td04 issues

Old 02-23-2014, 05:14 PM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT and 06 WRX TR
td04 issues

So i was driving home from san Ramon on Friday and noticed smoke coming out of the turbo. further inspection shows coolant leaking from the upper coolant line (not from the hose, from the metal lines the hose hooks up to, looks like perhaps from the banjo). i also noticed the coolant line was clogged up, as the hose expanded and made the leak worse. are these symptoms of turbo failure? i cleaned up the turbo area and the coolant is seeping from either the banjo fitting or from this metal strap that straps the turbine housing to the unit that bolts to the downpipe. excuse my lack of knowledge as I am unsure what to call it. i do have a vf34 laying around but was more interested in selling it, now perhaps is the time for the swap? if anyone can help me, i am willing to pay for labor, but do realize i do not want to drive far as the hose looks like its ready to explode.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:20 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Originally Posted by 04FXTURBO
So i was driving home from san Ramon on Friday and noticed smoke coming out of the turbo. further inspection shows coolant leaking from the upper coolant line (not from the hose, from the metal lines the hose hooks up to, looks like perhaps from the banjo). i also noticed the coolant line was clogged up, as the hose expanded and made the leak worse. are these symptoms of turbo failure? i cleaned up the turbo area and the coolant is seeping from either the banjo fitting or from this metal strap that straps the turbine housing to the unit that bolts to the downpipe. excuse my lack of knowledge as I am unsure what to call it. i do have a vf34 laying around but was more interested in selling it, now perhaps is the time for the swap? if anyone can help me, i am willing to pay for labor, but do realize i do not want to drive far as the hose looks like its ready to explode.
R u talking about coolant or oil? Because oil lines run to the turbo.....
Coolant lines leaking would indicate a radiator problem. Correct me if im wrong I may just be confused what you are getting at.
You could be just having blow by if its the air hoses leaking oil by the turbo and it could be turbulant enough or have enough spray to hit your turbo or heatshield and cause some smoking. .. Clean it up with some brake clean and throw in a different oil. Oem oil does that to my wrx.

Do u notice any loss of power? Oil lines going to the turbo clogged? Remove basket and clean. Either remove or replace....,
Old 02-24-2014, 03:25 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Replace hose?

Remove turbo and shoot air through to ensure coolant passages in turbo arent clogged?

Squirt some CLR in there?

I dunno but it doesnt sound like the turbo is toasted to me.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:54 PM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Originally Posted by Scoobywax
R u talking about coolant or oil? Because oil lines run to the turbo.....
Coolant lines leaking would indicate a radiator problem. Correct me if im wrong I may just be confused what you are getting at.
You could be just having blow by if its the air hoses leaking oil by the turbo and it could be turbulant enough or have enough spray to hit your turbo or heatshield and cause some smoking. .. Clean it up with some brake clean and throw in a different oil. Oem oil does that to my wrx.

Do u notice any loss of power? Oil lines going to the turbo clogged? Remove basket and clean. Either remove or replace....,
There are also 2 coolant lines running to the turbo. 1 from the expansion chamber that sits next to the intake manifold (The little box with the radiator cap on it) and one to the backside of the block.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by apetron
There are also 2 coolant lines running to the turbo. 1 from the expansion chamber that sits next to the intake manifold (The little box with the radiator cap on it) and one to the backside of the block.
Yep that's right. Also, coolant is funny stuff and if it splashed on the banjo from somewhere else, it could look like the banjo is leaking. Sounds like you cleaned it up and verified all that though. Might be worth a shot to let it warm up from cold and watch it as it warms to see exactly where the coolant is coming out.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Yep that's right. Also, coolant is funny stuff and if it splashed on the banjo from somewhere else, it could look like the banjo is leaking. Sounds like you cleaned it up and verified all that though. Might be worth a shot to let it warm up from cold and watch it as it warms to see exactly where the coolant is coming out.
I cleaned up the turbo area yesterday and verified that it is coming from the banjo. The hoses arent ripped or leaking, the leaking is coming from the banjo and causing the upper coolant hose to expand rapidly. Looks like its about to explode. Someone told me it may be a clogged BANJO. No way telling as I am pressed for time due to work.. Right now the WRX is sitting lonely on my drive way and my garage is being used as of right now. I am rebuilding my motorcycle, because too much wheelie
Old 02-24-2014, 06:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
its' really easy to pull the banjo and pipe off and replace bolt + hose

Last edited by Rescuer; 02-24-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rescuer
its' really easy to pull the banjo and pipe off and replace bolt + hose
I will definitely give it a whirl. I think the only issue I have, is the fact that I lack the courage to actually do it. Right now I am just trying to get my motorcycle back together. I dont know why, but I am so scared to tinker with this car...... it seems so intimidating. I read a few threads on other forums and it seems as though this is a common area for coolant leaks. It was also stated to look for a possible screen that might be clogged as well. I will try and get the banjo out and replace it asap. Thank god I have a company car and my wifes FXT...... btw if any of you is willing to help me out.... I got beer.... smokable beer.... food.... and cash.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:14 PM
VIP Member

i can help you

two months ago i was scared to upgrade my car... all on my own! pulled the TD04 out, put in a td05 18G, injectors, fuel pump, inlet, tmic, intake, etc.

it was VERY intimidating, but became quite simple as i did it and learned!

td04 on the left. those are the radiator banjo bolts you see in the middle of the pic
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/10...0/607/bgmt.jpg

you should be able to access it on the driver side of the turbo.

and if the hose above needs replacing, i bought some hose from the auto store. you can also buy it by the foot at orchard supply for like a buck
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/10...0/853/a5dl.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/10...90/21/8bvs.jpg

Last edited by Rescuer; 02-24-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rescuer
i can help you

two months ago i was scared to upgrade my car... all on my own! pulled the TD04 out, put in a td05 18G, injectors, fuel pump, inlet, tmic, intake, etc.

it was VERY intimidating, but became quite simple as i did it and learned!

td04 on the left. those are the radiator banjo bolts you see in the middle of the pic
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/10...0/607/bgmt.jpg

you should be able to access it on the driver side of the turbo.

and if the hose above needs replacing, i bought some hose from the auto store. you can also buy it by the foot at orchard supply for like a buck
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/10...0/853/a5dl.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/10...90/21/8bvs.jpg

Appreciate the help. Im so glad this community is so helpful. The other day, since I broke my rear sway bar mounts..... a member donated his old ones so I can stop hearing this ghostly drummer boy in my back seat. Also, this TD04 is also a replacement. Now I am considering, installing my VF34, that I have been staring at in my living room, debating on selling or installing. This kinda gives me a reason to actually do the swap.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:27 PM
VIP Member

install