Timing Belt install. Any help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
How about all of us change to chains instead

I was 1260 OTD with 105K tranny diff fluid and spark plugs.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 99 legacy gt
i might be willing to help i have done this once or twice on a subie and since im local it not like i have to drive far just depends on work and school
Old 10-08-2012, 04:46 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
crank seals?
Crank and cam seals are extra and are replaced if a leak is present upon inspection.

-- Ed
Old 10-08-2012, 04:50 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
I thought you didn't use or recommend using the Gates Idlers and tension-er just OEM due to those parts failing prematurely vs stock? Is the Gates Kit now ok to use? This isnt meant as a calling you out comment. I mention this because i recall a discussion on Gates kits vs OEM and you saying that you only use OEM as did other tuners.
I did in fact use only OEM idlers and tensioner until recently when I bought a couple of the Gates kits and cross-referenced the parts. The idlers and tensioner in the kits are from the same manufacturers as the OEM and look identical. I think the failed idlers I've seen were from autoparts stores like Napa and Kragen, but that was a few years ago as well.

-- Ed
Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 PM

Car Info: A Dirty Car
Right on guys, i appreciate all the help. It looks like one of our fellow member has pointed me in the direction of a mechanic that is willing to do this as a side job.

Hopefully it works out, if not, there will be an ice chest full of beer on my driveway this saturday and whoever wants to help, can, or if u wanna get drunk, theres that too!

Ryan
Old 10-08-2012, 07:32 PM

Car Info: EQ Tuned * Corn Juiced '05 WRX
I'm always down to "supervise" while getting drunk! I'm local too! HAHA!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 AM

Car Info: 2010 FXT - 2016 crosstek - 1996 impreza outback
not that hard/long of a job. you get the parts and i wouldnt mind helping out. ive done it atleast 5 times. drive through livermore everyday on my way home from work. if the side job shop doesnt work out, let me no! all i would need is the beer
Old 10-11-2012, 01:42 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX sedan
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
I did in fact use only OEM idlers and tensioner until recently when I bought a couple of the Gates kits and cross-referenced the parts. The idlers and tensioner in the kits are from the same manufacturers as the OEM and look identical. I think the failed idlers I've seen were from autoparts stores like Napa and Kragen, but that was a few years ago as well.

-- Ed
Have you seen any significant failure difference between the 1 bearing small idler the early 2.0Ls got and the 2 bearing small idler the later models got?

There's like 3 or 4 different Gates kits and I ended up with one that had the 1 bearing idler. Trying to figure out if it's worth buying a 2 bearing and a longer bolt.

For those unaware, these from the google image search show what I'm talking about:
1 bearing small idler:
Google Image Result for http://www.japanesemotorspares.co.uk/images/product/13073AA200_genuine_subaru_small_idler.jpg
2 bearing small idler:
Google Image Result for http://www.japanesemotorspares.co.uk/images/product/13073AA230_subaru_genuine_small_idler.jpg
Old 10-11-2012, 01:45 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Originally Posted by Concillian
Have you seen any significant failure difference between the 1 bearing small idler the early 2.0Ls got and the 2 bearing small idler the later models got?

There's like 3 or 4 different Gates kits and I ended up with one that had the 1 bearing idler. Trying to figure out if it's worth buying a 2 bearing and a longer bolt.

For those unaware, these from the google image search show what I'm talking about:
1 bearing small idler:
Google Image Result for http://www.japanesemotorspares.co.uk/images/product/13073AA200_genuine_subaru_small_idler.jpg
2 bearing small idler:
Google Image Result for http://www.japanesemotorspares.co.uk/images/product/13073AA230_subaru_genuine_small_idler.jpg
Your links are identical...
Old 10-11-2012, 01:51 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX sedan
Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
Your links are identical...
No, they most certainly are not.

Look at the difference in how far the bearing on the inside is from the outside edge of the idler. The 2nd one has two bearings stacked inside and the "lip" is much narrower as a result.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:51 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Concillian

1 bearing small idler:
2 bearing small idler:
We generally upgrade all cars to the 2 bearing small idler, but I don't think I've seen the 1 bearing fail.

-- Ed
Old 10-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by Brfatal
That's still dealership pricing, not independent shop. For example, off the memory, Andrewtech does it for just under $400 including the price of the belt and the pump. Anything else is additional parts costs.
If you don't do the idlers, you are asking for a disaster.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 PM

Car Info: Eq tuned Dom3 xtr 2T Ruckus 2012 Zx6r
Timing belt kit and water pumps takes 45mins-1 hour to do. In the hands of a Tech God.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 PM

Car Info: A Dirty Car
Originally Posted by WRXBOOST10
Timing belt kit and water pumps takes 45mins-1 hour to do. In the hands of a Tech God.
Not sure what you mean... Are you offering an hour of your time to do the job?

Anyways..

Didnt get a chance to order the kit this week, will most likely put it in to rally sport direct tomorrow and hope its here early next week. Still debating on if i want to try and tackle this myself as the whole thought of off timing = detonation thought keeps crossing my mind lol
Old 10-12-2012, 09:41 AM

Car Info: 05 PSM Wagon
Originally Posted by Volkey
Right on guys, i appreciate all the help. It looks like one of our fellow member has pointed me in the direction of a mechanic that is willing to do this as a side job.

Hopefully it works out, if not, there will be an ice chest full of beer on my driveway this saturday and whoever wants to help, can, or if u wanna get drunk, theres that too!

Ryan
We can talk someone into bringing a stock exhaust and then I can smog my **** too.