Satellite TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by TurnWRX
u may get it but I'm not in the same zip code as u. Same as with ATT U-Verse. I don't get it in my area/zip code.

edit: lol I went through the same page on Dish Network's website to check if they offer it and now they do...I must've did something wrong before.
Yeah, I would be VERY surprised if you didn't get it and you lived in the Bay Area. I can see like if you like in Monterey County or like San Joaquin or something, and you didn't get it. But any county that touches the bay should get it it.

Right now it looks like the Diamonbacks @ Giants game will be on at 7pm in HD.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:34 PM

Car Info: '04 ed tuned vf39 jbp wagon
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Great news!

Any info you can provide?
Sorry...I don't have much info. We don't deal with how the satellite is ultimately used, just making sure that it will work for whatever Dish wants for a long time
Old 09-30-2009, 10:07 PM

Car Info: baby blue TRICK STAR on pink TUFF II's (MIA) =(
i've been w/DirectTV for almost 2 yrs, and don't have any complaints other than....

--i no longer get NBAtv...thought it was part of my programming package (Choice Extra HD), but apparently, it was only an introductory promo offer thru the first season.

--they just took away my ECL (ESPN Classic) channel too, so no more Sportscentury, old school NBA games or boxing matches.

To answer a few of your specific concerns......

Pros of DirectTV: (as opposed to Comcast. never checked into Dish)

more channels
better picture quality
generally, more inexpensive+less frequent price hike$
better assortment of programming packages, esp for sports

Cons: (for moi, primarily installation related)

a lot of installers are lazy and just want to use/run as little cable as possible, so most will just run it from the dish to the nearest wall behind your tv & punch a hole wherever that may be. i'm a pretty good schmoozer, so i was able to sweet talk my installer into giving me a more low-pro/neater install for the living room. he hid the line behind the rain gutter running down the side of the house. but he had to revert back to the standard install method for the rear bedrooms cuz hiding the lines back there would've required pulling a bunch of the ground floor ceiling panels and then drilling several holes in the side wall, structural beams. i don't use the yard much, so i figured, "Out of sight...out of mind."

another installation aspect that a lota people don't dig w/satellite tv is that you gotta have a spot to mount the dish. lucky for me, the dude was able to mount mine to a kitchen exhaust pipe behind the chimney, so everything is pretty much obscured from the street views.

only other con i can think of is that rain & inclement weather mess up the reception, but i've only had a handful of probs w/intereference in my 2 years of service. i've never hand to re-aim/calibrate the dish either. <KNOCK ON WOOD>

oh, and i don't really watch the Bay Area Comcast Sports Channels cuz I'm not really a stickball fan, & my heart can't take following the "Warriors" too often, but I do get those channels w/my package (Choice Extra HD). I pay about $80/month now in my 2nd yr of a 2 yr contract. the 1st yr I paid about half that, so I'm gonna have to play hardball w/their Customer Retention Dept when it comes time to re-up in Jan.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:35 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
I've been on Comcast, Dish and now Direct TV. I liked Comcast because of the Internet, but Dish offered a lot more channels for less, so I switched. The dish customer interface is not as smooth as Direct TV, but I liked the channels that Dish had more than DTV.

The problem is that the 1 channel that I really watched moved from Dish to DTV, so I moved. I don't hate DTV, but I don't think it's quite as good as Dish.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:06 AM

Car Info: '07 OBP STI
I have Dish and the service is alright. I like it better than Comcast, which I used to have. I do get Comcast Sports and I like the flexibility of seeing programs 3 hours early or at their regular time for many stations.

My main issue with Dish is their customer service/accounting and their installers. The installer cut my Comcast (for internet) cable and wouldn't come back out to fix it, claiming that he didn't know how. I had to pay Comcast to come out and fix it and have Dish credit my account. Of course, they screwed that up and ended up charging me an extra $100 isntead. It was a battle, but I got it sorted out. Still, it left me feeling not so great about my new, spiffy satallite tv provider.

By the way, the Comcast guy that came out to fix it said that he had done nothing but fix these types of issues from Dish installers that weekend. It may just be a grudge between installers in my area, but I would still keep a close eye on the Dish installer and your bills if that's what you decide to go with.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by Ddraig
I have Dish and the service is alright. I like it better than Comcast, which I used to have. I do get Comcast Sports and I like the flexibility of seeing programs 3 hours early or at their regular time for many stations.

My main issue with Dish is their customer service/accounting and their installers. The installer cut my Comcast (for internet) cable and wouldn't come back out to fix it, claiming that he didn't know how. I had to pay Comcast to come out and fix it and have Dish credit my account. Of course, they screwed that up and ended up charging me an extra $100 isntead. It was a battle, but I got it sorted out. Still, it left me feeling not so great about my new, spiffy satallite tv provider.

By the way, the Comcast guy that came out to fix it said that he had done nothing but fix these types of issues from Dish installers that weekend. It may just be a grudge between installers in my area, but I would still keep a close eye on the Dish installer and your bills if that's what you decide to go with.
I've had nothing but great experiences.

Our dish guy installed two dishes for 110/119 and 148. (back in like 2005). He was courteous, and made sure to leave the cable coming from the street alone. He wired it all up so it worked, and it was cool.

When I got into FTA I learned out satelite systems work on DISH, esp the newer digital swtich sytems, and I rewired the cabling myself to make it more stream line and allow me to easily add a FTA reciever and test dish.

When I ordered HD in 2006, the guy that came ended up bringing another 20" dish, and mounted it below the other two. So now we have THREE 20" dishes on the left side of the house. People must've thought we were like a broadcasting station But that guy was super cool. I told him that i installed the 3x4 switch and rewired all this. He seemed impressed, and when he would walk inside he would put on plastic bags around his shoes so that he wouldn't mess up the carpeting.

When Dish moved International channels to 118.7 from 148 we needed a new dish. They came and removed all three 20" dishes and put up 1 36x24 Oval dish that hits 110/118.7/119/129 all on 1 dish. Again, super nice, fast, courteous.

Even when I ordered Comcast for internet in march the comcast guy was awesome. Had no problems talking to me about their expansion to DOCSIS 3.0.

Maybe I'm just lucky?!
Old 10-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Old School

Or maybe when my dad built the house he ran RG6 to all rooms and from a central panel outside...
Old 10-01-2009, 10:46 AM

Car Info: '07 OBP STI
Maybe it's just a war of installers in my area. I've had far better experiences with the comcast installers. But seriously, since the house is prewired for comcast the dish guy had to go way out of his way to find and cut that line. It was nowhere near what he was working on. And it wasn't like he cut a cable in one room, he cut the cable coming into the house.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by CLsmooth71
oh, and i don't really watch the Bay Area Comcast Sports Channels cuz I'm not really a stickball fan, & my heart can't take following the "Warriors" too often, but I do get those channels w/my package (Choice Extra HD). I pay about $80/month now in my 2nd yr of a 2 yr contract. the 1st yr I paid about half that, so I'm gonna have to play hardball w/their Customer Retention Dept when it comes time to re-up in Jan.
Wut? I thought the Dubs + Nellie are your fav team evAr! lol

You do u pay $80/month? Their choice xtra hd package is $70/month...Is it because of the extra receivers?