So my work just submitted my "resignation".. Is this shady as hell or what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:26 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX --> 07 STI --> 10 Cayman S
So my work just submitted my "resignation".. Is this shady as hell or what?

So I'm an intern right now working at this software company (who shall remain nameless, but it is a smaller company). I've been working here for the last 8 months working in the Marketing team. So since I started, I went through a re-org process, got a new boss who me and him didn't get along very well.

Fast forward to July and I get a call from a big-name software/computer company (who shall also remain nameless) for another marketing internship. I begin the interview process and give my list of references. One of whom is my old boss who originally hired me and me and him got along really well, so I thought it'd be good to put him as a reference. So a few weeks go by, and in between then, I go through the interview process and they call my reference. And basically I did well in the interview process and all my references check out fine. So my old boss comes up to me and tells me he got a call and we just chatted for a little bit on why I wanted to leave and whatever. It was a VERY friendly conversation and I had the assumed confidence that he wouldn't go around telling a bunch of people.

Then back-pedaling to last Friday, I get an offer letter from the company and decide to wait till Tuesday (I usually don't work Mondays) to submit my official resignation from my current company.

So then today, I just randomly check my email and low and behold. My old boss (who I used as a reference) sends out an email to EVERYONE in the office that I am leaving the company and that my last day is on Friday. I'm incredibly shocked by this because I did not submit anything formal and in-fact just submitted my official acceptance of the job just today!

I feel a bit back-stabbed and snubbed. Especially since I DID NOT submit any resignation letter nor did I tell my current boss that I had intentions to leave the company. So it was a bit awkward that I had to call my boss and tell him that I was leaving.

I guess on the bright side, I'll get a whole week off before I start my new job

But I'm still pretty pissed right now that all this was done without consulting me... What do you guys think?
Old 08-17-2009, 05:29 PM
BAM9 Ladies choice Carshow winner

Car Info: 13 FR-S/05 STI
Damn, that sucks. . .well good luck in your new job! When you comin out to the Vallejo Meet? We have one guy that comes all the time!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by STI RUSH
Damn, that sucks. . .well good luck in your new job! When you comin out to the Vallejo Meet? We have one guy that comes all the time!
Yeah, my new job will definitely be better in terms of experience and the kind of company it is.

Haha, I think its time to go out to a Subie meet, I haven't gone to one in a long time. When's the Vallejo meet?
Old 08-17-2009, 05:35 PM

Car Info: '08 SpecB
Well, I think it depends on your email. Since you were cool with your old boss, maybe he thought he was sending you off with style. You know, so you could get a going-away lunch or something?
Old 08-17-2009, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by pter
Well, I think it depends on your email. Since you were cool with your old boss, maybe he thought he was sending you off with style. You know, so you could get a going-away lunch or something?
I actually wouldn't be THAT surprised if that was his intention. But knowing him, he might've made a bad assumption and thought that I already talked to my current boss. I actually hoped to keep working for the next 2 weeks (hence, 2-week resignation), but its been cut short, and now I can at least enjoy my Summer vacation for a week
Old 08-17-2009, 05:40 PM

Car Info: '08 SpecB
Sounds good! Keep looking on the bright side
The fact that you have two job opportunities is pretty great already!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:49 PM

Sounds like you are cool with your old boss, if I were you I would still make good with your current manager. I would tell him what happened and so he doesn't fell like you told you were disrespecting him by not going to him first. You were still undecided at that point.

I've been in this industry long enough to know this, it's a small world. Don't burn any bridges.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 wrx wagon
Did you tell your references that you were using them as references before they got called? If you came talked to them about interviewing with another company before sending off references from your current place, they may not have sent that email.

Don't know all the details with your situation, but if I got a call from some other company asking me about a current employee who was interviewing with them, I'd be a little annoyed if that employee didn't tell me about it.

But congrats on your new job.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:53 PM

Car Info: Car
As long as you dont sign anythign or give than a written notice, you can still file for unemployment for that week between the2 jobs. Pretty shady that you boss would usher you out instead of letting you leave when you were suppose to.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:55 PM

It sounds like a misunderstanding - I wouldn't worry too much unless you think your old boss was being malicious.

I have a question though: Did you ask your references first for permission to give their names to prospective employers? It is polite and also gives them a bit of warning in case anyone calls them.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:55 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
be happy you have a new job and are moving up. pretty rare in this economy.

But yeah, pretty shady.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by shim022
Did you tell your references that you were using them as references before they got called? If you came talked to them about interviewing with another company before sending off references from your current place, they may not have sent that email.

Don't know all the details with your situation, but if I got a call from some other company asking me about a current employee who was interviewing with them, I'd be a little annoyed if that employee didn't tell me about it.

But congrats on your new job.
Actually this part was "my-bad", my old boss (who I used as a reference) was always away in Taiwan and during the interviewing process he was in Taiwan (for the most part). And I didn't want to use the company intranet to send out an email to him saying I was going to use him as a reference, and I preferred to tell him personally. So the day that she started calling my references, was the day I physically saw him and explained it to him. But he already got the call and gave me a positive feedback to the hiring manager. From what I gathered, he seemed like he was extremely cool with it and in fact understood the difficulties I was going through with my current manager. So I'm not sure if he had really malicious intentions

Originally Posted by Lorry
It sounds like a misunderstanding - I wouldn't worry too much unless you think your old boss was being malicious.

I have a question though: Did you ask your references first for permission to give their names to prospective employers? It is polite and also gives them a bit of warning in case anyone calls them.
Yeah, I'm presuming it was a misunderstanding. And although I don't really mind leaving on Friday, I don't want to necessarily leave on a bad note with the people I want to keep in touch. We shall see as the week progresses.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:05 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Your current boss violated quite a number of state and federal laws. Bring HR into it, if you need, bring the state in on it. A good lawyer should be consulted too.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:06 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX Limited & 2002 Civic
Wow, that's a little ridiculous. I think the smaller companies tend to take things like that personally and sort of hold grudges.
But oh well, it's done and you get some time off before a new job!
Old 08-17-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Overbear
Your current boss violated quite a number of state and federal laws. Bring HR into it, if you need, bring the state in on it. A good lawyer should be consulted too.
Yeah, I'm sure they did... But given my very young career in the tech-industry, it's not the best idea to take them to court and not get hired anywhere. I am only an intern after all

Originally Posted by twiz454
Wow, that's a little ridiculous. I think the smaller companies tend to take things like that personally and sort of hold grudges.
But oh well, it's done and you get some time off before a new job!
Yeah, I have a total of 3 internships. I've experienced working at a company HQ with a bunch of great people (many of whom I still keep constant contact with), but absolutely no growth in my career (worked in HR). Then I moved on to a Taiwanese software company that's small-medium (roughly 3K-4K employees), but our "satellite" office was pretty small and got to know the entire consumer team a little too well. And now I'm moving onto a enormous computer company (well over 300K employees), so lets see how it goes.

Quick Reply: So my work just submitted my "resignation".. Is this shady as hell or what?