Third gauge recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:03 PM

Car Info: 06 GMC Diesel
I wouldn't ditch the oil pressure one, that should be your most Important one of all 3.
Oil galley plug Is easiest and cleanest one of adaptors, I've heard of the sandwich plates leaking alot. If you go to the oil galley plug make sure you pick your self up a set of Crows feet ( no don't go to a witch doctor / vodo store LOL ) from sears or just order them online, trust me your going to need them.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:16 PM

Car Info: WRX
Originally Posted by 07wrx4life
I wouldn't ditch the oil pressure one, that should be your most Important one of all 3.
Oil galley plug Is easiest and cleanest one of adaptors, I've heard of the sandwich plates leaking alot. If you go to the oil galley plug make sure you pick your self up a set of Crows feet ( no don't go to a witch doctor / vodo store LOL ) from sears or just order them online, trust me your going to need them.
The oil pressure is already plugged into the galley plug. I actually managed to do it without a crows foot. I used a really deep socket and it worked.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:28 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Originally Posted by finch1750
I personally do care about coolant temp. The idiot gauge doesn't tell you how hot the car is exactly, and I doubt a lot of people really stare at it a lot to notice when it goes up. I have had a number of leaks and over heating problems in the past two years and am always worried about warping a head when I see my gauge at above normal. So when it comes time for a 3 gauge pod I'm going EGT, Water temp, and oil temp. (already have boost on steering column), and they will have a warning function for sure.

Wouldn't it be better to spend the gauge money sealing up your leaks and solving the overheating problem?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by Lowend
I'll bite

You don't care what the coolant temp is... You care about the oil temp.
It's the oil that has to get to proper operating viscosity. If you have oil temp, you are gonna have a pretty damn good idea when the combustion chambers come up to temp.
True. but haha

On the track the oil temp is higher than the coolant. around town the coolant gets warmer.

but the car already has a coolant gauge so yeah oil > water.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:46 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by 07wrx4life
Please explain why it is the most important.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:33 AM

Well I don't track my car, or drive very hard. Mostly just daily driving. Maybe one day i'll hit the track now that I don't have a bike anymore.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:21 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Originally Posted by Lowend
Wouldn't it be better to spend the gauge money sealing up your leaks and solving the overheating problem?
I have. But I am constantly worried about when it'll happen again and it'll be too late. Just saying I have had that happen enough to where I find value in the gauge (new radiator, upper rad hose twice, lower rad hose, and small hose from upper reservoir). The gauge will let you see when the temp starts to increase, where the stock one will basically just tell you when it get really hot.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:42 PM

Car Info: Fast
Dont be cheap or lazy. If you are going to get a gauge, get the one that is the most functional...not the one that you can justify easiest just to fill a gap in your pod. You can reuse your gaskets. If you are afraid of leaking, just use some Permatex grey RTV around the head to manifold and manifold to uppipe gaskets. Works great. I know this a contradictory to what I just said about being cheap, but I have done it before with the OEM exhaust without any leaks...especially with fairly new gaskets.

The install is easy. If you consider that water temp will include cutting the upper radiator hose and bleeding the coolant system, it is just as difficult to install. You do not need to weld in a bung. Generally you just drill and tap the manifold, and then screw in a bung.

A wideband will require quite a bit more wiring, and the sensor can be very touchy. If, for example, you stall the car or have to turn it off and back on quickly, you may fry the sensor if you do not let the sensor cool down properly. AND you must buy the module (using LC1 as an example) AND the gauge. It will run you damn near twice what an EGT or water temp gauge will.

As for a gauge that will provide the most benefit for your current and future situation, EGT is the way to go. If you are not tracking the car then you will only use an oil temp when warming the car up, or trying to determine whether you are using the proper grade of oil. Oil temp is great, and I am planning on adding one to my EGT, oil pressure and wide band gauges. But that is because I have a 30r, built motor, and I need to know the effectiveness of my cooling system, type and grade of oil, etc.

You apready have oil pressure, but for the other folks, it is useful because unlike the idiot light you will be able to tell if there is a serious problem before you lose oil pressure completely. If you normally run 20-25 and you suddenly drop to 10-15 you will be able to save the motor as opposed to waiting for 0-5 psi for the idiot light to come on.

EGT will quickly let you know if there is an injector, tuning, or other issue. It will also be a good aid for your tuner. It will also be useful for future power mods.

Water temp is not even on my list, but then I use an AP which reads out in 1-2 degree increments. After comparing the AP vs the cluster for a couple years, including a week of overheating due to an improper thermostat install, I have found that the cluster is actually very accurate once you learn what temp corresponds to the needles location.

I am sure there is more but that is all I feel like typing for now. Definitely ask a tuner, or feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by aboothman; 01-11-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:53 PM

Alright, so it's between the oil temp or egt. I know this sounds wrong, but I really don't want to remove the exhaust again. It was a pain. I would like to do the oil temp then, but I already have my oil galley plug being used by the oil pressure plug. I also have my intake manifold off and my coolant drained so it's a good time to get in the engine bay.

aboothman- where would you suggest putting the oil temp sensor? oil galley plug is not an option. It would be nice to have the temp since I live in a cold climate.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:38 PM

I cannot help much with that as I have yet to face that question myself. There IS a second oil galley opening under the alternator. It is the location of the stock idiot light for oil pressure. Aside from a sandwich adapter plate that is your best bet. You MAY be able to T the line from the galley you are already using, but I am not sure if that would cause issues. I guess it depends whether you are using electronic sending units or mechanical gauges.

But again, EGT is the way to go. Taking off the exhaust manifold is nothing compared to the intake manifold You do know the trick for getting off the front AFR/O2 sensor, right? You can pull back the fender liner, or use a 7/8" end wrench (easier but you risk rounding.) Always use anti seize on the threads.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:42 PM

Ya, like I said, I just did the headers and uppipe a month ago.
A T definitely won't work just because there simply isn't enough room on the oil galley. Even one sensor is super tight in there.

I guess I gotta think about this one.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:42 PM

My oil galley setup is a remote setup...it lets me mount the sensor abour 12-18" away from the block. Pretty sweet...

My suggestion, other than an EGT gauge, is that you should get the best gauge or put it off for a while. Trust me: I have spend cubic **** tons of money on my car. While I do not regret it, I do wish I had saved quite a bit of it for other more kickass mods
Old 01-12-2011, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by aboothman
My oil galley setup is a remote setup...it lets me mount the sensor abour 12-18" away from the block. Pretty sweet...

My suggestion, other than an EGT gauge, is that you should get the best gauge or put it off for a while. Trust me: I have spend cubic **** tons of money on my car. While I do not regret it, I do wish I had saved quite a bit of it for other more kickass mods
I know a said this a few times already, but I can't plug it into the oil galley because my pressure sensor is already in the oil galley.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:22 AM

Did you read the part where I mentioned using the FRONT oil galley? It is under the alternator, and it is the location of the stock oil pressure sensor.