Sad times for owners and their imported GT-Rs

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 11:45 AM

Car Info: C:/ and D:/
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Why does anyone care about that F&F2 Skyline?

It's a total mock up car. SCC did a test drive on all the FF2 cars, and the hot pink S2K was hands down the fastest best setup of all the cars.

That's sad...

The govt needs to just stop *****ing about japanese imports. I don't see them busting all the other cars.
The one in the picture is from the fourth F&F, which looked to me to be an actual legitimately nice car (maybe, I don't know anything about the real life version).

And anyway I thought these types of cars were okay to be driven "recreationally" and with very low mileage per year, I don't really see what makes a Skyline different from anything else out there existing under the same rules, unless the Skylines are operating under a supposedly different set of rules.

Also, LOL at skylines violating EPA standards. They should be concentrating on doing something about the bajillion pre 1979 cars out there that are completely exempt from smog, rather than the tiny number of Skylines that are here. I assume that rule still exists, right?
Old 10-02-2009, 11:46 AM

yea 200. My point was it was technically a production car so it could be used as racing. They didn't have r34's here as production cars. The 959 is not a kit car.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:52 AM

Car Info: 2001RSTI
This is some BS....It clearly states on the NHTSA website that R33's are eligible for importing.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/...elig060109.pdf

Why not just let the R32 and 34's in as well. Charge an import tax and be done with it. This is all a ploy to stop the hemorrhaging of US carmakers' earnings...
And it's well known that Kaito cars have always been a sketchy endeavour. It's old news that Kaito cars were going to cause problems and that they could never work in CA...But the fact that the Feds are going in and confiscating cars that are already imported is a violation of the owner's rights. Unless of course the owners did a VIN swap and registered their cars as 240s

Last edited by JamesGRrallye; 10-02-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:13 PM

Car Info: 4日本車
Originally Posted by sigma pi
no the 959s are the other loop hole that bill gates and others lobbied to get

it has to be less than 500 examples made and driven less than XXX miles a year
Yeah, with enough money, any car can be "legal" to drive in the US. If Gates wanted a GTR R34 more than anything in the world, it'd become legal, plain and simple.

P.S. wow I hit 1,000
Old 10-02-2009, 02:43 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
There is at least one R34 VSpec II NUR in North America. I hope they don't find it and crush it.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:59 PM

Car Info: 2001RSTI
The owner of the bodyshop that's currently working on my car has a pristine R34 with FL plates. He was telling me about the kit car loophole and how he planned to go this route with his car in order to reg. it in CA. Looks to me like he's S.O.L.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
wow that blows
Old 10-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
There is only one 959 and Porsche produced less than 400 examples.
Theres about 30 of them in CA alone. Bruce Canepa had them brought over, he switched out the turbos to Garetts, and then it becomes a kit car. There are 8-10 in the bay area, all bought from Bruce. Bruce at one point had over 10 sitting in his santa cruz shop.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:46 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by JamesGRrallye
This is some BS....It clearly states on the NHTSA website that R33's are eligible for importing.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/...elig060109.pdf

Why not just let the R32 and 34's in as well. Charge an import tax and be done with it. This is all a ploy to stop the hemorrhaging of US carmakers' earnings...
And it's well known that Kaito cars have always been a sketchy endeavour. It's old news that Kaito cars were going to cause problems and that they could never work in CA...But the fact that the Feds are going in and confiscating cars that are already imported is a violation of the owner's rights. Unless of course the owners did a VIN swap and registered their cars as 240s

motorex brouoght over r33s
they modifed them to pass US crash tests

you have to do doors and glass and other stuff

thats why R33 s are OK to bring in
Old 10-02-2009, 03:50 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by slow04wrx
yea 200. My point was it was technically a production car so it could be used as racing. They didn't have r34's here as production cars. The 959 is not a kit car.
OK i worked on the skyline R34 that raced in the speed vision series a small bit

the car was a super taiku and was brought in under a race car never to go on the street

a race car is a race car and a street car is a street car.

they wouldnt be confused with each other
they look the car over quite a bit
Old 10-02-2009, 03:53 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
There is only one 959 and Porsche produced less than 400 examples.
yup
Production 1986–1989
(337 produced)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_959

its the real porsche super car no carrera GT crap
Old 10-02-2009, 05:01 PM

Car Info: Stage 2 '13 WRX hatch
Originally Posted by flukewrx
Based on the article (and other information I've read in the past) they only did the Crash Tests for the R33's.
Correct, they only did crash testing on the R33. Afaik, all of the r32-34 Skylines Motorex brought over were registered as 1995 models. None of the cars that were imported and sold through Motorex will be snagged by the feds be they r32, r33, or r34 due to the fact that those cars have been bond released by the DOT. They are only snagging cars that were brought over as parts, reasembled using the exact same parts that came off the car, and registered as kit cars.

The Porsche 959 can be imported because Bill Gates actually got a bill approved that allowed ultra low production (and historically significant) vehicles to be imported and registered. The GTR is nowhere near low production so that particular law doesn't apply here. (Maybe the 22b could be registered )

Also, I believe cars like Noble are dot bond released so thats why those cars are allowed.

For a long time Motorex would not tell anyone how they went about converting the cars because they wanted to be the one and only Skyline importer in the US. I guess they revealed part of their method in that article though. Too bad RB Motoring gave up on trying to import Skylines .

Last edited by Sasco; 10-02-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:03 PM
mda

Car Info: ?
Noble cars are inherently known as 'kit-cars' it was the only way it started. They ship the cars in as Nobles and they use engines that are picked from the 'factory' as a 'package deal'. :-X

Give Turbohoses.com a call and they will school you in the art of buying and owning a Noble M-XXX.

Hoover and another person there know their ****.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:47 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by Sasco
Correct, they only did crash testing on the R33. Afaik, all of the r32-34 Skylines Motorex brought over were registered as 1995 models. None of the cars that were imported and sold through Motorex will be snagged by the feds be they r32, r33, or r34 due to the fact that those cars have been bond released by the DOT. They are only snagging cars that were brought over as parts, reasembled using the exact same parts that came off the car, and registered as kit cars.

The Porsche 959 can be imported because Bill Gates actually got a bill approved that allowed ultra low production (and historically significant) vehicles to be imported and registered. The GTR is nowhere near low production so that particular law doesn't apply here. (Maybe the 22b could be registered )

Also, I believe cars like Noble are dot bond released so thats why those cars are allowed.

For a long time Motorex would not tell anyone how they went about converting the cars because they wanted to be the one and only Skyline importer in the US. I guess they revealed part of their method in that article though. Too bad RB Motoring gave up on trying to import Skylines .
RB is getting out of skylines almost completely except for the few that they have there
Old 10-05-2009, 12:53 PM
9 to 5 mod

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/03/n...sible-illegal/