So I finally got pulled over. Hood popped, Exhaust checked...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 06:02 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by SubyN00by
hmmm, what did they say about the turbo timer, I got pulled over the other night and the cop asked if I had a turbo timer...

I don't get how a turbo timer could possibly be illegal unless the person instructing these classes for the police has no idea WTF it is and what it's for.

The turbo timer does nothing but idle the car to cool the oil in the turbo down. Has NOTHING to do with performance or smog levels.

I don't get why the state ref wouldn't let AVE keep it in and I don't see why they'd ask.

If a cop asked me I'd say....WHY? If he said just answer me I'd say....WHY? give me a reason why it matters or come in my car and find it yourself. I don't have one and if I did I'd stash it out of site just cause I like things out of site.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:15 PM

Car Info: WRX --> RX-8--〉E93
that really sucks, when the cop pulled me over and poped my hood, also saw the intake. but he was nice and didnt write it down, so i just got a citation for alert exhaust.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:38 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by stylin525
just dont go and pay the fine. Not sure how much it is, but im guessing 200 or under.
Im not even going to waste my time at a state ref if i get one.

I thought it was more like 2000 DOLLARS.

Can someone confirm?

Cause I remember Imprezer got reffed the morning of Mt. Hammy last year and he's got a major decked out ride. I'm sure if it was as simple as a small fine everyone wouldn't be stressing out so much over this ticket
Old 03-29-2007, 09:57 PM

Car Info: 04 STi & an autox Lemming
I would uninstall the catch can as well...
Old 03-29-2007, 10:21 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by stylin525
just dont go and pay the fine. Not sure how much it is, but im guessing 200 or under.
Im not even going to waste my time at a state ref if i get one.
Too cool for school, lol.

Bad luck man, I've been planning mods based on ease of reverting back to stock...
Old 03-29-2007, 10:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: na
where in phill did you get pulled over and who was the cop? I know alot of PHPD, my dad is a phpd volunteer.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:28 PM

Car Info: vtak mota
Originally Posted by verc
I thought it was more like 2000 DOLLARS.

Can someone confirm?

Cause I remember Imprezer got reffed the morning of Mt. Hammy last year and he's got a major decked out ride. I'm sure if it was as simple as a small fine everyone wouldn't be stressing out so much over this ticket
the fine is like 350+

but if you can put ur car back to stock and pass smog... that would be best.. then all you have to pay is the $10 fix it
Old 03-30-2007, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by vietnameeh
the fine is like 350+

but if you can put ur car back to stock and pass smog... that would be best.. then all you have to pay is the $10 fix it
that is totally not worth it then, I don't understand what people stress out about when they get a ticket for mods? Maybe if it's something simple like a downpipe, but if you've got a rotated mount, a built motor w/ cams that won't pass, shouldn't be much of a hassle to just pay then?
Old 03-30-2007, 12:55 AM

Car Info: 3456
Smile

nope this year they dont do it 10$ anymore.......i got pulled over for invidia turboback exhaust and they sent me to state rev......when u pass smog everything 1 or 2 weeks leter they sent me the bill.......which i have to pay 498$ and 7 months leter i got the secend time get pulled over and i have to pay fine of 512$ ..........no joke at all they actually goes to ur record.....so good luck guys
Old 03-30-2007, 08:55 AM

Car Info: Twin WRX Turbo VR-4
Originally Posted by wm07
I would uninstall the catch can as well...

Catch cans are actually legal. It's classified under "blow-by pickup can" or something like that.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by sebastianwrx
nope this year they dont do it 10$ anymore.......i got pulled over for invidia turboback exhaust and they sent me to state rev......when u pass smog everything 1 or 2 weeks leter they sent me the bill.......which i have to pay 498$ and 7 months leter i got the secend time get pulled over and i have to pay fine of 512$ ..........no joke at all they actually goes to ur record.....so good luck guys

You mean it goes on your driving, your insurance, or both? As an actual POINT on your record?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2007, 09:33 AM

Car Info: 06 STI cgm
Originally Posted by slagehammer
Yeah, he didnt physically check for my cat... my car is too low to see anything anyways. If I come in with a cat in place they wouldn't know a difference.

The BOV I can turn around 180 degrees and route a pipe into the intake.

Question, do smog stations or state ref's actually test for EGR? Not just the sniffer... but test if EGR is working or not... because i'm pretty confident i can pass smog with no EGR.

Question #2, do I go to court or state ref first? Is it possible if I show up to court with information about my cat-back and filter the judge can drop these offenses?
not sure if this applies but back in the day when i still drove my nissan I did a smog and it found that my EGR valv was not working and i failed. i got hat fixed and smog was fine.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:22 AM

ok

Originally Posted by sebastianwrx
Ok, well i guess prices change or fluctuates depending on whatever?! iono, But My friend said he paid $175 when he was reffed. DAmn 500 bucks i might just have to cry when i get one.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:54 AM

Car Info: '05 sti
Originally Posted by SubyN00by
I put a call in to the local CHP office, he said he didn't know anything about turbo timers or what they were, but then again, he hadn't taken the advanced emissions class yet either. He took my name and phone number and said he'd have someone else give me a call about concerning turbo timers and their legality.

I'll post as soon as I hear anything.
now they know u have a turbo timer... there on to you now!! fear
Old 03-30-2007, 01:06 PM

Car Info: Twin WRX Turbo VR-4
If the fine is only a few hundred dollars I will pay it. It's not worth my time to have to put every emmision part back on and re-tune for the damn sniffer...

I'll let ya guys know when I get this ish in the mail

Quick Reply: So I finally got pulled over. Hood popped, Exhaust checked...