TD04 wastegate issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:53 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
TD04 wastegate issues

hey all sorry about the below posts they were typed quickly from my phone in another thread, but ive been having a problem with my 04 wrx

relevant mods are

sti uppipe
perrin ic hoses
catback
cobb ap stage 1
stock td04
forged pistons/acl bearings in otherwise stock 2.0 with 10k miles

Somethings wrong with my car...in any gear right around 3k when I'm supposed to hit boost the car feels like the clutch is slipping but its not that...I hear the turbo build up boost but nothing happens and then I hear the turbo spooling back up

My exhaust note sounds consistent through the rpms so i dont think its the motor but the turbo is stalling/hiccuping it seems and its boosting one second than gone the next

happened first on the freeway this morning in 5th gear, and happened in all other gears until i pulled over reset ecu with AP and it was gone the whole day, drove around sf with no problems til I just got back on the freeway where it happened again in 5th gear and then in the others back off the freeway

No cel either...only one I've gotten is 1312 for no egt sensor in catless sti uppipe but that hasn't popped up in a while
Logged boost with the ap...not more than 6psi at wot in 2 4 and 5...checked wastegate duty and it was 0% the whole time

Not smelling or burning oil...my turbo oil feed line leaks a little but thats it
Update..so I reflashed my ecu again, and drove from hmb-santa cruz with no problems...made up to 10.6psi which is still low but better since i wasnt WOT...no stalling/hiccup and wastgate duty functioning properly

Super weird but it happened on 280n this morning and 280s this afternoon between 101-19th ave

That stretch of road is very grooved and vibrates a lot but no idea what effect thatll have on my wastegate function, or why resetting my ecu fixes it

CLIFFS:

wastegate issue that starts in 5th gear on freeway (wastegate duty 0% and no more than 6psi boost), resetting ecu with AP fixes problem but comes back again

please feel free to ask any questions to clarify what i said above, sorry for the crappy typing haha

TIA

Last edited by slugrx; 04-26-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:44 PM

Anyone?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:46 PM

Car Info: 2006 CGM Impreza WRX/ 1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
Have you tried readjusting the wastegate?
Old 04-27-2012, 08:42 AM

Haven't touched anything...drove this morning from santa cruz-hmb over 92 with not one issue, as soon as I get onto 280n it starts happening again wtf is this...280 stops my wastegate from functioning!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:04 AM

update again

advanced dynamic multiplier log starts at 12, and after a 2-3 pull onto the freeway its at 8 and after a few 70-80-70-80 5th gear accelerations the number is down to 1

paul (fw) thinks my ecu is detecting knock and killing my boost
Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by slugrx
update again

advanced dynamic multiplier log starts at 12, and after a 2-3 pull onto the freeway its at 8 and after a few 70-80-70-80 5th gear accelerations the number is down to 1

paul (fw) thinks my ecu is detecting knock and killing my boost
hmmmm.... no bueno... do as I say.

Stop by mike's today until you can get out to see paul. Knock is not what you want on that motor man. You've been through too much crap with it already.

dibs on your tranny.... to soon?

good luck man. I know this car has put you through the ringer. Seems some of them are just cursed man. Reminds me of Jeff's devil wagon.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
hmmmm.... no bueno... do as I say.

Stop by mike's today until you can get out to see paul. Knock is not what you want on that motor man. You've been through too much crap with it already.

dibs on your tranny.... to soon?

good luck man. I know this car has put you through the ringer. Seems some of them are just cursed man. Reminds me of Jeff's devil wagon.
haha i want to but i have to pick someone up at OAK in an hour and drive them into SF and then come back out to the east bay to finish some home repairs at my brothers

guess im lucky he just upgraded his old legacy for a 2012 legacy 3.6r fully loaded haha i dont mind driving that for a while
Old 04-27-2012, 10:11 AM

oh and my 4th gear synchro is starting to crunch and ive got baad clutch chatter when its cold out and my car hasnt warmed up yet

its funny cuz i had no problems with the car 60-100k until my radiator popped and then its been all downhill it seems
Old 04-27-2012, 10:38 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
If your IAM is dropping that much, have you seen what your feedback knock looks like?

Mine was doing something similar when I had air leaks in the stock inlet although my boost wasnt affected. My IAM would go to 16 after resetting ECU and then slowly come back down to 8 or lower. Sometimes without even registering any feedback knock.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
If your IAM is dropping that much, have you seen what your feedback knock looks like?

Mine was doing something similar when I had air leaks in the stock inlet although my boost wasnt affected. My IAM would go to 16 after resetting ECU and then slowly come back down to 8 or lower. Sometimes without even registering any feedback knock.
i couldnt find an entry related to knock sensor or anything...paul thought that was weird too but i havent updated my AP in a while
Old 04-27-2012, 11:03 AM

i couldnt find an entry related to knock sensor or anything...paul thought that was weird too but i havent updated my AP in a while
No Feedback Knock/FBKC/FKC/Knock Correction? Thats really weird.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
No Feedback Knock/FBKC/FKC/Knock Correction? Thats really weird.
didnt see one in the live data, maybe data logging has it?
Old 04-27-2012, 11:23 AM

didnt see one in the live data, maybe data logging has it?
Data logging should have it.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:19 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Your ecu is indeed picking up a lot of knock. Could be a bad tank of gas or a mechanical issue. Is the car tuned?

-- Ed
Old 04-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Your ecu is indeed picking up a lot of knock. Could be a bad tank of gas or a mechanical issue. Is the car tuned?

-- Ed
from the OP

cobb ap stage 1

Quick Reply: TD04 wastegate issues