Smoke... What's wrong with my sti

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon
I saw the turbo looks like it got hot because there is whiteish discoloration around the bolts to downpipe and anything protruding off the turbo. Could be a buildup of something...idk
Old 02-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Clogged uppipe cat?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Heedz
Clogged uppipe cat?
Invidia catless uppipe with EGT removed and plugged with a bolt...Car still runs and drives fine, seems like its boosting too? Friend of mine thought maybe the downpipe came loose and its just an exhaust leak...
Old 02-16-2012, 10:57 AM

This problem is really bothering me...just can't put my finger on the cause of smoke?
Old 02-16-2012, 12:07 PM

Car Info: 05 white WRX
I was gonna say some sort of liquid the body shop used that may have spilled on the turbo/downpipe but it seems the problem persists.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by wilde
I was gonna say some sort of liquid the body shop used that may have spilled on the turbo/downpipe but it seems the problem persists.
The thread is from the original person with a smoke problem. I thread jacked him. haha

I'm running an 02 wrx and am having the same problem. Hasn't spent any time in the body shop though. (however I did just whack a deer on the passenger side front and it goes to the body shop monday...quincidence)
Old 02-16-2012, 03:50 PM

So i went out and checked my downpipe to turbo bolts, they were tight. I felt all around the turbo to see if I could feel any residue of a leak, couldn't feel anything. I started my car and let it warm up to operating temperature, no smoke...? I had a friend rev up the engine and turn the wheels etc...no smoke?
I went for a short drive 5-10 min. some stop and go and wouldn't you know it it started smoking from under my turbo again. On the drive it felt normal no noises no loss of power but when i stopped it just started smoking. I really am stumped a geuss next i put it up in the air and crawl under, any suggestions?

Heres a pic of my turbo, i'm concerned about the white discoloration around the bolt and nut heads?
Attached Thumbnails Smoke... What's wrong with my sti-downsize-14-.jpg  
Old 02-16-2012, 06:31 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
White smoke is steam. How is the water level? Check the oil fill cap. Anything yellowish under it?

If you cant really figure it all out.. Go to Jaklin rd in Milpitas. There are some guys there that can help you figure it out. And for FREE!!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Take it to a Suby shop, LIC, GST, EQ, FW etc...you will find they will take a look for you and diagnose it pretty quick
Old 02-16-2012, 07:18 PM

Thanks for the responses. Only problem is I'm 3 hours north of all those shops haha. I've been researching all day and am going to get under my car tomorrow and check what i found on the forums. Looks like Inner CV boot, Power steering hoses, and the obvious oil return lines are common problems. Power steering fluid was at min. but I can't remember when the last time I filled it was. Otherwise off to a shop i go.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
all subie boxer engines have leaks in the valve cover and head gasket area its a common thing...mine has the same problem and i put it in a lift and saw that there was oil dripping on my headers creating smoke also seen that the rubber hose under the turbo is not clamped correctly that the oil will hit the down pipe
Old 02-16-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by 831subaru
all subie boxer engines have leaks in the valve cover and head gasket area its a common thing...mine has the same problem and i put it in a lift and saw that there was oil dripping on my headers creating smoke also seen that the rubber hose under the turbo is not clamped correctly that the oil will hit the down pipe
Thanks, Ya I noticed my valve covers were a little oiley when I installed my uppipe downpipe. I didn't remove the turbo though so I never disconnected those hoses. Worth a look though. I didn't think it was my valve covers because it just started happening and its been oiley for awhile.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Not sure where you are (I'm on mobile) but my buddy said there's a decent repair shop in paradise... said the owner has a 400+whp wrx and works on almost nothing but subarus...ill try to get the name if you are interested
Old 02-16-2012, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by slugrx
Not sure where you are (I'm on mobile) but my buddy said there's a decent repair shop in paradise... said the owner has a 400+whp wrx and works on almost nothing but subarus...ill try to get the name if you are interested
Paradise is as far away east as the bay area is south. Thank you though!
Old 02-17-2012, 04:30 PM

Climbed under my car today and couldn't find any leaks or a torn cv boot. I did find a pinhole leak in the seam on my downpipe that was pushing oiley condensation out of it. I'm geussing thats where the smoke was coming from. Had my buddy tack it up with his welder and boom no smoking yet.

Might have fixed it!