The Sweet and Dandy Motor Swaps of all sorts Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:15 PM

Car Info: 2000 Tacoma Pre-Runner 4 Cyl.
Originally Posted by bwaynep
And one of my favorite Honda swaps out there...

Imagine this one rolling in the Carpool Lane Rocking the Carpool Sticker

-Gio
Old 05-06-2010, 09:41 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
he's also got a few other goodies. I just checked the site...

ford festiva with a turbo mazda 1.6 from the 323 gt/gtx

http://www.cwstuning.com/
sick!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:08 AM

Car Info: 1975 Ford Pinto
i like this one

89 dodge/mitsubishi colt

but oh whats that under there..

4g63turbo a few mods and well we know how easy those suckas make power

Old 05-07-2010, 11:14 AM

Car Info: 1975 Ford Pinto
4g63 in FD rx7

Old 05-07-2010, 03:30 PM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
I remember that issue of SCC that featured that CWS GTi very well. If I recall correctly, the CWS was a crossflow motor? with the exhaust side really spacious. I think CWS was in the stage of putting a turbo on that thing. Mein Gott.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:14 PM

VG30DETT powered MPV

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/460805
Old 05-08-2010, 12:19 PM

Miata with a TT Lexus V8. It's kinda crappy but sounds nice.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:37 PM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
http://www.modified.com/features/030...510/index.html

datsun 510 with a 13b conversion

josh
Old 05-08-2010, 08:36 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
I've seen a number of big motors put into smaller cars...usually there are huge issues with weight, handling and suspension to be ironed out that the builders didn't put enough thought into...I have an engineering friend that put the 1999 Ford Mustang SC engine into his Focus...he got the suspension and motor mounts etc. all massively beefed up....but the car handled like garbage, just too much weight.

Monster Miata's, I wanted to buy one, but every one that I drove, drove badly...really badly....the best I drove actually had a 3 liter V6 Mazda engine into a Miata with coil overs and it drove exceptionally well...but not as awesome in power as an LS1, but better than a new Miata.

I even saw a couple of LS1's into 914's...very nicely done, but suspension was messed...

The other huge issue many of these swaps have are that the radiator doesn't get enough air to keep these large engines cool...I can think of 3 or 4 that were drivable (got the suspension/steering worked out) but would overheat constantly...one truck swap that I thought had everything figured out until he and I took a trip to Mt. Lassen...Another that I wanted to buy was a 300Z with an LS1...Freaking beautiful, great handling, sooth as silk on the freeway, wonderful paint - all beautiful....and overheats in less than an hour.

And the oddest, a Hyundai with two 4 cylinder Toyota Celica engines and each motor (one rear in front) had it's own transmission - he told me on the freeway he can get 9 miles to the gallon....This car also handles badly, but it's fast, he claimed to me a 9 second 1320...he had steering wheel locks so he couldn't turn while doing the 1/4, haha.

Last edited by AntiochCali; 05-08-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by AntiochCali
I've seen a number of big motors put into smaller cars...usually there are huge issues with weight, handling and suspension to be ironed out that the builders didn't put enough thought into...I have an engineering friend that put the 1999 Ford Mustang SC engine into his Focus...he got the suspension and motor mounts etc. all massively beefed up....but the car handled like garbage, just too much weight.

Monster Miata's, I wanted to buy one, but every one that I drove, drove badly...really badly....the best I drove actually had a 3 liter V6 Mazda engine into a Miata with coil overs and it drove exceptionally well...but not as awesome in power as an LS1, but better than a new Miata.

I even saw a couple of LS1's into 914's...very nicely done, but suspension was messed...

The other huge issue many of these swaps have are that the radiator doesn't get enough air to keep these large engines cool...I can think of 3 or 4 that were drivable (got the suspension/steering worked out) but would overheat constantly...one truck swap that I thought had everything figured out until he and I took a trip to Mt. Lassen...Another that I wanted to buy was a 300Z with an LS1...Freaking beautiful, great handling, sooth as silk on the freeway, wonderful paint - all beautiful....and overheats in less than an hour.

And the oddest, a Hyundai with two 4 cylinder Toyota Celica engines and each motor (one rear in front) had it's own transmission - he told me on the freeway he can get 9 miles to the gallon....This car also handles badly, but it's fast, he claimed to me a 9 second 1320...he had steering wheel locks so he couldn't turn while doing the 1/4, haha.

I can agree with this. Though all it really comes down to is time and money; if you have enough of either (usually both),that swap can be nice. Of course there are exceptions to the rule. I think also age has a lot to do with what a person seeks in a car. I bought a WRX wagon and love it, but some days it just seems to jack-of-all-trades, and not focused enough. I'm still young and want that *****-out, stripped interior swap done on the cheap all my friends seem to have. On the flip side though, Delrin everywhere and feeling the fillings knock out of your teeth at idle isn't appealing as you get older.

Antioch, have you been in either an LS1 swapped FC or FD? I guarantee you'll change your mind about the lack of refinement. They have swap kits now that keep the stock steering.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:54 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX Sedan
bump...

WRX Swapped Justy
Old 05-22-2010, 12:39 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX Sedan
V8 Volvo 960 Via Jalopnik

Old 05-24-2010, 04:29 PM

Car Info: MY03 WRX (SOLD)/1997 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 w/4.5" lift
So.Much.Win! LOL

-G
Old 05-24-2010, 04:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
There was a guy in Colorado that rallyX'd a Legacy Turbo (2.2T) swapped Justy. Pretty badass. Why does the one linked here look so damn tall?

-Brian
Old 05-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
awesome justy swap

Would LOVE to see someone do a STI swap into one of these

Quick Reply: The Sweet and Dandy Motor Swaps of all sorts Appreciation Thread