Rocks in the brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 07:18 PM

Car Info: 1988 Carrera & 2013 Carrera S
Rocks in the brakes?

Hey guys,

I was driving home today and drove through some construction, and bam all of a sudden I have some kinda squeeking coming from the driver side front wheel. However, it only squeels when I turn the wheel to the right, but not when I press on the brake. Also, the squeeling is more like a grind too, doesn't sound like a steering pump, and is clearly coming from the wheel well.

I'm thinking it might be something that's stuck inbetween the rotors and dust shields, but I'm not exactly sure. I'm just hoping it's not the strut or anything too serious.

Anyone ever have this before?

Oleg
Old 08-20-2005, 09:20 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Ignoring the fact that you drove through a construction area, that sound/description sounds like you ruptured one of your booties. All you need to do is get under the front and check out the rubber near the tire, is it torn or even disconnected on one end?

You could also pull off the wheel and inspect it....you may have to pull off both sides if it's not clear which wheel is making the noise.

Good Luck.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:20 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Just recently I auto-X at GGF and right after my brakes starting squeaking pretty damn loud. It was on my driver's front side wheel too. I pumped the brakes a few times and it went away, only to come back within an hour.

Funny thing is, I only heard it when I turned right too. Not knowing what it might be, I wasted my time taking my car to Livermore Subaru (BIG MISTAKE). They told me it was low pads, but I knew it wasn't because I took them out to make sure it wasn't. They insisted that could be the only problem. Somehow they figured that out w/o taking my wheel off (I forgot to give them the wheel lock key).

Long story short, it was either 1 of 2 problems as I fixed them at the same time. My slider pins for my caliper were kinda sticky so I regreased those, and while doing that I took off my rotor and noticed it was slightly rubbing my dust shield which i fixed by bending it back a little bit. All of it was done within an hour.

EDIT: Typo

Last edited by STi-owns-evo; 08-21-2005 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
... I took off my rotor and noticed it was slightly rubbing my rotor which i fixed by bending it back a little bit...
You bent your rotor by hand? You bent it true? I didn't even know that was possible.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:05 AM
fo0

Car Info: 2001 2.5RS BRP + 2007 WRX STI OBP
I've had this happen to me on two occasions. The first time it magically went away. Second time it happened it didn't go away and it sounded like it was the brake pad wear indicators so I took it to the dealer to check the brakes. They said it was just a rock inbetween the rotor and shield. It's a terrible, loud noise. Very squeeky, similar to fingernails on a chalkboard.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by AntiochCali
Ignoring the fact that you drove through a construction area, that sound/description sounds like you ruptured one of your booties. All you need to do is get under the front and check out the rubber near the tire, is it torn or even disconnected on one end?

You could also pull off the wheel and inspect it....you may have to pull off both sides if it's not clear which wheel is making the noise.

Good Luck.
I really hope that the boots did not pop off. If they did though, it would leave a bunch of grease all over the wheel wells, which I do not have (although one of the cv boots did get replaced because I ruptured it during a coilover install).

Well, I'll take off the wheels tomorrow morning and inspect. I'm hoping its just a bunch of rocks somewhere.

Thanks for the help guys, and more input is always welcome.

Oleg
Old 08-21-2005, 01:21 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
You bent your rotor by hand? You bent it true? I didn't even know that was possible.

OOPS, I meant it was rubbing my dust shield, and I bent that back a little bit... haha, I don't think bending rotors by hand is possible either
Old 08-21-2005, 01:40 AM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
i've had a rock hit that shield near the brakes, put a dent in it, and ricochet and put a clean cut right through my boot. get it fixed before dirt and other stuff gets in there.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Calsoldier
Hey guys,

I was driving home today and drove through some construction, and bam all of a sudden I have some kinda squeeking coming from the driver side front wheel. However, it only squeels when I turn the wheel to the right, but not when I press on the brake. Also, the squeeling is more like a grind too, doesn't sound like a steering pump, and is clearly coming from the wheel well.

I'm thinking it might be something that's stuck inbetween the rotors and dust shields, but I'm not exactly sure. I'm just hoping it's not the strut or anything too serious.

Anyone ever have this before?

Oleg

Most likely, a rock stuck in between the sheild and rotor. It happened to me too.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by cyyeo
Most likely, a rock stuck in between the sheild and rotor. It happened to me too.
Charlie is that you? I haven't seen you in ages...Where are you working now?

I have a question about this thread, if he had a rock stuck in the rotor would it:

....only squeels when I turn the wheel to the right, but not when I press on the brake. Also, the squeeling is more like a grind too...
Wouldn't a rock in the rotor squeel when he is driving all the time, not just turning and would you be able to feel it grind or would it just whine?
Old 08-21-2005, 05:46 PM

Charlie is that you? I haven't seen you in ages...Where are you working now?

I have a question about this thread, if he had a rock stuck in the rotor would it:

Wouldn't a rock in the rotor squeel when he is driving all the time, not just turning and would you be able to feel it grind or would it just whine?

You got me.... I am currently working for www.santacruzautoone.com.

In regards to the squeal.....mine was intermittent. It won't hurt to check out the brakes before you pay a mechanic for diagnostics.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:38 PM

I fixed the problem today. It was just a few pebles stuck between the dust shield and rotor. I pulled em out and everything seems to be ok now. *Knock on wood*

Thanks a lot for all the info guys.

Oleg
Old 08-21-2005, 09:17 PM

I fixed the problem today. It was just a few pebles stuck between the dust shield and rotor...
Glad to hear it, thanks for letting us know.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:33 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

what worse is 4 wheeling with cross drilled rotors in the mud. heavy thick mud.

then later that week, you realized, you didnt get all the mud wash out and now the dried caked in mud have solidifed in the holes and everytime you hit the brakes, the worst possible sound coming from your brakes could be heard...
Old 08-23-2005, 01:38 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
try dragging the brakes in reverse. That worked for me to dislodge the stone...