Someone help me save this old school RX-2!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 10:06 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Originally Posted by norcalbmxer4u
Yup. This rx2 hasn't been registered for 5 years so once krinkov picks it up, he can register it under his name. Then he just has to take it to DMV for inspection and he's good to go.
NO!!!!

He must get the vin go to DMV file for a lost pink it is a one visit process....Once he has the title in hand he is free to do with it what he wants I.E. pick it up.

If he just picks it up and the prev owner is able to show the pink he can report it stolen.

I highly recommend he does this before it gets towed or the tow yard will be able to auction it after 30 days and usually the cheapest any car goes is at least $450
Old 09-30-2011, 11:54 AM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
It sounds like if you want it you can still get it. So go do your thing and get that car Krinkles. Good Luck Man!
Old 09-30-2011, 11:56 AM

Car Info: Hybrid
Keep in mind you will pay a fortune in back registration fee's.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:57 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
U guys are nuts. I can park my subaru for longer then 5 years. Still means at year 6 its still mine. Unless its neen leined. You need the owner to sign the title. Otherwise its stolen.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by old.guy
U guys are nuts. I can park my subaru for longer then 5 years. Still means at year 6 its still mine. Unless its neen leined. You need the owner to sign the title. Otherwise its stolen.
You sir are incorrect. Possession being 9/10ths of the law.

If you let it sit without reg for more than 4 years it drops out of DMV's system. The old pink is no longer valid.

The new owner gets a new pink slip in his name. above it was also mentioned that the new owner will have to pay mad fee's this is also incorrect he will just have to pay for the new pink and taxes on the estimated value of the vehicle.

Now of course if its in your garage or on your property it cannot be done but in this situation it is free and clear as it is parked in a location the city does not want it....WELL!!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 02:21 PM

And how do you know this? I used to work for the DMV. I know for a FACT they have to pay the back fee's.
Since we're getting all politically correct the proper term your searching for is "title" not "pink".

Moreover, you could try conducting an "lien sale" if the vehicle is not salvaged or junked.

Last edited by SubyWrxGuy; 09-30-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by SubyWrxGuy
And how do you know this? I used to work for the DMV.

Since we're getting all politically correct the proper term your searching for is "title" not "pink".
Kinda an odd story but I used to do this all the time when I was younger and I called my cousin to verify the policy has not changed

Its kinda like insider trading but my mom was a cop in city X so she would know what cars were marked as abandoned and getting ready for tow. If the car had bad reg I.E. older than 4 yrs I would regester it take to my home, repair it and sell it......

I actually still have a lifted 85 chevy K-5 that I held on to by doing this very same thing.....

It is also perfectly leagal......I did bump ito someone who previously owned a car I had done this with, and needles to say he was not happy but there was nothing he could do.....
Old 09-30-2011, 02:38 PM

^ Exactly dude. When you registered it, whether you realized it or not you were paying all the back fee's on it.

Right. You have your Mom the peace officer conduct a "lien-sale" making you the seller and buyer of the abandoned vehicle.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:43 PM

^ Exactly dude. When you registered it, whether you realized it or not you were paying all the back fee's on it.
No back fee's, Taxes for that years registration to be set at based on vehicles estimated value which cannot be less than $900 or somthing.

Theres a big difference between a tax and a fee.

There is no way to set a fee or penalty on a non existing vehicle as ther eis no way for the DMV to know how long it has been since it has been registered.

DMV treats the vehicle as if it were a specialty vehicle like a kit car. so they have you pay taxes on its estimated value, and charge you the fee to register a new vehicle which is $25.....

Anyway I hope he gets the car and finds some useful information. Bottom line Im not going to blow smoke up his butt to waste his time, im hoping im able to help him secure this sweet little ride....
Old 09-30-2011, 02:46 PM

Right. You have your Mom the peace officer conduct a "lien-sale" making you the seller and buyer of the abandoned vehicle.

NOPE thats what you do if the wrecking yard takes it then they place a lein sale.

If the reg is older than 4 yrs I just walk right into the DMV with the vin and say I lost my vehicle registration and title and apply for a new one....

There is a difference

And please I hope im not giving off that I am shady we were 99.9999% of the time talking about ABANDONED vehicles. I have not done this in like 12 years but I called my cousin an employee of the DMV and asked if this process has changed and she said NO!

Last edited by Shayhan27; 09-30-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:19 PM
banned

So you have been lucky.

cvc. 10851 Plain and simple. I have two cars on my property. one has not been reged in 6 years. So you think you could sneak over, pull the vin and run to DMV? Come back with a title and take my car.

I had a guy few years back pull this stunt in mr2oc. He got nailed by the CHP theft task force. When and if DMV does a audit. They will catch your *** for stealing cars.

It doesnt matter how long ago a car was not reged. Unless the owner signs the pink. Or its been lein'ed You have stolen the car.
I have gone thru this even with dead people family memebers and probate. I have titled cars and motorcycles the correct way thru DMV. Using bonds and inspections. I have also a LE training and backround when I worked for the local SO few years ago.

California Vehicle Code Division 11 Chapter 10 Article 2 Table of Contents

Sorry for doing your homework for you. Read the full section above.

You might have got away with it for now. Your lucky, and well stupid. Be lucky that you didnt try that with me.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:22 PM
banned

Originally Posted by Shayhan27
Kinda an odd story but I used to do this all the time when I was younger and I called my cousin to verify the policy has not changed

Its kinda like insider trading but my mom was a cop in city X so she would know what cars were marked as abandoned and getting ready for tow. If the car had bad reg I.E. older than 4 yrs I would regester it take to my home, repair it and sell it......

I actually still have a lifted 85 chevy K-5 that I held on to by doing this very same thing.....

It is also perfectly leagal......I did bump ito someone who previously owned a car I had done this with, and needles to say he was not happy but there was nothing he could do.....
No back fee's, Taxes for that years registration to be set at based on vehicles estimated value which cannot be less than $900 or somthing.

Theres a big difference between a tax and a fee.

There is no way to set a fee or penalty on a non existing vehicle as ther eis no way for the DMV to know how long it has been since it has been registered.

DMV treats the vehicle as if it were a specialty vehicle like a kit car. so they have you pay taxes on its estimated value, and charge you the fee to register a new vehicle which is $25.....

Anyway I hope he gets the car and finds some useful information. Bottom line Im not going to blow smoke up his butt to waste his time, im hoping im able to help him secure this sweet little ride....
Dude.. You would have had to lie on the DMV paperwork stating in the statement of facts that you are the true owner. You scammed DMV out of other peoples cars. It makes me pissed off just reading this ****. There is a legal way and a scam. You have just admited to stealing cars.

Oh and maybe the old owner just didnt know what to do. But pull that **** with me and well you'll be locked up for a long time!
Old 09-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by old.guy
Dude.. You would have had to lie on the DMV paperwork stating in the statement of facts that you are the true owner. You scammed DMV out of other peoples cars. It makes me pissed off just reading this ****. There is a legal way and a scam. You have just admited to stealing cars.

READ ABANDONED VEHICLES.........

Did you miss the part wher eI mentioned it does not work if the vehicle is on your property.....

I think it may be difficult for you to catch the context. I am simply referring to the OP's post and situation with a little life experience mixed in....

If i do this to a vehicle on YOUR property I am stealing and you are absolutely correct.....I would never attempt to do this to a vehicle located on YOUR PROPERTY.......Not only am I stealing but I am also tresspassing....

For clarity I am referring to vehicles that have been abandoned on a public roadway who's registration is older than 4 years. Is it the right way to do it NO is it Illeagal NO. I am simply not waiting for it to get to the tow yard, and pay the lein fee.

Let me restate I have not done anything like this in 12 years, and the only vehicle I ever had an issue with the previous owner was the Blazer I still have, and I actually bought that on a lein sale but I knew the owner of the tow company, and only had to pay the fee's.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:36 PM
banned

READ ABANDONED VEHICLES.........

Did you miss the part wher eI mentioned it does not work if the vehicle is on your property.....

I think it may be difficult for you to catch the context. I am simply referring to the OP's post and situation with a little life experience mixed in....

If i do this to a vehicle on YOUR property I am stealing and you are absolutely correct.....I would never attempt to do this to a vehicle located on YOUR PROPERTY.......Not only am I stealing but I am also tresspassing....

For clarity I am referring to vehicles that have been abandoned on a public roadway who's registration is older than 4 years. Is it the right way to do it NO is it Illeagal NO. I am simply not waiting for it to get to the tow yard, and pay the lein fee.

Let me restate I have not done anything like this in 12 years, and the only vehicle I ever had an issue with the previous owner was the Blazer I still have, and I actually bought that on a lein sale but I knew the owner of the tow company, and only had to pay the fee's.
READ that link 100% before you post again. ONLY a police officer can remove a car, truck or what ever off the roadway. That is 100% how Anderson got nailed on mr2oc.

You can not touch anything unless the owner has signed the paperwork over to you. Or its been towed by local PD or CHP and the tow yard has lien'ed it.

If I ever hear of anyone pulling this crap. I will see 100% to it that said person is arrested for car theft. As I stated before. Do it the legal way. Or do not do it!
Old 09-30-2011, 03:38 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
taking something that is not yours with out asking is steeling!

Quick Reply: Someone help me save this old school RX-2!!