sound deadener

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 03:48 PM

Car Info: 2.5 white
sound deadener

Anyone have any luck with any other products besides dynamat? I've heard of fatmat and B-quiet, they're the supposed affordable solutions to controlling rattles and vibratons.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:53 PM

Car Info: 2011 STI Sedan
Originally Posted by 2.5aru
Anyone have any luck with any other products besides dynamat? I've heard of fatmat and B-quiet, they're the supposed affordable solutions to controlling rattles and vibratons.
Raamat and Ensolite are all over the insides of my wagon. Work pretty well. Second Skin gets very good reviews, and has a few different versions going a bit further up the price range. I found both vendors very helpful before I bought.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:58 PM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
Originally Posted by glider
Raamat and Ensolite are all over the insides of my wagon. Work pretty well. Second Skin gets very good reviews, and has a few different versions going a bit further up the price range. I found both vendors very helpful before I bought.
Was there a significant difference in sound since putting that stuff in? Are they also on the insides of all 4 doors?
Old 03-04-2011, 04:02 PM
cal

Car Info: 03
I have raamat in my doors. It's a little quieter but not by a whole lot. I should have done the floor around the front wheel wells too.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:26 PM

Car Info: Fast
here is my comment about Raammat from another thread:

Try this place out: RAAM Audio

They have great package deals for a complete DIY kit, and it is FAR cheaper than dynamat.

I paid under $250 (in 2007) for 1.5 rolls of the BXT, 5 yards of ensolite foam, and the adhesive shipped. It looks like the foam went up a little, but the BXT really has not. There is even foam that is already adhesive backed now. It was enough to do the entire floor, all 4 doors (inner AND outer door, outer door double layered behind front speakers), under the rear seat, the rear strut towers, the package tray, half of the trunk, and the separation between the rear seat and trunk. A little more and I could have done the entire trunk. The car is so much quieter now it is incredible, and the stereo sound is better too

Rick, the owner of RAAM Audio, will work with you to create a package that fits your needs. Mine was aimed at a trunk mount sub and reducing noise, so you could probably get away with a single layer on the doors, and maybe less elsewhere.

A quiet exhaust really helps too, but the sound deadening material is great for reducing road noise. Especially if you have coilovers, stiffer top hats, bushings, or anything that increased road noise. I have every Group-N and TIC bushing known to man, Group-N tophats, and some stiff *** summer tires and the car is still fairly quiet. Quiet until the EWG opens up!!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by adizon
Was there a significant difference in sound since putting that stuff in? Are they also on the insides of all 4 doors?
Yep. It's not a Lexus or anything, but it made a good difference.

I did all the doors, outside and inside panels, floor pan, under the rear seats, roofliner. Pieces and layers of Raamat with Ensolite on top. I'd previously done Dynamat/Dynapad in the trunk space. It's straightforward but a fair amount of work to strip out the interior.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:49 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
Driving my car feels like inside a tin can. The roof resonates all uneven roads. It sucks and I can feel your pain. But why do this? It will never be as quiet as a Lexus is. Car companies spend lots of money on acoustics. They develop spray-on coatings to reduce sound transmission, something that you can't do. Adding rugs of sound deadening material is like a bandaid. It will help deaden some sound, but for the weight you are adding it won't do much.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:47 PM

You have a point it will never be a supercar..I'm thinking just my trunk cause I have a couple types x's slappin back there
I like the boxer rumble to much to cancel it out
Old 03-05-2011, 10:37 AM

You certainly don't lose the boxer rumble. And the weight isn't that much. Certainly a lot less than a passenger to do the whole car. The improvement was worth it in my opinion, but YMMV.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:18 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
PM me, I know a local company that makes a visco-elastic, liquid based sound dampener.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:57 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Roofing material...
Old 03-05-2011, 04:13 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
The key for sound deadening is knowing the right places to put it in.
The GD series has plenty of sound deadening material on the firewall. Close to none on the chassis.
I would start by attacking the wheel wells and the roof area first. That should help quieten the tires and keep the car from resonating on uneven surfaces. Driving up to tahoe seriously makes my ears hurt. I feel as though I am driving inside a drum. Highway 80 really makes the roof resonate at low frequencies.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:37 PM

Haha bituthene works well but Its thin my buddy used it on his 97. He needed three layers minimum. The liquid stuff sounds cool how $$$? Deffinatly going to do floors and roof because I don't have exhaust and its loader then $***. Anyone's thoughts on the sq feet ill be needing?
Old 03-06-2011, 12:59 AM

Car Info: "Shadow"
Originally Posted by antonch
Driving my car feels like inside a tin can. The roof resonates all uneven roads. It sucks and I can feel your pain. But why do this? It will never be as quiet as a Lexus is. Car companies spend lots of money on acoustics. They develop spray-on coatings to reduce sound transmission, something that you can't do. Adding rugs of sound deadening material is like a bandaid. It will help deaden some sound, but for the weight you are adding it won't do much.
Man all this stupid sound deadening crap is making my ears hurt-like wtf really! Y'all bought the wrong car for sure cuz Subaru purposely made it with the least amount of factory sound deadening for total weight reduction-it's a freaking road rally replica for god's sake, enough already! If y'all wanted quiet luxury cruisers then you should've done your homework & looked elsewhere, period. STi's are suppose to be hella loud, inside & out. I could never try to quiet my beast down, no ****ing way, it don't bother me none, you eventually get used to it. I ain't ever adding any unnecessary additional weight that hurts performance in the slightest, in fact i'm always trying to find dumb factory **** to remove!
Old 03-06-2011, 01:40 AM

Car Info: Fast
Originally Posted by STiWRX06
Man all this stupid sound deadening crap is making my ears hurt-like wtf really! Y'all bought the wrong car for sure cuz Subaru purposely made it with the least amount of factory sound deadening for total weight reduction-it's a freaking road rally replica for god's sake, enough already! If y'all wanted quiet luxury cruisers then you should've done your homework & looked elsewhere, period. STi's are suppose to be hella loud, inside & out. I could never try to quiet my beast down, no ****ing way, it don't bother me none, you eventually get used to it. I ain't ever adding any unnecessary additional weight that hurts performance in the slightest, in fact i'm always trying to find dumb factory **** to remove!
Thanks for providing us with a great example of stupid. Nobody asked for your dumb ****ing opinion regarding OUR CARS. BTW, how does reading make your ears hurt? Oh well, It "don't bother me none"

The STI is NOT a "road rally replica" it is a turbo charged compact sedan. I hate to break it to you, but you are not driving a rally car around. If you want to drive a rally car around, then you bought the wrong damn car. You should have done your homework.

If you want to remove unnecessary weight from your car, then kill yourself. Then there will be less bozos "rallying" around getting the rest of us tickets..

BTW my heavy, quiet, and comfortable STI will ****ing destroy your "rally car" on or off the street.

Last edited by aboothman; 03-06-2011 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: sound deadener