i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Question for BAIC Photography people in the know (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/question-baic-photography-people-know-175932/)

JDM555 01-04-2008 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dude...How do you take this picture??

[ATTACH]172613[/ATTACH]

Is it edited dramatically in photoshop or do you go monochrome and do certain settings on the camera?

JZ oo7 01-04-2008 11:48 PM

[QUOTE=MyNikonLens;2069046]I am not saying that they will not work. I have some 12 year old Nikon lens that did not work on my D80. So not sure what other technology that will prevent some lenses not to work on the new cameras.[/QUOTE]

that's odd, because i just purchased a brand new lens 4 months ago. no AF, no chip inside to tell the camera what focal length, and it works brilliantly. my 300 2.8 that's probably over 12 years old works great as well, and so does Ai-S lenses.

SubyN00by 01-05-2008 12:52 AM

[QUOTE=JDM555;2069376]Dude...How do you take this picture??

[IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c350/LilJohn148/hand.jpg[/IMG]

Is it edited dramatically in photoshop or do you go monochrome and do certain settings on the camera?[/QUOTE]
this particular one looks like it's edited in photoshop, but with a very steady hand and a tripod or a very good lens, it's very possible to do with just lighting and a black backdrop.

cny3123 01-05-2008 04:10 AM

Ok to answer some peoples questions..

MyNikonlens:
The D3 is compatible with virtually every nikon lens that has been made in the past 30 years or so give or take, not completely sure when the F mount was first used compared to the original Nikons... The older AI/AIS manual focus lenses will meter in aperture setting and should still work in manual. You manually dial in aperture on the aperture ring and the aperture coupling sends the data to the camera. The new DX lenses are also compatible on the D3 because you have the option to switch to DX crop sensor mode which reduces the 12 mp resolution to 5.something mp. That is one of the great things about nikon is the lens compatibility and the ability to use lenses that are from back in the 70s even.

JDM555:
From the images that I have seen that you posted with the sigma lens, it looks to me like sharpness and actual image quality of the lens is fine. The shots that you were talking about earlier that were not sharp sound like either the result of handholding you're lens at too slow of a shutter speed or simply out of focus. One thing that is fairly important to remember is that you should try to only hand hold a shot without any additional lighting if the focal length that you are shooting is the same shutter speed more or less for a fairly sharp image. If you are shooting at 200mm, try to have a 1/200 of a second shutter speed or higher for optimal sharpness. Another thing to remember is that both canon and nikons cameras with the exception of the 5D and D3 respectively, are all cropped sensor cameras which means that the sensors are not the same size as a single film negative or slide. Nikon DX cameras are all 1.5 crop sensors and the camera I believe that you have is a 1.6 crop sensor. So for the 35mm format to find you're actual focal length you should multiply your focal length according to the lens you are using by 1.6X. For example if you are shooting at 200mm, according to the lens, because of the crop you are actually shooting at 320mm.

Also the image in black and white that you posted above, I believe from looking at it, there was an off camera strobe/flash placed slightly lower than the hand and to the right of the camera. The image was then probably shot on a black back drop. more than likely anything else, the image was then photoshopped to create the monotone. I doubt that it was shot in a black and white setting in camera. You can tell where the flash was placed by looking at the shadows cast in the image. there is a shallow DOF so it was was probably shot with a lens with a 1.4-2.8 aperture somewhere in that range. You can tell the DOF is shallow because the front portion of the hand and wrist are cast out of focus.

cny3123 01-05-2008 04:16 AM

[QUOTE=JZ oo7;2069448]that's odd, because i just purchased a brand new lens 4 months ago. no AF, no chip inside to tell the camera what focal length, and it works brilliantly. my 300 2.8 that's probably over 12 years old works great as well, and so does Ai-S lenses.[/QUOTE]

Also to point out another thing is that the D80 does not meter with Ai/Ais lenses. The only cameras to do so are the pro and prosumer class of cameras such as the D1 series, D2 series, D3, not sure on the D100 or not (i don't believe so), the d200, and D300. You can still use AI/AIS lenses on other bodies that don't meter in camera, but you will have to set it to full manual mode and set both the aperture (through the aperture ring on the lens) and the shutter speed on the camera. Use either a handheld meter for exposure settings, or you can just take test images and use the histogram to judge for proper exposure.

MyNikonLens 01-05-2008 04:56 AM

[QUOTE=cny3123;2069548]Also to point out another thing is that the D80 does not meter with Ai/Ais lenses. The only cameras to do so are the pro and prosumer class of cameras such as the D1 series, D2 series, D3, not sure on the D100 or not (i don't believe so), the d200, and D300. You can still use AI/AIS lenses on other bodies that don't meter in camera, but you will have to set it to full manual mode and set both the aperture (through the aperture ring on the lens) and the shutter speed on the camera. Use either a handheld meter for exposure settings, or you can just take test images and use the histogram to judge for proper exposure.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cny3123;2069547]Ok to answer some peoples questions..

MyNikonlens:
The D3 is compatible with virtually every nikon lens that has been made in the past 30 years or so give or take, not completely sure when the F mount was first used compared to the original Nikons... The older AI/AIS manual focus lenses will meter in aperture setting and should still work in manual. You manually dial in aperture on the aperture ring and the aperture coupling sends the data to the camera. The new DX lenses are also compatible on the D3 because you have the option to switch to DX crop sensor mode which reduces the 12 mp resolution to 5.something mp. That is one of the great things about nikon is the lens compatibility and the ability to use lenses that are from back in the 70s even.

JDM555:
From the images that I have seen that you posted with the sigma lens, it looks to me like sharpness and actual image quality of the lens is fine. The shots that you were talking about earlier that were not sharp sound like either the result of handholding you're lens at too slow of a shutter speed or simply out of focus. One thing that is fairly important to remember is that you should try to only hand hold a shot without any additional lighting if the focal length that you are shooting is the same shutter speed more or less for a fairly sharp image. If you are shooting at 200mm, try to have a 1/200 of a second shutter speed or higher for optimal sharpness. Another thing to remember is that both canon and nikons cameras with the exception of the 5D and D3 respectively, are all cropped sensor cameras which means that the sensors are not the same size as a single film negative or slide. Nikon DX cameras are all 1.5 crop sensors and the camera I believe that you have is a 1.6 crop sensor. So for the 35mm format to find you're actual focal length you should multiply your focal length according to the lens you are using by 1.6X. For example if you are shooting at 200mm, according to the lens, because of the crop you are actually shooting at 320mm.

Also the image in black and white that you posted above, I believe from looking at it, there was an off camera strobe/flash placed slightly lower than the hand and to the right of the camera. The image was then probably shot on a black back drop. more than likely anything else, the image was then photoshopped to create the monotone. I doubt that it was shot in a black and white setting in camera. You can tell where the flash was placed by looking at the shadows cast in the image. there is a shallow DOF so it was was probably shot with a lens with a 1.4-2.8 aperture somewhere in that range. You can tell the DOF is shallow because the front portion of the hand and wrist are cast out of focus.[/QUOTE]

WOW, who are you dude? I love your knowledge. I guess that is the biggest reason is that I am using a D80 which does not seem compatible with my older lenses that I have used for years with my F5 film camera. So you're saying that when I get the D3, things will be different? Thanks for the info. I will probably get a D3 fairly soon.

tanz1983 01-05-2008 05:43 AM

I have a question. I have a canon AE-1 with about three very good lens. My wife just bought me a canon DSLR for christmas. Grant it I haven't been home to play with it yet. Are there any converts that will allow me to use my AE-1 lens with the digital?

JZ oo7 01-05-2008 10:46 AM

[QUOTE=cny3123;2069548]Also to point out another thing is that the D80 does not meter with Ai/Ais lenses. The only cameras to do so are the pro and prosumer class of cameras such as the D1 series, D2 series, D3, not sure on the D100 or not (i don't believe so), the d200, and D300. You can still use AI/AIS lenses on other bodies that don't meter in camera, but you will have to set it to full manual mode and set both the aperture (through the aperture ring on the lens) and the shutter speed on the camera. Use either a handheld meter for exposure settings, or you can just take test images and use the histogram to judge for proper exposure.[/QUOTE]

yea, the beauty of the Nikon F system. old lenses don't just stop working on newer bodies and some of the old Ai/AI-S lenses are amazing pieces of glass. too bad they don't make lenses like that anymore, besides those ZF lenses. oh, also i believe the only camera that'll matrix meter is the F4, while the rest will only give you centerweighted.

JDM555 01-05-2008 11:08 AM

^^^ A lot of people get digital SLR's coming from film. If I'm not mistaken, MyNikonLens did that and got the Nikon so that his film lenses are compatible with his DSLR lenses.

Now if that's if your just asking if film lenses work on DSLR lenses, if your asking about a specific type of film lenses, sorry for wasting your time, I have no idea.

cny3123: Thanks a lot for the info. I'm pretty sure the reason some images of the sigma was that it was very poor lighting and I was zoomed in over 250mm AND hand held. With a tripod/proper lighting and right settings W/O flash, I'm sure I will get kick ass results. The fastest w/ flash is 1/200, so if its night and I'm zoomed in all the way at 300mm, it still takes pretty decent shots.

JDM555 01-05-2008 11:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH]172598[/ATTACH]
[IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c350/LilJohn148/1014.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c350/LilJohn148/1021.jpg[/IMG]

MyNikonLens 01-05-2008 11:25 AM

John you are right. I did have bunch of lenses that I used with my Nikon F5 film camera and now using my D80 digital. I still use both cameras because nothing out there matches the power of my F5. I consider D80 a toy.

Here are some closeups I did with my D80 and Tamron 90mm Macro lens.

[IMG]http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc99/y-ell/tissot/Tissot_DSC_5552.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc99/y-ell/tissot/DSC_5545_Tissot.jpg[/IMG]

JDM555 01-05-2008 11:29 AM

Damn, I just searched the F5. It came out in 96' and had 8fps!?!L#J!O$H:IO!H:D WTF, High end Canons/Nikons have 5fps nowadays, damn that is one fast camera. I like the second shot mate, if I had nice things to shoot, I would of actually cropped/resized/edited them a little, but I'm too lazy....I think today I'll be able to snap a few outside :D.

MyNikonLens 01-05-2008 11:33 AM

[QUOTE=JDM555;2069632]Damn, I just searched the F5. It came out in 96' and had 8fps!?!L#J!O$H:IO!H:D WTF, High end Canons/Nikons have 5fps nowadays, damn that is one fast camera. I like the second shot mate, if I had nice things to shoot, I would of actually cropped/resized/edited them a little, but I'm too lazy....I think today I'll be able to snap a few outside :D.[/QUOTE]

I will bring my F5 to show you guys on the next meet. It is a monster in the size of a D3, but it is truly amazing. I shot hundreds of weddings and sports events. The speed came in very handy. The metering system on it is better than anything else I have ever seen. Acuracy of focus and control. The grip, and just about everything.

JZ oo7 01-05-2008 11:41 AM

plus the F5 has a self testing shutter, so every time it takes a picture the camera will check if the shutter speed was accurate. if it wasn't it'll make the proper adjustment on the next shot.

JDM555 01-05-2008 11:45 AM

Wow...this technology back in the 90s, and to this day, they are making 3fps cameras....LOL If you could bring it would be cool. My friend down the street, his dad is into photography. He has a D70 and a D2x and he's getting the D3 or D3x next. Intense, I'll ask if I can borrow his D2x for a while :D lol