TD04 wastegate issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 04:51 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Yeah I wanted to have gst look at it cuz its parked at my brothers like 10minutes away but i keep gettin the run around and no call backs..

Don't want to pay $200 to tow it to sacto again for a small fix, not sure if I should drive the whole way either
Old 05-04-2012, 07:53 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
So are you sure you're running a Cobb OTS map? How does your boost look when the DAM is above 8? I recently got a call from someone experiencing similar issues with a custom tune from another shop. His car has major boost fluctuations and general over boosting which was causing audible pinging. Since you say it happens most in 5th gear, it may just be boosting too high.

-- Ed
Old 05-04-2012, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
So are you sure you're running a Cobb OTS map? How does your boost look when the DAM is above 8? I recently got a call from someone experiencing similar issues with a custom tune from another shop. His car has major boost fluctuations and general over boosting which was causing audible pinging. Since you say it happens most in 5th gear, it may just be boosting too high.

-- Ed
Yeah I loaded it myself...acn 91 stage1

When its above eight I don't make more than 10.7 psi I think it was

DAM only drops in 5th gear, it went back up in 4th gear
Old 05-04-2012, 08:26 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

How many miles on the car itself? Has the MAF ever been replaced? I can't tell you how many 100-150k mile cars I've seen come in with the original MAF. When MAF's get old and degrade, the voltage readings get lower and lower causing a very lean condition. If its the original MAF and you have a lot of miles on it, I'd recommend replacing it. Either way you should really check your A/F and get the tune checked out. 10.7psi is way low btw... That's even lower than stock boost levels.

-- Ed
Old 05-04-2012, 09:27 PM

153xxx...Afaik the maf is original

I want to know why 5th gear makes a difference haha
Old 05-04-2012, 09:47 PM

Car Info: wrx wagon/2.5rs
I'm thinking I got the same issue..been happening a bunch lately. Be in 5th gear try to accelerate and I just get a gutless response with about 6psi of boost, only antil I down shift will I get the response needed..I've noticed it really only happens going up hill, but will do it on normal/straight freeway as well at times. Haven't looked much into it cause I just drive my rs -__-..ahah. Thought it could have been my waste gate as well, but then knowing it really like to happen at various altitude change kinda leaves me to believe its not wastegate related

Stock tune
Tbe
Charge pipe and filter.

Get no, codes other then for my dp being catless...Maybe I shall look into
It at work. Maybe get an answer for both of us!! =]!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:50 PM

You have an aftermarket dp with no tune...probably boost creep I think the term is...I'm on stock dp, butif you figure somethin out lmk

Good luck with your situation
Old 05-04-2012, 10:07 PM

I would love to say it was that..but my problem came out of no where. I've had the dp on for at least 120k miles, it now has 126k on my odo. I've had bunch of buddies tell me it's that. Just can't see why it would all of a sudden start acting up, ya know??

Will def let you know what comes up, when I get to it. Few say it might possibly be my map sensor(since its happens usually going up hill), but again to lazy to figure it out =[ loll

Have you tried another waste gate by chance??
Old 05-04-2012, 10:12 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by slugrx
153xxx...Afaik the maf is original

I want to know why 5th gear makes a difference haha
Because 5th gear puts the most load on the engine. That combined with a lean a/f ratio will cause knock.

With 150k on your MAF you're probably running around 11.5-11.8:1 a/f on the Cobb map.

-- Ed
Old 05-04-2012, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by lzykid4life
I would love to say it was that..but my problem came out of no where. I've had the dp on for at least 120k miles, it now has 126k on my odo. I've had bunch of buddies tell me it's that. Just can't see why it would all of a sudden start acting up, ya know??

Will def let you know what comes up, when I get to it. Few say it might possibly be my map sensor(since its happens usually going up hill), but again to lazy to figure it out =[ loll

Have you tried another waste gate by chance??
Damn then maybe you have a similar situation like ed said...old maf maybe

Its not the wastegate that is the issue...AP shows that my motor is detecting knock so it kills my wastegate funtion
Old 05-04-2012, 11:07 PM

Yea..that was brought up as well, again just never had the time/will to mess with it. But I'll def swap the maf and possibly the map, out and see if either of the two take care of it.

I'll let you know as soon as I do!! Hopefully we get our issues taken care of!! =]