Rotella users roll call

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:40 AM

Car Info: 12 STi hatch
Originally Posted by Overbear
All I am going to say boys and girls, is read the damn manufacture recommendations.
Yes normally I would agree.

However, the manufacturer recommendations and owners manual only apply to a STOCK vehicle, at stock power levels. Anything beyond that changes the game.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by mooshoo

However, the manufacturer recommendations and owners manual only apply to a STOCK vehicle, at stock power levels. Anything beyond that changes the game.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:49 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi

Old 01-10-2014, 09:08 AM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
Just use it or don't use it. It's not rocket science
Old 01-10-2014, 09:27 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Myself and about 3 other friends that are Subaru owners all use it. Motor has yet to blow up on any of our vehicles. Vehicles range from stock to 400hp.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:11 AM

Car Info: 06 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Originally Posted by bkblitzed
Just use it or don't use it. It's not rocket science
Agree 1000%. it's not your vehicle, screw it do what you want.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:34 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
I recently switched to it. 5w30 went through my engine like water. 5w40 has been hanging around a bit longer.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:57 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
All I am going to say...
thank god.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:06 PM

manufacturer recommendations and owners manual only apply to a STOCK vehicle, at stock power levels. Anything beyond that changes the game.
It's not about power levels or whatever kind of magical car you own. Manufacturer specs are meant to protect them from lawsuits claiming damages resulting from use outside of their recommendation. It's the same reason doctors can't prescribe many medicines for their TESTED and CONFIRMED off-label uses, regardless of how effective they may be.

If you have any concerns about oil/engine wear, get your used oil tested. Blackstone Labs offers this service for ~$25. Short of having empirical data to support whatever ideas you might have about oil, you're just making **** up.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Lil' Slugger

Car Info: 05 WRB STi Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
I use it in both of my cars and the wife's. Seems to work well.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:42 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
I frequently use T6. The 06 WRX manual says the 5w40 is ok for my engine and that it must be SM rated (which T6 is). Besides the glowing NASIOC review people swear by, it was these two items in the manual that made me say ok to T6.

The first couple of uses seemed to clean sludge out of my engine as the oil got really dirty quickly. I had been using regular oil before, and it also got dirty by 4k, but not this dirty. Then, after the 3rd interval with T6, it magically stayed clear and clean. Looks like the "for diesel oil" does indeed have antisludge agents and they cleaned my engine.

I did not get the oil tested.

BTW... although "clean looking oil" is no indicator of the oil still being good (needs to be tested), does "dirty oil" indicate that the oil is now "bad"?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:59 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by chimchimm5
Besides the glowing NASIOC review people swear by
A "glowing review" by a bunch of short bus riding retards does not make for a great recommendation.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:16 PM

Car Info: 08 WRB/Gold STI. EQ Tuned, E85, 340whp 390wtq

If whatever oil the dealer was putting in worked for your car (not burning too much etc) then why change now? If it aint broke, etc etc
My 08 has been running whatever the dealer oil is since day 1, and i have had zero issues, and thats running at 5 different power levels across the cars life. I check the level periodically, change it every 3k or so, and thats as much effort as i think oil needs for a stock motor (irrespective of power level)
Old 01-10-2014, 11:28 PM

A "glowing review" by a bunch of short bus riding retards does not make for a great recommendation.
Do you realize that you have completely failed in separating yourself from that group of people in any possible way? My point, which I will clarify since you seem to have an issue with reading comprehension, is that you are also a "short bus riding retard" as you so kindly put it. Thank you for your input on this matter, but unless you have any genuine input that hasn't freely fallen past the worn out sphincter that is your face I would ask you to please avoid polluting these oil change threads with your ****.

In the meantime, here is one person's results after using Rotella T6 for 5500 miles in a "stage 2" 03 wrx:

And here is another from someone who ran the same oil for ~3500 miles (first column on the left) after running Pennzoil Platinum for the previous 3 analyses (3 columns on the right of the "averages" column)

Last edited by Gancherov; 01-10-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:48 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
All I am going to say boys and girls, is read the damn manufacture recommendations.
But don't forget to ignore the manufacturer recommendations for oil filters!

Quick Reply: Rotella users roll call