Sad times for owners and their imported GT-Rs

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 05:30 PM

Sad times for owners and their imported GT-Rs

http://wot.motortrend.com/6590691/we...nia/index.html

Imported specialty cars are no rare thing in the U.S. Collectors all across the nation have been shipping in rare automotive gems for decades. Laws regarding foreign-market car shipped into the U.S. aren't taken lightly, though, as several Nissan Skyline owners are finding out.

Making a splash on the Web today is the plight of some Southern California-based previous-generation Nissan Skyline GT-R owners who've found out they're being targeted by Federal authorities for driving illegally registered vehicles. The cars were imported using loopholes in customs laws regarding automobiles and automobile parts and now that the Feds have caught wind of it, they're shutting it down quick.

According to some owners, at least two R34 series Skyline GT-Rs and one R32 have already been confiscated by officers. Many more cars, they speculate, will be receiving a similar fate.

As the story goes, many of the California Skyline GT-Rs have been imported by a company called Kaiso, who has for a number of years made a profitable business out of importing individual GT-R shells and drivetrains, presumably to be sold for parts.

Upon delivery of the components, the company reassembled the GT-Rs and several owners have registered the cars as "kit cars" under a California-specific Specially Constructed Vehicles (SPCNS) 4750.1 title. The title is fairly rare -- only 500 permits per calendar year are issued -- and grants a 'Specially Constructed Vehicle' a highly desired smog exemption. Legal details are many, but essentially, a "kit car" by law cannot resemble the vehicle its components are based on. Additionally, the engine used must be California-legal -- previous-generation Skyline GT-Rs were never sold in the U.S. and do not meet either EPA or DOT regulations. That's two strikes against the reassembled GT-Rs, and registering the cars may have been what brought them to the Feds' attention.

It seems the Feds have had enough with the shady importation and titling procedures and have begun their sweep on illegally titled, assembled, and publically-driven Skyline GT-Rs. According to the Feds, the vehicles have violated both EPA and Department of Transportation law as they have neither been crash-tested or smog-approved per Federal mandates and will therefore be confiscated. So far, the confiscations have all taken place in Southern California where the local branch of the U.S. District Attorney's office has been handling the case. If the Feds learn the whereabouts of any GT-Rs imported to other states, it's possible they could be confiscated as well.

If you happen to be wondering what the big deal is, pristine, low mileage Skylines GT-Rs can go for a pretty penny that's usually close to the six figure amount. Also, other states have been known to be more lax on their emissions regulations, so if you know of 10 Skyline GT-Rs running around in your town, you most likely live in one of those states.

Check back for more as the story unfolds.
One of the GT-Rs seized was the blue R34 in Fast and Furious and is about to become scrapmetal
Old 10-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Wonder if this applies to other makes as well...
Old 10-01-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Wonder if this applies to other makes as well...
my co-worker has an imported honda fit and is running a K20 engine in it using the same method as described above lol
Old 10-01-2009, 05:39 PM

Car Info: Stage 2 '13 WRX hatch
I remember on automotiveforums.com a few years back there was a lot of talk about this "loophole". Some decided that it was perfectly legit while others argued it was only a matter of time before they were caught for using it. Guess we know which side is right .
Old 10-01-2009, 05:40 PM

Car Info: Stage 2 '13 WRX hatch
Originally Posted by TurnWRX
my co-worker has an imported honda fit and is running a K20 engine in it using the same method as described above lol
I wonder if that's ok since the k20 didn't come in the Honda Jazz and technically it's a smog legal motor.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sasco
I wonder if that's ok since the k20 didn't come in the Honda Jazz and technically it's a smog legal motor.
dunno but he did the same methods as above, took out all parts and imported the shell here, and shipped the parts separately, and reassembled it with some modifications and a built motor.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:49 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

wait... that is bull**** though...

the fed or the state gave the OK.

so now they are backtracking themselves?

i mean if the inspector of the final vehicle gives it an approval as a "kit car"... then the problem is with the inspector, who didnt follow the laws or is a complete idiot...

i mean people all the time try to circumvent the laws via "loopholes" and are shut down...
Old 10-01-2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ldivinag
wait... that is bull**** though...

the fed or the state gave the OK.

so now they are backtracking themselves?
read the DOJ letter, they don't even know if the car is legal or not lol

Old 10-01-2009, 05:54 PM

The blue R34 is from the Fast and Furious movie sitting at an impound lot
Old 10-01-2009, 05:55 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

that letter is typical goverment SCARING YOU BS UNTIL YOU **** IN YOUR PANTS tactic...

look...

when i applied for this car, a government agency either told me it IS or ISNT legal.

now, i have this paper that says they said it IS LEGAL...

so take your letter and shove it up collective asses...

btw, my skyline was stolen and found in the nevada desert burned until nothing but VIN plate...

:evil smiley:
Old 10-01-2009, 06:02 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX, 2015 Murano, 2017 NGM Camaro SS
why can't they just let the cars be?...Jerks.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:04 PM

Car Info: 2016 FXT
I am friends with 3 R33/R34 owners in Dallas and know of 10 others running around the area.

Ironic since the Dallas car scene sucks compared to CA
Old 10-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
i have been following this story for some time. the whole story can be found here:

http://gtrusa.blogspot.com/

basically the issue is that kaizo was selling these as cars, and making $ off of it. As the law clearly states, its not illegal to import parts, and build a car. The issue here is that it was intended to be put back together with the original parts of that exact car, and then a loophole was used to register said "car"

this truely is pathetic though, that our hard earned $ that the government steals is being used to fund such a pathetic lame government scheme.

Technically if i understand it correctly, the only people that it should apply to is KAizo, because the defrauded the customer by selling them something not completely legal.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:07 PM

^ Kaizo's website shut down lol
Old 10-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
ugh, the LDM GTR drama continues..

worse part is, some of these GTRs WERE FEDERALIZED! Motorex did all the homework and spent tens of thousands to make the R32s and R33s they imported meet NHTSA safety standards and were legally registered NOT as kit cars.

Only problem is Motorex then got in trouble by bringing in R34s and thought they could cheat by calling them R33s so they wouldnt have to go though the headache of and cost of federalizing a third model GTR.

Unfortunately, any R34s here are screwed, but any of the old Motorex R32s and R33s are fully legit. Seems like the DOTs left hand doesnt know what its right hand is doing. Theres gonna be some lawsuits.

Quick Reply: Sad times for owners and their imported GT-Rs