Rant - Bay Area drivers SUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 10:32 AM

Car Info: GR.SEDAN
Originally Posted by 04GG
... but they HAVE to be the in the fast lane, even if they are only going 70. ...
70?!? i'm pretty sure that's felony speeding in hawaii (+30 is felony right?)

we have freeways that have 30 mph sections (not offrams, full out, miles long...)

you sir must visit hawaii just for the traffic. i swear you'll hug ever ipod-headphone-wearing-fast-lane-driving-brake-riding san franciscan you meet lol

i love driving in sf compared to here...
Old 01-21-2011, 10:39 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by tesh
70?!? i'm pretty sure that's felony speeding in hawaii (+30 is felony right?)

we have freeways that have 30 mph sections (not offrams, full out, miles long...)

you sir must visit hawaii just for the traffic. i swear you'll hug ever ipod-headphone-wearing-fast-lane-driving-brake-riding san franciscan you meet lol

i love driving in sf compared to here...
LOL. Yes, I say "only going 70" because average speed here is higher than that. I do believe +30 is a felony here also, but that would be 95 on the freeway here. We aren't talking about 2 lane highways here either.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:16 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx
Originally Posted by Turbo Rob
Move to LA because the drivers are sooo much better.
lol! i hope i'm picking up a crap load of sarcasm there. =P
Old 01-21-2011, 12:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I am a motorist.

Last edited by wombatsauce; 03-19-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:08 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Drunk driving is one thing and my mother was killed by a drunk driver, but from my point of view - I will take the person who is focused, engaged, paying attention and driving 10-over the limit over the person holding exactly the limit or worse yet going 10 under in the fast lane any day of the week.
Wow, sorry to hear that. I completely agree about the second part - a competent driver isn't an issue even at an elevated speed IMO. An INCOMPETENT driver is dangerous at ANY speed.

Someone going 23mph in a 45 zone on HWY 1 is creating a HUGE safety risk for the person going the speed limit or heaven forbid 5-10 over coming around a corner finding someone going 22mph slower than the limit. I mention these speeds because these are the speeds that I have recorded. My other car has a digital speedo as well as the analog and it's so painful sitting there passing signs that say 45 but looking coldly at the number 18 simply because the person in front of you doesn't know what they are doing in an automobile.
Again, this comes down to competency. If you have to take 5 tries to get your car into a parking spot - you shouldn't have a license. If you can't have the common courtesy to look around before you do something - you shouldn't have a license. This is kind of where I was going with the thread originally; I'm not just talking about dumb kids doing stupid things, it is literally drivers who really don't have enough common sense to be behind the wheel.

Not once, not twice, but THREE times in the last month I've had someone in front of me IN MY OWN NEIGHBORHOOD just stop in the middle of the street for no apparent reason. One was a girl who wasn't sure where she was going and rather than pull over, she just stopped right there. Two of those times, it was the SAME lady. She was going to someone's house and rather than pulling into the driveway, she just STOPPED. The second time I didn't realize I was behind her until she did the same thing.

Last edited by 04GG; 01-21-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:21 PM
VIP Member

Today on HWY 1 Northbound I was behind a woman driving a maroon Toyota Corolla (LIC# MFT2004) who went into oncoming traffic SEVEN TIMES after I started counting in a 6 mile stretch. She swerved onto the double-yellow loads of times but I am talking about at least two wheels into the on-coming lane. Three of these times there was traffic there who swerved away from her. Two of these times were in blind turns. One time it was a semi truck and she caught it at the last minute and yanked the car back into her lane. The first time she went into oncoming traffic she kicked up dirt and rocks that went all over my car as she drove through the double yellow and back again.

I got around her and saw her swerving around in my mirror once - could just see the top of her head over on the passenger side as if she were driving up HWY 1 while hand-combing the carpet on the floor of the passenger side.

What does one do? I just slow down, hug the white line on the right and give lots of space so that my car doesn't get damaged by crap that gets kicked up or if she happens to connect with a car one of the times she goes into the oncoming lane. This is really annoying, but it's also really dangerous and again something I see every day. It really brings me down because it seriously SUCKS, but also it's a really dangerous situation that I don't know what to do about.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:25 PM

Car Info: 2011 STi Sedan Plasma Blue
Today on HWY 1 Northbound I was behind a woman driving a maroon Toyota Corolla (LIC# MFT2004) who went into oncoming traffic SEVEN TIMES after I started counting in a 6 mile stretch. She swerved onto the double-yellow loads of times but I am talking about at least two wheels into the on-coming lane. Three of these times there was traffic there who swerved away from her. Two of these times were in blind turns. One time it was a semi truck and she caught it at the last minute and yanked the car back into her lane. The first time she went into oncoming traffic she kicked up dirt and rocks that went all over my car as she drove through the double yellow and back again.

I got around her and saw her swerving around in my mirror once - could just see the top of her head over on the passenger side as if she were driving up HWY 1 while hand-combing the carpet on the floor of the passenger side.

What does one do? I just slow down, hug the white line on the right and give lots of space so that my car doesn't get damaged by crap that gets kicked up or if she happens to connect with a car one of the times she goes into the oncoming lane. This is really annoying, but it's also really dangerous and again something I see every day. It really brings me down because it seriously SUCKS, but also it's a really dangerous situation that I don't know what to do about.
Almost sounds like she was putting makeup on and driving at the same time.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:27 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
Holy ****, that lady needs to lose her car
Old 01-25-2011, 12:17 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
Originally Posted by RU-X
lol! i hope i'm picking up a crap load of sarcasm there. =P
100% Sarcasm.

I just moved to SoCal about a month ago and I will take Bay Area traffic over LA traffic any day.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:14 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Since you got the plate, report her as a drunk driver. Cops will drop by her place and have a little talk with her.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:45 PM
VIP Member

Since you got the plate, report her as a drunk driver. Cops will drop by her place and have a little talk with her.
I dunno, reporting things is a slippery slope. Not sure what to do, but I don't want to become "that guy" if you follow. Was thinking maybe collecting pics and events for a month and send them to the sheriff's dept or something. I see stuff EVERY SINGLE DAY to the point that if an officer would take a drive from Pacifica to HMB and back, they would be guranteed to see some stuff - as long as they were not in their cruiser... People tend to pay more attention when there is a cruiser nearby.

So this morning, no real dangerous stuff but then I went south on HWY 1 to 92 E so I could take my wife to work this morning. I forgot about the other thing that seriously annoys me out here... So going up the long hill out of HMB, there are always materials (gravel, etc) trucks going up the hill and they go slow, but they are AWESOME in that they always ride the shoulder all the way up even after the passing lane ends so that people can squeeze by and no be stuck behind them all the way down the hill. Usually, there will be someone who is too skeerd to pass the truck, and then makes everyone else have to be held up simply because they suck at driving. This morning it was a woman in an older Pontiac GXP. There was a gravel truck w/ two trailers and he was all the way in the shoulder, as in, there could have just as well been no truck and she stayed at his flank the whole way up the hill, so we all (15-20 cars or so) had to go 15-22mph the whole rest of the way to 280. I found it funny that once we got passed the tight turn (last before getting to the reservoir) the gravel truck was nowhere to be seen, and this lady was still holding up the show.

So, cliff notes, because someone sucks at driving and/or is afraid behind the wheel, a bunch of people had to creeeeep down the hill this morning. Definitely not a safety issue, but it's damn annoying to say the least.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:56 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

I dunno, reporting things is a slippery slope. Not sure what to do, but I don't want to become "that guy" if you follow. Was thinking maybe collecting pics and events for a month and send them to the sheriff's dept or something. I see stuff EVERY SINGLE DAY to the point that if an officer would take a drive from Pacifica to HMB and back, they would be guranteed to see some stuff - as long as they were not in their cruiser... People tend to pay more attention when there is a cruiser nearby.

So this morning, no real dangerous stuff but then I went south on HWY 1 to 92 E so I could take my wife to work this morning. I forgot about the other thing that seriously annoys me out here... So going up the long hill out of HMB, there are always materials (gravel, etc) trucks going up the hill and they go slow, but they are AWESOME in that they always ride the shoulder all the way up even after the passing lane ends so that people can squeeze by and no be stuck behind them all the way down the hill. Usually, there will be someone who is too skeerd to pass the truck, and then makes everyone else have to be held up simply because they suck at driving. This morning it was a woman in an older Pontiac GXP. There was a gravel truck w/ two trailers and he was all the way in the shoulder, as in, there could have just as well been no truck and she stayed at his flank the whole way up the hill, so we all (15-20 cars or so) had to go 15-22mph the whole rest of the way to 280. I found it funny that once we got passed the tight turn (last before getting to the reservoir) the gravel truck was nowhere to be seen, and this lady was still holding up the show.

So, cliff notes, because someone sucks at driving and/or is afraid behind the wheel, a bunch of people had to creeeeep down the hill this morning. Definitely not a safety issue, but it's damn annoying to say the least.
I'd rather be that guy and keep her from accidentally killing someone, including me.

84 and 92 are two of my favorite roads...when nobody else is there. 92 is unbearable when people do that, but I think it is probably better to have them drive slow than to try to drive at a normal pace that would be well beyond their capabilities as a driver and have them kill someone. What irritates the fork out of me is when they have 25 turnouts for these people to get out of the way and they don't even know what a turn out is or care that they are holding up traffic in their tiny little "me" world.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:33 PM
VIP Member

I'd rather be that guy and keep her from accidentally killing someone, including me.
Appreciated, but I kid you not when I say this is an every day thing. I do not know if anything would be done about it, or if I would instead become some sort of target for constantly reporting things. I seriously doubt that middle-aged woman was drunk at that hour of the day, so I would not be conscientious in reporting her as a drunk driver. I am going to keep collecting data, and send it all in after some time. For example, I have several photos of that maroon Corolla showing it's left tires in the oncoming lane and clearly showing the plate. I have loads of pictures like this. I have at least one camera on me, and a camera in each car at easy reach. I also would not be surprised if the unsafe nature of my using a hand-held camera whilst driving would be brought to light.

What I definitely will do is stop by the Sheriff's station on HWY 1 and ask them what I should do about this. If they say report it, I will do so.

I read an article published in a local paper about recent accidents (head-on collisions on straight sections of HWY 1) where CHP was quoted in saying there is nothing wrong with HWY 1, it's a problem with the drivers. So they are aware that there is an issue. Which is nice.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:09 PM
VIP Member

Forgot to report in yesterday. The way in was nice. On the way back home, white mid 90's full size Ford extended cab pickup NB HWY 1 at El Granada, swerved into oncoming 3x, the last time they hung their license plate over the double yellow a bit before yanking it back over the line, and then they exited at Coronado St.

Tonight, in the merge section of HWY 1 just past Capistrano, person in a Highlander tried to pass me at the end of the merge, and ended up about 10" to my left driving partly in the oncoming, but not backing off either. Rather than get slammed into, I slowed and let them pull in front of me. I got their license plate, and emailed the Sheriff's dept and will be calling to file a formal report tomorrow if that is possible. SO SICK OF THIS ****. It's really bringing me down I have to admit.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Sucks man. I have to actually report a good/bad incident. Some stupid chick (young, clearly new driver) turned into MOVING traffic nearly hitting the guy right in front of me. He was in the third lane and she came across all the lanes completley obliviously - that was the bad. The good thing was the guy in front of me in an MDX reacted quickly and avoided both the dumb chick and the center divide.

Quick Reply: Rant - Bay Area drivers SUCK!