SF to LA I-5... at night?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 04:24 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
When doing the night time drive, depending on how late it is be careful of tired drivers.

I was driving down to L.A. with one of my friends and I caught a glimpse of the driver behind me driving a bit erratic. I just kind of had a weird vibe from him. I would drive passing cars and he would get pretty close to my car when he was driving. He did this a few times. I finally sped up to over 100 and drove like that for a bit just to put some distance between him and me. Not long after I see him come speeding up to me again. I finally jumped in between a couple of cars (might of been a couple of big rigs) in the right lane so that this guy would pass me and wouldn't get behind me again. He finally passed me in the left lane. I waited for him to pass then finally got back in the left lane again to keep going. Not 5 minutes later I see this guy basically crashed on the side of the road. Not pulled over mind you, he was off the shoulder of the road at like a 45 degree angle going into the shrub / grass / dirt section on the right side of the road and very obviously stopped at that point.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:53 PM

Car Info: 2014 WRX
I-5 is not bad at all at night. I'd keep an eye out when driving past underpasses. Most of the time when I see cops on the 5 they're hiding right after an overpass behind the pillar, or somewhere on the median. It's super rare though.
And like everyone mentioned, Pacheco pass and grapevine can get foggy. Was actually snowing once on the grapevine pretty cool
Old 02-03-2015, 06:03 PM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Anyone ever drive I-5 from the SF to LA at night? I've driven it multiple times during the day, but never at night -- how is it?
Its actually quite nice when you turn off the stereo and can hear your car rumble in the cool nights breeze.

Super clear sailing with no traffic? ****ty visibility?
Not much traffic and good visibility as long as you have good lights except for some of the uphill portions on Pacheco pass and The Grapevine.

Maybe I'll get raped in one of the rest stop toilets? Will I manage to hit Burbank in under 4.5 hours?
Don't stop at a rest stop, just stop in Buttonwillow or another small town gas station. Buttonwillow was always my go-to.

How are the number of cops and trucks at night vs. during the day?
Never noticed the cops at night but then again I drive 75 all the way down and my heads not on a swivel for them either

Also bonus question: how is the Pacheco Pass from Gilroy to Gustine at night?
Pacheco pass isn't bad except for clarity on uphills as mentioned. Be careful and keep your distance of other cars though, a lot of drunk drivers on that road. I prefer to take 101 south to 25 East and then make a left on 152 at the 3rd light I believe. You skip a lot of the drunks and slow drivers that way because there is only one passing lane until it hits the two lane at Casa de Fruta. Be careful of wind and fog on both Pacheco Pass and The Grapevine

Last edited by esousa22; 02-03-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:08 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
It was very foggy in Central Valley when I drove down there last month.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:32 PM

Car Info: 2021 Ascent
done it several times. the only gripes i have is that there's more trucks and more likely to have road constructions overnight. a bit annoying at times. make sure there's no scheduled constructions.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:35 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by x002x
done it several times. the only gripes i have is that there's more trucks and more likely to have road constructions overnight. a bit annoying at times. make sure there's no scheduled constructions.

oh hai!
Old 02-05-2015, 03:44 PM

Car Info: WRB 2012 WRX Sedan
Anyone ever drive. I-5 from the SF to LA at night? I've driven it multiple times during the day, but never at night -- how is it? Super clear sailing with no traffic? ****ty visibility? Maybe I'll get raped in one of the rest stop toilets? Will I manage to hit Burbank in under 4.5 hours? How are the number of cops and trucks at night vs. during the day? Also bonus question: how is the Pacheco Pass from Gilroy to Gustine at night? Thanks!
I travel down so cal frequently and prefer the nigh ride.. Mind you, I have 3 kids and the wifey. Traffic is hell during the day
Old 02-05-2015, 04:01 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
Used to go at night all the time, on my bike too. Never had any issues and pulled over a lot due to my back needing a rest.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:19 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
I personally prefer going by daytime. Just gotta choose the right time to avoid la traffic
Old 02-06-2015, 01:45 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by Kaimino
My best time from El Monte to Livermore was about 5 hours (during the day though), so good luck with that going from SF, but then again I don't go overly fast. CHP is hunting down those speeders day and night. Trucks not as much at night, but still plenty to block the lane.

That was my experience anyway, could be different with others.
Sounds like we need a i-club cannon ball run
Old 02-06-2015, 01:45 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by bkblitzed
I personally prefer going by daytime. Just gotta choose the right time to avoid la traffic
Not true, there is always traffic here
Old 02-06-2015, 01:48 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
I've made it from Tracy to San Diego in less than 6 hours leaving at 8pm. And that was with driving 55 through construction constrained LA.
I like SD more for visiting, its more fun.

Nor cal to SD i-club canon ball run!

or we can end it in the south bay, portifino hotel.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:52 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by JZ oo7
I prefer 5 much more at night. There's too many ****ty drivers that doesn't understand to use the left lane only for passing during the day.
OMG yes! and they look at you like you are crazy when you are telling them to move over.

OH and if you ride their ***, its the worst thing in the world apparently
Old 02-06-2015, 02:10 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by Deniz1980
Traffic is hell during the day
I can confirm my 12 mile ride takes an hour some days.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:26 PM

Car Info: sti hatchoo!
i find it easier. i usually drive down to LA numerous times every year. just drive at speed limit (70mph) near the town of Coalinga. i got busted there once and had my license suspended for a month, plus $1600 in fines and don't even get me going with the three years of insurance hike!

Quick Reply: SF to LA I-5... at night?