a predictable fighter. It's why I never bought him as a long term champ. I do think if he decides he wants it Luke can get back... but right now I don't think he's focused.

Not surprised Conor won by KO... I am surprised it happened as quickly as it did. To me this just goes to show how could Diaz can be when he's focused on the fight game. Now Conor needs to go defend his other bet.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:24 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Not surprised Conor won by KO... I am surprised it happened as quickly as it did. To me this just goes to show how could Diaz can be when he's focused on the fight game. Now Conor needs to go defend his other bet.
Nah. I think he is going to the boxing and/or Mayweather strategy. Win 2 or 3 more belts then force the organization to create a bunch of interim belts in their place while he jumps around divisions dodging or cherry picking his opponents while claiming to be the all around undisputed Champion.

Connor is a definitely a talented douche nozzle and simultaneously winning belts in 2 weight divisions is impressive...but how is that sustainable long term?

Will he seriously be simultaneously active 2 divisions, never mind 3 if he go through with his plans? Won's that mean that UFC will need to hold back worthy contenders waiting for the champ to become available? Won't that creates a compound effect of stringing those guys along increases chances of loosing their momentum one way or another? It will be awesome for Floyd "Money" Connor, but disastrous for UFC.

TL;DR Fighters should stick with one weight class. There is nothing wrong with moving classes, but they need to surrender their progress or titles to avoid stagnating the divisions.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:07 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Nah. I think he is going to the boxing and/or Mayweather strategy. Win 2 or 3 more belts then force the organization to create a bunch of interim belts in their place while he jumps around divisions dodging or cherry picking his opponents while claiming to be the all around undisputed Champion.

Connor is a definitely a talented douche nozzle and simultaneously winning belts in 2 weight divisions is impressive...but how is that sustainable long term?

Will he seriously be simultaneously active 2 divisions, never mind 3 if he go through with his plans? Won's that mean that UFC will need to hold back worthy contenders waiting for the champ to become available? Won't that creates a compound effect of stringing those guys along increases chances of loosing their momentum one way or another? It will be awesome for Floyd "Money" Connor, but disastrous for UFC.

TL;DR Fighters should stick with one weight class. There is nothing wrong with moving classes, but they need to surrender their progress or titles to avoid stagnating the divisions.
I think if he sticks with 145/155 then yeah he can fight well in both. Going up to 170 then down to 145 is crazy. If I was him I'd defend the 145 strap at least once then abandon the division all together. Run the 155 for a while and his body will tell him when to start testing 170. Right now is not a good time for him to jump up to 170. He'll get smoked by the top guys. Even Diaz who shouldn't be up there either was too much for him to handle.

155 is looking good right now... unlike welter and middle.

Dos
Diaz
Furg
Khabib
Cerrone if he comes back down
MJ

All good fighters.

Figure Ferg and Khabib both have valid claim to the next title shot. It should go to Furg since he's ranked higher. That means Khabib fights Diaz for got next.

That's a series of 3 really good fights...
Old 11-14-2016, 01:53 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
Fight of the night was definitely wonderboy and Woodley. Everyone who I was watching with started screaming when you saw wonderboys neck get a little movement. It was amazing
Old 11-14-2016, 02:45 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by bkblitzed
Fight of the night was definitely wonderboy and Woodley. Everyone who I was watching with started screaming when you saw wonderboys neck get a little movement. It was amazing
For me that fight actually made me respect Woodley a lot more. He was trying to dip that fight at first and it pissed me off. You can't really be hyped on someone after a super quick KO. It's like... anyone can get caught.

I wasn't high on Woodley. Now... dude get's his due. If he can defend again then he can cherry pick money fights. I'd be curious to see how Diaz does against someone like him. But if the UFC is smart they'll put Diaz against GSP. Both have **** loads of ring rust. No ranking. Nothing to loose and it would be a HUGE draw. McGregor type draw. But they're gonna have to pony up over $5m for GSP and at least 2 for Diaz.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
Man! That Romero knee to Weidman.
I immediately thought he took it to the face like Cyborg's ex did in his fight over the summer.

As for Connor, I still can't fully jump on his bandwagon. For his title shots and for nearly all those fights that led to them, he's gotten some really favorable matchups.

We really need him to fight Aldo again. While his flash KO to win Jose's belt was awesome, that 13 seconds didn't give us anything substantial in terms of how their skillsets match up with one another. But now that Conor has both straps, we may not see a unification rematch any time soon.

Dollah dollah billz, y'all.

And just like with Ray, I'm feeling Woodley's fight IQ a lot more now.

I was also super impressed by Karolina. Because she did not show much in her last fight w/ Rose, I thought that JJ was just gonna work KK over. Both actually showed some grit in their bout.

Speaking of girlfights, Rocky put together a solid 3 rounds. But then again, Meisha's striking is still so subpar. I can't quite pinpoint what it is, but it's "turrible" for a former champ/upper echelon fighter.

Khabib... you need to finish sooner, man. Sure, you've got an impressive record. By working quicker finishes and staying off injury reserve, then you might move the needle a bit more. Especially if you're gonna call Conor a "chicken" during your in-Octagon interview.

And finally.... Kelvin Gastelum, you absolutely suck....
... at making the 170-lb weight limit. I'm hoping Dana sticks to his guns this time and doesn't let him come back to WW after only one at MW like he did last time.

Only silver lining is we get a fun scrap btwn Cowboy and the Immortal Matt Brown in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: UFC Thread