TI-83 vs. TI-89. NO! it's not the terminator.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 06:51 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Lockheed's hiring I think...alas...I dont' know any hiring personel....so if your resume went to me, it'd go into a black hole.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:58 PM

Car Info: 2004 San Remo Red WRX
Originally Posted by stevenkhau
Not all ME's are designers and simply look up specs in the MILHBK's. Many work on Computational Fluid Dynamics or Finite Element Analysis...so yes, lots of ME code in MATLAB and FORTRAN.

Relax, I was poking a little fun. I do lots of FEA and there is a little more to designing than specing parts from a handbook. Things like statics, dynamics, material properties, and manufacturing process need to be considered. I don't work for a defense contractor, I work for a medical device company. In school I did plenty of coding and MATLAB. It's not my thing, same with electrical stuff. I can do it but it's not my passion. I specialized in machine design and most of my masters classes are machine design oriented. The little CFD we do is contracted out and we have 200 software engineers so getting something coded is no problem. Leaves me able to concentrate on my job.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:15 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
sorry to sound like i was riled up or something...i wasn't. hard to show "tone" on forums
Old 08-12-2004, 08:41 PM

Car Info: 2004 San Remo Red WRX
Originally Posted by stevenkhau
sorry to sound like i was riled up or something...i wasn't. hard to show "tone" on forums
No problem, I like being an ME because of the broad range of things we do.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
the BEST part of the ti-89 is that you can put in random equations and make 3D graphs and stare at them for minutes!! and you can rotate them too! awesome!!
Old 08-12-2004, 11:11 PM

Car Info: white protege5
perhaps we could use these calculators to power our star cruisers. i believe the force is with us
Old 08-12-2004, 11:14 PM

warp speed scotty!!!!!!!!!!!! the klingons are coming!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 11:17 PM

i am the lord of the rings!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 11:48 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
If you ever decide to become an engineer, you'll end up using Matlab to do all your heavy high-level arithmetic work. For classes, I'd say most all instructors know that the TI-89 would give an unfair advantage over a scientific calculator so they'll work around it.

Last edited by verc; 08-12-2004 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:09 AM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
another viable option is to become a robot, jeff. Like me.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:00 AM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
Originally Posted by wrx ish
thats because you were a biology major. try getting though an engineering degree without a calculator. not gonna happen

It is called MatLab. This program or Mathematica will become your best friend in engineering. And I rarely used my TI-83 except for just doing really small numbers like femtos. I never needed to use a calculator once I hit Senior year because it was all theory.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:07 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by ImprezaRSDriver
It is called MatLab. This program or Mathematica will become your best friend in engineering. And I rarely used my TI-83 except for just doing really small numbers like femtos. I never needed to use a calculator once I hit Senior year because it was all theory.
yeah i guess it depends what school you go to. different schools focus on different things.

but the way i see it, matlab, mathcad, mathmatica, they are all calculators. just a much more powerful and not as portable.

my point was that you can't get through an engineering degree without the help of computers for solving equations. i know i would have never made it through heat transfer and fea without outside help. doing that stuff by hand would take forever.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:09 AM

Car Info: '08 GT3/'08 Cayenne Turbo/'02 WRX Sedan/'95 E36 M3
Originally Posted by wrx ish
yeah i guess it depends what school you go to. different schools focus on different things.

but the way i see it, matlab, mathcad, mathmatica, they are all calculators. just a much more powerful and not as portable.

my point was that you can't get through an engineering degree without the help of computers for solving equations. i know i would have never made it through heat transfer and fea without outside help. doing that stuff by hand would take forever.
but yeah, that was my point. why waste your money buying a calculator with all these "powerful" functions when you will end up using matlab or it's equavalent. and yes depending on the school, (stanford being more theory based), most of the time you will have to show derivations of other equations or what not rather than using a calculator on exams.

so while on some homeworks you can use calculators, why not get used to using higher powered programs?
Old 08-13-2004, 10:19 AM

Car Info: 2004 Black WRX wagon
Originally Posted by DarkSideWRX
Why are we talking about calculators on an Impreza forum??

This is technically not an Impreza based forum. It's the BAY AREA forum.

wow. everyone is in college. I feel like an infant around you guys. i'm taking single-var calc. hahah.

HEY ANYONE THINK THE NAME OF THIS POST IS FUNNY?!
Old 08-13-2004, 10:24 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by escaflowne
wow. everyone is in college.

actually everyone that is arguing about the same thing i believe are all out of college and just reminiscing about the good old days.

Quick Reply: TI-83 vs. TI-89. NO! it's not the terminator.