Rant - Bay Area drivers SUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 03:09 PM

Car Info: 2014 Subaru XV (Crosstrek)
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
You have the audacity to admit to speeding but complain about other drivers? Slow down or shut your ****ing mouth, short of drunk drivers you're the biggest issue on the road you jackass. The inconsiderate actions of people going 70 in the fast lane may irritate you, but your speeding puts the safety of others in jeapardy.

Yes, I'll admit that.

But considering the conditions, I usually drive around the limit. OK, maybe a few naughty bursts of above-the-limit, but if there's a crappton of traffic, it's not really an option.

In fact, I'm usually the one that slows down people in the left lane. (I'm now more afraid of the speeding ticket fines) I try to find an opening in the right lane for those going faster to go by.

Last edited by AWDfreak; 01-14-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:11 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
Originally Posted by AWDfreak
If all ambulances (and all emergency vehicles) had this, it might be slightly less of an issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20fbMTeEpfo
Concord PD is getting these, and I've heard that the new alameda county ambulances might have them too. They're great from what I've seen!

One other huge problem is CA's laws regarding sirens, officially per CHP standards there's only 2 acceptable tones for emergency response, the slow "wail" and the fast "yelp". They're actually taking the AIRHORN out of the 2010+ ambulances because its considered to be a non approved emergency signal.

So I don't know if that's going to be a difficult thing for private ambulances to get. It seems law enforcement are exempt from this law because I hear them with all kind of crazy tones.

Last edited by code3suby; 01-14-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:15 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
You haven't figured out yet that Sunol is the Magical Vortex where the Left Lane is the Slow Lane and the Right Lane is the Fast Lane?

There are plenty of times where I will drive Sunol on the way home from work where I will intentionally drive slightly slower than the people around me. Not doing this to be a jerk or anything, but jumping on the brakes and then getting right back on the gas every few feet is just dumb. If you've ever watched a LEO "Gap" a road to improve the traffic flow it's basically using the same principles. While it won't work and is pointless on traffic that is completely Stop & Go, it does work well when traffic is somewhat flowing, but just not flowing very well. By going slightly slower and allowing more room between you and the vehicle in front of you there is not necessarily a need to hit the brakes every time that person is doing so. Yes, you will have people getting in front of you, but don't let that phase you, just provide the same room to that vehicle as you did the previous vehicle and watch to see what happens. Chances are you are actually going to see your lane flowing. I know that I would rather go a steady pace all the way home (even if it is a slow pace it is still consistent) rather than be stuck in Stop & Go traffic the whole way.

There are a ton of Retarded Drivers out there as well as a a Ton of Pre-tards (i.e. Someone that you see is about to do something completely retarded, but they haven't done it yet).
Old 01-14-2011, 03:18 PM

Car Info: 2014 Subaru XV (Crosstrek)
Originally Posted by flukewrx
You haven't figured out yet that Sunol is the Magical Vortex where the Left Lane is the Slow Lane and the Right Lane is the Fast Lane?

There are plenty of times where I will drive Sunol on the way home from work where I will intentionally drive slightly slower than the people around me. Not doing this to be a jerk or anything, but jumping on the brakes and then getting right back on the gas every few feet is just dumb. If you've ever watched a LEO "Gap" a road to improve the traffic flow it's basically using the same principles. While it won't work and is pointless on traffic that is completely Stop & Go, it does work well when traffic is somewhat flowing, but just not flowing very well. By going slightly slower and allowing more room between you and the vehicle in front of you there is not necessarily a need to hit the brakes every time that person is doing so. Yes, you will have people getting in front of you, but don't let that phase you, just provide the same room to that vehicle as you did the previous vehicle and watch to see what happens. Chances are you are actually going to see your lane flowing. I know that I would rather go a steady pace all the way home (even if it is a slow pace it is still consistent) rather than be stuck in Stop & Go traffic the whole way.

There are a ton of Retarded Drivers out there as well as a a Ton of Pre-tards (i.e. Someone that you see is about to do something completely retarded, but they haven't done it yet).
Dam, that's an excellent way to keep it going.

I'll try that the next time I hit up Sunol grade. I usually try to keep a comfortable amount of room in front of me in general (my ABS is disabled).
Old 01-14-2011, 03:32 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by AWDfreak
If all ambulances (and all emergency vehicles) had this, it might be slightly less of an issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20fbMTeEpfo
That's cool Unfortunately, it doesn't stop people from being stupid though.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:32 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
Originally Posted by flukewrx

this is absolutely the key...

but... watch how many people completely mean mug you when they go by... LOL. then you pass them by just cruising along. people even throw the high beams... if you aren't on the bumper ahead of you, you're a bad driver. lol

you've hit your brakes once, they've braked, clutched, etc. 5+ times. and are much more stressed...

i don't recall what/where/when, but i recall an actual study of stop&go traffic and that the slow lane is always the fastest, because everyone is in a rush to get to the fast lane.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:34 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
Originally Posted by 04GG
That's cool Unfortunately, it doesn't stop people from being stupid though.
education stops people from being stupid.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:38 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball
i don't recall what/where/when, but i recall an actual study of stop&go traffic and that the slow lane is always the fastest, because everyone is in a rush to get to the fast lane.
This is totally true on the grade. The right lane NB tends to flow until after the weigh station. After that, it isn't really until after 84 that it starts to flow again and then we have the cluster f@c that is the 580 interchange.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball
education stops people from being stupid.

no it doesn't.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:00 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by ryball

no it doesn't.
Gonna have to agree on that one. I know a lot of people with some fancy paper that says they went to school who I wouldn't trust with sharp objects.

There's a difference between smart and intelligent too. I can teach my dog tricks but that doesn't make her intelligent.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
It's all about the sunset. and damn drivers stopping while going 55 on 92 to let trucks in
Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Have to add another one. WTF does every mother forker think they have to be so close to my bumper at a light? You want to get to know me better? This one is a pet peeve of mine because I was rear ended by some moron while sitting at a light. If you can't see the tires of the car in front of you, you are too close.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:00 AM

Car Info: Panty Buncher
You have the audacity to admit to speeding but complain about other drivers? Slow down or shut your ****ing mouth, short of drunk drivers you're the biggest issue on the road you jackass. The inconsiderate actions of people going 70 in the fast lane may irritate you, but your speeding puts the safety of others in jeapardy.
lol relax guy, speeding by itself isn't so dangerous. People that don't understand what a safe following distance is what makes it bad. I cringe when I see people doing 80 5ft off of each others bumpers
Old 01-21-2011, 10:08 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by VTRZA
lol relax guy, speeding by itself isn't so dangerous. People that don't understand what a safe following distance is what makes it bad. I cringe when I see people doing 80 5ft off of each others bumpers
Yup. Only because I know that 90% of drivers out there think they are better than they are and also don't properly maintain their cars. I've seen idiots out there driving at speed with chord showing on their tires. The other day I saw a woman in a corolla driving down the street with a completely flat tire and she literally appeared to have no idea. Freaking clueless people.

I had a really cool boss once - he autocrossed his Porsche 944 turbo and it was one nice car. He took a Skip Barber class and said the class scared him because he was skilled and thought he was a good driver and they showed him that there was a lot more to learn. He said he wasn't scared because they showed him that he wasn't as good as he thought, but by the fact that 99.9% of the drivers out there don't have a clue about the real concepts of car control.

Last edited by 04GG; 01-21-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:12 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
lol u irate brah? dont worry hes got brembos all around

Quick Reply: Rant - Bay Area drivers SUCK!