Sheriff's patrol car hits bicyclists, kills 2...Stevens Creek

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 03:08 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Sheriff's patrol car hits bicyclists, kills 2...Stevens Creek

Sheriff's patrol car hits bicyclists, kills 2 before Stevens Creek Reservoir on Stevens Canyon.

He cut over the line and hit 3 of 4 bikes, killed 2 people. 1 from Oakland and San Francisco.

Front page of SJ Mercury Monday March 10th

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 03-10-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:11 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti aka Subrina!
i just heard about this on the radio currently its being reported as if the deputy driving the car fell asleep. really sad
Old 03-10-2008, 03:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07 Car
good hes done for
sucks for the bicyclists
Old 03-10-2008, 03:18 PM

Heres the article:

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_851704...nclick_check=1

It happened at this turn. So i guess he kept going straight or was on his computer.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...00912&t=k&z=20

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 03-10-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:19 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
I read that story on SF Gate this morning. My first reaction was one of disgust for the cop crossing the double yellow line and a sick feeling in my stomach for the cyclist he killed. I wanted that idiot cop to suffer and have the book thrown at him. Now, after a little thought, I realize that Sheriff's life is ruined and just feel sad about the entire situation.
Is it really that hard to keep you vehicle in the appropriate lane?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Damn, that SUCKS! What a freak accident... omg, my heart goes out to the families and friends of the victims.... Ug, the people lost were someone's sisters/brothers/sons/daughters/etc... Just riding their bikes.. Damn, I can't even imagine how the people involved feel...

Also, I feel really bad for that cop... I know he killed the people, but it was an accident, just imagine what he's going through now... daaaamn.

This is just f'ed up all around and every way you look at it.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:28 PM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX Wagon, 08 SSM STI
man, i've biked on that road for 15+ years. In fact, I was trying to go up that same section of road on Sunday, about an hour after the accident happened, but the police turned us around. This is all pretty f'ed up.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by BlingBlingBlue
I read that story on SF Gate this morning. My first reaction was one of disgust for the cop crossing the double yellow line and a sick feeling in my stomach for the cyclist he killed. I wanted that idiot cop to suffer and have the book thrown at him. Now, after a little thought, I realize that Sheriff's life is ruined and just feel sad about the entire situation.
Is it really that hard to keep you vehicle in the appropriate lane?
I know exactly what you mean... and yes, it could have been avoided, but thats how life is... EVERYONE makes mistakes, and sometimes the smallest mistake can lead to the worst possible outcome as seen with this accident. This could have happened to ANY of us in any of the roles, bikers and the cop. We're all human, and we all have lapses in judgement... we all get stressed/sleepy/distracted, it's just unfortunate that the officer had to take the lives of innocent bikers to see his flaw.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:29 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by brucelee
Damn, that SUCKS! What a freak accident... omg, my heart goes out to the families and friends of the victims.... Ug, the people lost were someone's sisters/brothers/sons/daughters/etc... Just riding their bikes.. Damn, I can't even imagine how the people involved feel...

Also, I feel really bad for that cop... I know he killed the people, but it was an accident, just imagine what he's going through now... daaaamn.
Yeah so it was an "accident" but he did it in a totally inexcusable way if you ask me, I mean an accident in your own lane/direction of traffic is one thing, stuff happens to the best of us, but crossing the double yellow on a mountain road to such a degree that he wound up high sided on the left bank, seriously, WTH was going on?

Originally Posted by brucelee
This is just f'ed up all around and every way you look at it.
Uh oh, "they" might have to discipline, or even ban you for dodging the swear filter!
Old 03-10-2008, 03:33 PM

Very sad for Bikers, i wouldnt be surprised if they werent single file though. A lot of bikers are just begging for accidents to happen by where and how they ride.

yeah, but saying he fell asleep could just be him covering his ***...for all we know he couldve been on his computer, but didnt want them banning it from the department from his mistake. they probably wouldnt since they need to use the computer info 24/7 but who knows what really happened.

I dont understand how anyone falls asleep driving, i think its just a huge excuse that everyone uses to cover up their crappy driving.

Then again i've never been in another persons body so maybe he had sleep apnea.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by psoper
Yeah so it was an "accident" but he did it in a totally inexcusable way if you ask me, I mean an accident in your own lane/direction of traffic is one thing, stuff happens to the best of us, but crossing the double yellow on a mountain road to such a degree that he wound up high sided on the left bank, seriously, WTH was going on?

Uh oh, "they" might have to discipline, or even ban you for dodging the swear filter!

Don't get me wrong, what he did was TERRIBLE and totally inexcusable... All I was saying is that it was a freak accident and sadly it could have easily been avoided. (Well, unless of course he had a seizure or something)
Old 03-10-2008, 03:41 PM

Car Info: 07 WRX stage 2/ 05 Yamaha R6
wow
Old 03-10-2008, 03:47 PM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX Wagon, 08 SSM STI
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
Very sad for Bikers, i wouldnt be surprised if they werent single file though. A lot of bikers are just begging for accidents to happen by where and how they ride.
Sure... but that usually only applies if you're driving in the same direction as the cyclists. The cop drove across the double yellow and hit the cyclists head on.

I dont understand how anyone falls asleep driving, i think its just a huge excuse that everyone uses to cover up their crappy driving
I can understand how someone can fall asleep at the wheel, just not at 10 AM and when you've just started your shift. They might as well blame this on Daylight Savings causing him to lose one hour of sleep.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:48 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
I don't see how it matters one bit if they were riding single file. A Sheriff's cruiser veered into their lane and killed them.

This is why I do not own a road bike and drive my mountain bike to the trails. It's unfortunate, really, because road biking is also very fun.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:53 PM

if you had 5 riders riding abreast, the 1st will get killed faster than the 2nd one, the 2nd faster than the 3rd etc.

i road bike a few times a year to train for mtn biking, dirtbiking...but you will never find me on the outside of riding 2 abreast.

even if there were GUARANTEED no cars coming behind me, there are still cars coming head on, and riders know that cars cross the line.

the difference was a life taken. I bet the saved riders were riding on the inside

Quick Reply: Sheriff's patrol car hits bicyclists, kills 2...Stevens Creek