i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   SF to LA I-5... at night? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/sf-la-i-5-night-263532/)

Choku Dori 02-01-2015 09:03 PM

SF to LA I-5... at night?

Anyone ever drive I-5 from the SF to LA at night? I've driven it multiple times during the day, but never at night -- how is it? Super clear sailing with no traffic? ****ty visibility? Maybe I'll get raped in one of the rest stop toilets? Will I manage to hit Burbank in under 4.5 hours? How are the number of cops and trucks at night vs. during the day?

Also bonus question: how is the Pacheco Pass from Gilroy to Gustine at night?

Thanks!

WRBSTi13 02-01-2015 09:47 PM

I don't like traffic, who does right? When I go visit my grandparents in SD, I always leave the bay area at 1-2 a.m. I can make it to SD in 5 hours that way and there is no traffic unless there is road work. Around 5 am is when you need to start slowing down. Almost every time there will be a chp that Flys down the freeway to get everyone to start slowing down. Works amazingly well. Everyone goes from doing 90-95 to 75 instantly. Also, before, during, and after the grapevine is another slow down area. Cops love to snag people there. I don't stop at the rest stops.

Kaimino 02-01-2015 09:58 PM

I've driven from LA to Bay Area at night before. Smooth sailing, but not without traffic. If you already feel the drive is endless driving during the day, then you better be prepared to feel an eternity of being on the road. You cannot see any nearby surrounding landmarks 70-90% of the time due to lack of lighting, except a horizon of lights that just don't get much closer for hours. Better get some good rest.

Don't worry about getting raped at the rest stops as they are all closed, so maybe at the gas stations on the way.

My best time from El Monte to Livermore was about 5 hours (during the day though), so good luck with that going from SF, but then again I don't go overly fast. CHP is hunting down those speeders day and night. Trucks not as much at night, but still plenty to block the lane.

That was my experience anyway, could be different with others.

El Wray 02-01-2015 10:04 PM

Pacheco Pass = extremely dense fog on certain times of the year. CHP is anal around Los Banos. Mostly past I5, toward town, but they can be seen between the reservoir to I5 on occasion.

I5 is clear sailing for the most part. Its fairly well paved, you can get some good speed going and most people in general drive quickly. Gusty winds on occasion can knock you around. Since there are a lot fewer cars on the highway the likelihood of one of them being CHP/LEO is higher. Still, as long as you aren't doing anything dumb it should be ok.

bkblitzed 02-01-2015 10:22 PM

[QUOTE=Choku Dori;3583037]Anyone ever drive I-5 from the SF to LA at night? I've driven it multiple times during the day, but never at night -- how is it? Super clear sailing with no traffic? ****ty visibility? Maybe I'll get raped in one of the rest stop toilets? Will I manage to hit Burbank in under 4.5 hours? How are the number of cops and trucks at night vs. during the day?

Also bonus question: how is the Pacheco Pass from Gilroy to Gustine at night?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Night= no traffic whatsoever unless they're doing road work. Now hitting burbank from SF in 4.5 is a bit of a stretch but i wouldn't say impossible if you take quick gas stops and no bathroom breaks. But ive done monterey to long beach in around 5hours and 30 minutes. That's with averaging 100mph. Pacheco Pass to Gilroy is fine. I personally rarely ever see CHP on pacheco pass itself, but once you get near the exits for gilroy and hollister, that's when i start to see them.

chimchimm5 02-01-2015 10:36 PM

Hooleecrap 4.5 hrs? Wow you guys are flying.

As for night, it's usually clear and very boring. So get rest before you go. In the winter fog is a concern. It can get really thick and the only way to go is to slow down and tail light snake the entire way through it.

Choku Dori 02-01-2015 11:09 PM

You guys are the tits! Thanks!

Looking forward to hearing more thoughts and experiences from others as well. :)

Heedz 02-01-2015 11:34 PM

I left with Keegan at 11:45pm. Got to downtown la at 5:30am. That's with two stops one being for jack n the crack at lost hills.

Cops. Literally none. Radar never went off. Traffic. Meh. Minimal but there's definitely big rigs everywhere.

GrnFozzy 02-02-2015 12:14 AM

I made it to l.a from south sj in 4hrs doing 115mph but slowing down when getting close to overpass on I5 and for some reason i always see a chp when i get near the cattle ranch that sticks all the freakin time..lol

aznpride65o 02-02-2015 01:06 AM

Every time I head to SoCal I leave around 12-1, get to LA Around ~7 AM problem is that you hit traffic.

JZ oo7 02-02-2015 03:38 AM

I prefer 5 much more at night. There's too many ****ty drivers that doesn't understand to use the left lane only for passing during the day.

bluwrxwgn 02-02-2015 09:11 AM

I've made it from Tracy to San Diego in less than 6 hours leaving at 8pm. And that was with driving 55 through construction constrained LA.

pghiocel 02-02-2015 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just drove my STi and the last of my stuff from SF Bay Area to Long Beach (late Saturday night). It was a fast clear drive. Love driving up the Grapevine.

I think the most annoying part of I-5 is when it is so packed and people keep going on the right lane to pass the "line" of people waiting for the left lane traffic to clear.

I just moved down here to this :) Supposedly there is a house but I am not sure where it is. :wavey:
[attach]210130[/attach]

AlanarchySTI 02-02-2015 10:23 AM

Just watch out for those coyotes crossing the road.

chochocho 02-02-2015 10:39 AM

went from san ramon to arcadia at night....actually, we started at around 8pm and got there by about 1am. not much traffic. usually it's a 5 hour drive for me, give or take 15 to 20 minutes.

if coming back from LA, i tend to leave from there around 5am to try to beat the traffic.

it's a 5 hr drive with a rest stop in a minivan.