RE-11's & others on closeout at Tirerack

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
i see no point in trying to dd such nice tires since you're basically wasting them on the street. That's just me though.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
Perhaps try reading.
Not sure I follow since the re70's have a utg of 140, even lower the re11. Also if you look at the tread pattern of the re70 there are even less blocks or larger ones however you want to say it, it looks closer to a race tire in my opinion. I know the re01 or whatever the re11 replaced was not as hardcore a tire as the re70 either as I had a set after my re70. I'll admit I've never tried or driven a set of the re11 but their UTG is 40 higher and the new one r11a 20 higher than that. Also the first years of the GT-R here came with them so I don't think the re70 sucks that bad as a performance tire? Where are you getting this data? I personally just think bridgestones lack feel all together and am not a fan, but trying to deny the merits of the re70's dry grip for a non r seems silly.

the best tires for all!!!

-star spec for cars that see a lot of track and are not dd / rain, probably the hankook is good to but can't actually say and would be scared to see how fast they'd wear - Also wanted to add I've never tried these new star spec 2's
-michelin super sport midground and best street tire
-dws for an all season
-dedicated snow tire like the blizzak or michelin if you can afford them for people who live in areas with snow on the ground all winter+

Last edited by slow04wrx; 03-28-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:42 PM

Car Info: 09 STI
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
-star spec for cars that see a lot of track and are not dd / rain, probably the hankook is good to but can't actually say and would be scared to see how fast they'd wear
RS3 > SS Z1. They also wear fine.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:33 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by bkblitzed
i see no point in trying to dd such nice tires since you're basically wasting them on the street. That's just me though.
I totally agree with this.

I was horribly disappointed that I never got out to the track with my re01s. But at least I autox'd them. Real life sometimes just doesn't let you do want you want to do.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:00 AM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by bkblitzed
Using stickier tires will allow you to stop quicker, which can help in emergency situations on the road.

Originally Posted by wwrx

RS3 > SS Z1. They also wear fine.
That depends on the situation.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:04 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Not sure I follow since the re70's have a utg of 140, even lower the re11. Also if you look at the tread pattern of the re70 there are even less blocks or larger ones however you want to say it, it looks closer to a race tire in my opinion. I know the re01 or whatever the re11 replaced was not as hardcore a tire as the re70 either as I had a set after my re70. I'll admit I've never tried or driven a set of the re11 but their UTG is 40 higher and the new one r11a 20 higher than that. Also the first years of the GT-R here came with them so I don't think the re70 sucks that bad as a performance tire? Where are you getting this data? I personally just think bridgestones lack feel all together and am not a fan, but trying to deny the merits of the re70's dry grip for a non r seems silly.

the best tires for all!!!

-star spec for cars that see a lot of track and are not dd / rain, probably the hankook is good to but can't actually say and would be scared to see how fast they'd wear - Also wanted to add I've never tried these new star spec 2's
-michelin super sport midground and best street tire
-dws for an all season
-dedicated snow tire like the blizzak or michelin if you can afford them for people who live in areas with snow on the ground all winter+
Treadwear is not particularly a good indicator of anything. I know of 500 treadwear tires that will only last 25k miles and 180s that will last 20k. There are 340 TW tires that will manhandle 220 TW tires (specific example is RE760s vs Dunlop SP10s). And RE01Rs were VASTLY stickier than RE070. They are not in the same league and complaints about how poorly STI OE RE070s handled when pushed were very common. The aggressive tread pattern is also not the best indicator of how well a tire works either, see Sumitomo HTR ZII vs ZIII (hint, the ZIII is in almost every way better except in weight). RE-11s are faster tires than Star Specs.

Last edited by Brfatal; 03-29-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:15 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Where are you getting this data?
Name:  T4jZnGi.png
Views: 4
Size:  503 Bytes

RE-11's are consistently rated higher than everything else in its category.

Tires are always an interesting subject. The characteristics that people want out of their tires varies so much. Some people prefer UHP tires while other prefer all season tires.

I recently picked up a set of Z1 Star Specs, I'm excited to DD them. I am not so excited to be chewing through them just commuting to work.

It's a balance. Always a balance.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:07 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
I dailied a set of 225/45/17 z1 star specs and I loved it, id run that tire on everything if they were cheaper

I got 25k out of them (mostly driving highway 17) and sold them used to a guy who said he got another 10k out of them

can't remember who said they weren't good in wet, but they were amazing in the pouring rain on 17/280/101

To be fair, the z1 is the only tire I've tried in the upper category of hp tires

I've run 452s, 912s, s-drives, and g19 grids (none come even close to how awesome star specs were)
Old 03-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Z1's gave me ***** and fast times up Hammy.

Got about 15k with a good 3 times a week up Hammy for a few months.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:18 AM

Car Info: 2013 BRZ
I love my RE11

I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a very sporty tire that works well on the road, the track, the backroads, the wet. not the snow, but duh.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:27 AM

Car Info: 05 18g LGT Wagon | Former 08 LGT Spec.B
RE11, Starspec z1/z2, advan ad07/ad08's are all awesome DD/track tires.

For a DD commuter car, yes it would be a waste. Just about the same waste as a stg 3 subie with coilovers on stretched Nexens.

If I wasn't tracking the car, I would go with some touring UHPAS conti's for DD, and my Lm22's for snow duty.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:36 AM

So the re11 is a stickier more track focused tire than the star specs / rs3?

Also the tire data looks to be collected from regular people? is there any objectivity or are people just making their rating up?

here is a decent test I found but no re11
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...-sport-page-10

It would be cool to afford the advans

Last edited by slow04wrx; 03-29-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:06 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Traction and focus are pretty relative. It also depends on the car. What works well on one car might not work so well on another.

RE-11 has been known to be a more streetable tire in that it's more comfortable and produces less noise. However it will still have a short lifespan like its competitors.

For the most part, the data is collected from people willing to give it. I feel like the sample size makes up for any kind bias that might be withing the data.

Tire Rack also does their own testing.
Tire Test Results : Testing the New Extremes of Extreme Performance Summer Tires

The results are about the same.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:26 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
RE01, RE11, and Z1 are so close in my opinion that unless you are at the competitive level in autox or are actually going for truly best lap times in track, then it's better to go with which one is easier/cheaper for you. And as I mentioned, the level of grip they provide is dangerously more than you'd ever need on the street. They can make bad driving "fast".

Here's the use model I have: I have 2 sets of 17" wheels and 1 set of 16" wheels; to do multiple duty in DD commuting and carting around my kids, plus a few events (track/autox/rallyx) per year, and maybe some weekend backroads driving. With a new UHP summer, I'll drive on it new to break it in, then switch to "the old tire" and run that to save the broken in UHP for events. Then when the events have worn down the UHP (usually the outer edge) then it becomes a street duty tire.

One important factor is tire age.... so unless you're doing several events in a year, you don't necessarily want to be storing your tires for the once every other year event and end up with a 5+ year old tire.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:43 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Hmm... TWO sets of UHP wheels and tires...

I currently have 3...

Light 16x7 with hard, narrow 205 tires for long boring roadtrips.
Stock 16x6.5 with soft, wide 205 tires for AutoX (stock classification).
Stupid heavy 18x8 with medium 235 tires for DD.

The crazy part, the AutoX set and DD set grip about the same.

I have always had the plan of three different sets.

Quick Reply: RE-11's & others on closeout at Tirerack