sound deadener

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Originally Posted by glider
Yep. It's not a Lexus or anything, but it made a good difference.

I did all the doors, outside and inside panels, floor pan, under the rear seats, roofliner. Pieces and layers of Raamat with Ensolite on top. I'd previously done Dynamat/Dynapad in the trunk space. It's straightforward but a fair amount of work to strip out the interior.
I'd love to do this but I don't think I'd do it correctly. Would you help me for a fee?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:33 AM

Car Info: 06 STI
Originally Posted by STiWRX06
Man all this stupid sound deadening crap is making my ears hurt-like wtf really! Y'all bought the wrong car for sure cuz Subaru purposely made it with the least amount of factory sound deadening for total weight reduction-it's a freaking road rally replica for god's sake, enough already! If y'all wanted quiet luxury cruisers then you should've done your homework & looked elsewhere, period. STi's are suppose to be hella loud, inside & out. I could never try to quiet my beast down, no ****ing way, it don't bother me none, you eventually get used to it. I ain't ever adding any unnecessary additional weight that hurts performance in the slightest, in fact i'm always trying to find dumb factory **** to remove!
I drive about 30k miles a year. My 06 STI has >90k on it already and I really started to appreciate the little things that make a car practical. I love the look of slammed cars and the boxer rumble. But hearing that all day long would get to you.
P.S. I hate to break it to you but Subaru skimps on the sound deadening not for weight savings, but for costs. An NA Imprea is hardly a road rally replica.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:51 AM

Car Info: "Shadow"
Originally Posted by antonch
I drive about 30k miles a year. My 06 STI has >90k on it already and I really started to appreciate the little things that make a car practical. I love the look of slammed cars and the boxer rumble. But hearing that all day long would get to you.
P.S. I hate to break it to you but Subaru skimps on the sound deadening not for weight savings, but for costs. An NA Imprea is hardly a road rally replica.
I've got a lil over 80k myself & have enjoyed every loudass mile, no sound complaints here. It's a proven fact that weight always hinders performance, no matter what car, that's why every race car on the planet is usually fully gutted. More power+less weight=faster. The STi is Subaru's highest model, why would they skimp out on something they obviously need knowing how loud the car is? They purposely didn't cuz it's suppose to be as close to their rally car as possible (hence rally road replica dude, i ain't talking about a lowly na Impreza either). The STi was made for homologation street purposes, so it's as raw as you'll ever get. It don't pretend to be a quiet luxury cruiser, only a pure sports sedan ready to race right outa the box. So imho more sound deadening in a STi is an oxymoron, you're trying too hard to change it's intended nature, that's why it ain't for everyone, just the hardcore who can handle it. The **** ain't stupid, that's why the STi is pure brilliance. It may be the last of it's kind the way the automotive world is going, just look at the Evo. I hope not, for enthusiast's sake.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:58 AM

Car Info: Teh Subie
For automakers it comes down to cost. they spot treat the sound and tune accordingly. save $50/car x a few million vehicles = profit

Chatted with a few acoustical engineers @ SEMA, its interesting stuff.

But there isn't a lot of sound dampening on these chassis. remove the interior once and you'll see.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:05 PM

Car Info: 2.5 white
Originally Posted by johndabrit
I'd love to do this but I don't think I'd do it correctly. Would you help me for a fee?
If you take your time ripping out your interior( be nice to your TREES)
. Try bagging and tagging your headaches will be gone.. and no leftover parts lol. But I'm a beggining do-it-yourselfer. If you got a couple extra hundos spend how you will
Old 03-06-2011, 12:32 PM

Car Info: Fast
I've got a lil over 80k myself & have enjoyed every loudass mile, no sound complaints here. It's a proven fact that weight always hinders performance, no matter what car, that's why every race car on the planet is usually fully gutted. More power+less weight=faster. The STi is Subaru's highest model, why would they skimp out on something they obviously need knowing how loud the car is? They purposely didn't cuz it's suppose to be as close to their rally car as possible (hence rally road replica dude, i ain't talking about a lowly na Impreza either). The STi was made for homologation street purposes, so it's as raw as you'll ever get. It don't pretend to be a quiet luxury cruiser, only a pure sports sedan ready to race right outa the box. So imho more sound deadening in a STi is an oxymoron, you're trying too hard to change it's intended nature, that's why it ain't for everyone, just the hardcore who can handle it. The **** ain't stupid, that's why the STi is pure brilliance. It may be the last of it's kind the way the automotive world is going, just look at the Evo. I hope not, for enthusiast's sake.
We are not talking about race cars, we are talking about daily driven cars. If you want to drive a "race car" on the street, then go for it. Some of us are not 16 years old anymore, and we value the ability to hear our music or our passengers.

I am sure your friends and girlfriends/boyfriends just love riding in your "race car"
Old 03-06-2011, 12:44 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Unless you're double layer dynamatting every square inch, weight is a moot point. I mean it takes roughly 100lbs weight reduction to reduce 1/4 mile speed a tenth of a second, so unless you're competing I wouldn't lose any sleep over some sound absorbing foam to make the commute nicer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you on the performance aspect but the small weight increase is a bit like splitting hairs.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:00 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
Bro, if you are so hardcore remove the backseat, A/C, radio, spare, carpeting, power windows, and everything else that is not pure
I thought slammed cars, loud exhausts, stretched tires, and bouncy ride was cool at one point. That was back in college. Now that I am working and have a long commute, it looks ridiculous to me. You can't daily drive a car like that. It's not practical. Well unless your commute consists of driving to the local Starbucks a mile away and your driveway is the biggest obstacle.
HWY101 is full of potholes and when you put on 30k miles a year certain things suddenly become uncool. You would not believe how much garbage I've seen scatter on the freeway. If I was slammed, it would have taken bumper out for sure. I still love to look at slammed cars, but I will never own one as a DD.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:02 PM

Car Info: 2011 STI Sedan
Originally Posted by johndabrit
Well I wrote up the trunk bit over on Scoobymods, though that'd vary a bit for a sedan. For the rest I wouldn't feel comfortable taking any money off you because it was a couple of years back and I don't have any special knowledge. The most useful advice I could offer is:
  • Don't start with the driver's door; my fourth door was a much nicer job than my first.
  • Try to do it somewhere you have a nice flat space right next to the car -- like a double driveway, or nice dry lawn -- so you can the interior parts out in a way that'll remind you how it goes back together.
  • Go slow; don't force the fasteners.
  • Use an interior panel popping kit, not a screwdriver.

And you're welcome to borrow my panel popping kit if you decide to do it. Though my last piece of advice would be wait for some nice weather

Last edited by glider; 03-06-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:27 PM

Car Info: "Shadow"
Originally Posted by aboothman
We are not talking about race cars, we are talking about daily driven cars. If you want to drive a "race car" on the street, then go for it. Some of us are not 16 years old anymore, and we value the ability to hear our music or our passengers.

I am sure your friends and girlfriends/boyfriends just love riding in your "race car"
Y'all don't fully read my posts or what cuz i ain't talking about a pure race car, just that the STi is truly built like one as much as street possible. If you bought it for long dd trips then i feel for you cuz it ain't for that at all. It's made to look & drive racy, how else would you explain all that beefy equipment on it. So yes, it's a legal rally type car for the street, not a full WRC rally beast. And why do you always have to be young if you like your car loud or raw or racy, sorry but i'm far from 16 & love all that **** man, any true enthusiast always will. Oh everyone who rides in my car don't ever mind, in fact many love it cuz it's so different & unique from all those basic boring cars they're used to (not many have STis you know). Well if y'all want more sound deadening on your cars, more power to you, but any extra weight ain't ever going on my ride, period. I don't drastically change ****, just go with the flow. I've always wanted a STi, love it just the way they are, sounds & all.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:36 PM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Thanks for the unnecessary and lengthy soapboxing.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:32 AM

Car Info: Fast
As I drove my car today I marveled at how quiet it was. Then I mashed it. As I was hitting 22 psi with the EWG SCREAMING, I realized that I really had it right. A car that has every bushing known to man, stiffer struts and springs, 160 treadwear tires, damn near solid mounts, and as little road noise as can be expected. Then the wastegate opens up and you cannot hear ****

Once I get off the throttle it is smooth sailing again Sound deadening highly recommend for anyone who cares about these things. If you don't then why are you in this thread in the first place?