i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Question for BAIC Photography people in the know (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/question-baic-photography-people-know-175932/)

JZ oo7 01-03-2008 09:18 PM

[QUOTE=JDM555;2068317]Yup. Flash, Tripod, and Bag is my next step. So far the retarded flash is in low light, so that might be the problem. The 50mm f/1.8 and the Kit Lens seems to be producing pretty good IQ, but the sigma, maybe Idk wtf I'm doing because I've seen great results with it. Maybe cause I don't have a tripod and it's a big zoom/telephoto lens?

I'm reading manual right now. Next meet I'll bring camera so you can help, TIA man.
John[/QUOTE]

you mean you haven't seen great results from it?

just remember, at the short end of the sigma, the widest f-stop is 4.0. that is about 2 1/3 stop slower than the 50 1.8.

glider 01-03-2008 09:29 PM

[QUOTE=y0ungsubi3;2068326]What photo editing software do you guys use?[/QUOTE]

I use Aperture for the basic import and processing.

glider 01-03-2008 09:33 PM

[QUOTE=MyNikonLens;2068292]buy a real flash. on camera flashes have very small power and pretty useless. get an expensive one and get a synch cord. you will get much better results, trust me.
[/QUOTE]

+1: the inbuilt flash on the XTi is crap, and that's from an avid XTi user.

Someone at the office was using a 5D with a Speedlite at our office Christmas bash, and the results were night and day (ignore the 5D bit). A decent flash bounced gives you more light in the scene and a decent photo, rather than the washed out morgue specials you get from the inbuilt. It's next on my list.

Superglue WRX 01-03-2008 09:37 PM

[QUOTE=JDM555;2068316]Your gay![/QUOTE]

[B]You're[/B] maybe? :thumb:

glider 01-03-2008 09:37 PM

[QUOTE=MyNikonLens;2067771]I was never able to make this program work for me.[/QUOTE]

To the earlier points (use cases, if you will) it's nicely scriptable and easily driven from Perl [programs]. Just the thing for lashing together handy bits of resizing etc. in a content management pipeline.

JDM555 01-03-2008 09:56 PM

[QUOTE=JZ oo7;2068327]you mean you haven't seen great results from it?

just remember, at the short end of the sigma, the widest f-stop is 4.0. that is about 2 1/3 stop slower than the 50 1.8.[/QUOTE]

Yeh, but still, other images I've seen were AMAZING! I think it's the lighting. Since the widest f-stop is 4, it's performance in low light is weak. I remember when it was earlier in the day, I took some photos outside and they came out decent, but now, it was real hard to get a decent shot (night/zoomed in/nothing except flash) the 50mm f/1.8 is amazing at night and surprisingly the kit lens is taking good pictures.

I'll try some HDR's and landscapes/flowers tomorrow with the sigma, hopefully I get good results, I'll post pics.

MyNikonLens 01-03-2008 09:59 PM

[QUOTE=JDM555;2068317]Yup. Flash, Tripod, and Bag is my next step. So far the retarded flash is in low light, so that might be the problem. The 50mm f/1.8 and the Kit Lens seems to be producing pretty good IQ, but the sigma, maybe Idk wtf I'm doing because I've seen great results with it. Maybe cause I don't have a tripod and it's a big zoom/telephoto lens?

I'm reading manual right now. Next meet I'll bring camera so you can help, TIA man.
John[/QUOTE]

John, it depends on how old your Sigma lens is. Some of the old lenses don't work well with the newer cameras. That's why I never buy a lens that is not from the manufacturer of my camera. The only lens I ever purchased that is not a Nikon is my Tamron Macro 90mm. I am sure when I go to the D3, it will not work anymore. So again, investing in the right stuff will get you the desired results very similar to Subarus.

Happy to help.

MyNikonLens 01-03-2008 10:01 PM

[QUOTE=JDM555;2068359]Yeh, but still, other images I've seen were AMAZING! I think it's the lighting. Since the widest f-stop is 4, it's performance in low light is weak. I remember when it was earlier in the day, I took some photos outside and they came out decent, but now, it was real hard to get a decent shot (night/zoomed in/nothing except flash) the 50mm f/1.8 is amazing at night and surprisingly the kit lens is taking good pictures.

I'll try some HDR's and landscapes/flowers tomorrow with the sigma, hopefully I get good results, I'll post pics.[/QUOTE]

Learn your camera and your RAW files before working with HDR. You really have to learn how to product great images before you get to the computer. Photography is in the camera, not the computer. I hate it when people do that.

JDM555 01-03-2008 10:44 PM

^^^ Trust me, even though this camera is new, I'll produce better HDR's than you, even without a tripod. LOL

JK, But the sigma lens isn't THAT old, its 2-3 years old I think, at the most, and it shoots NICE, I think I was getting bad results because it was in very low light situations, tomorrow during the day, hopefully I'll get some sun, and i'll take shots outside to see its quality. Plus, this lens is $195, so if it won't work on my next body...it's going on Ebay, no big deal. :D

JZ oo7 01-03-2008 11:46 PM

[QUOTE=MyNikonLens;2068361]That's why I never buy a lens that is not from the manufacturer of my camera. The only lens I ever purchased that is not a Nikon is my Tamron Macro 90mm. I am sure when I go to the D3, it will not work anymore.

[/QUOTE]

why wouldn't a F-mount work on a D3?

kYLEMtnCRUZr 01-04-2008 12:26 AM

Damn it JDM555 you paid to much for your new equipment...
shoulda bought my 20D ($460)

[QUOTE=Superglue WRX;2068349][B]You're[/B] maybe? :thumb:[/QUOTE]

this isnt your gay, its my gay!

cny3123 01-04-2008 01:30 AM

[QUOTE=JDM555;2068398]^^^ Trust me, even though this camera is new, I'll produce better HDR's than you, even without a tripod. LOL

JK, But the sigma lens isn't THAT old, its 2-3 years old I think, at the most, and it shoots NICE, I think I was getting bad results because it was in very low light situations, tomorrow during the day, hopefully I'll get some sun, and i'll take shots outside to see its quality. Plus, this lens is $195, so if it won't work on my next body...it's going on Ebay, no big deal. :D[/QUOTE]

Post up a couple of images that are showing the so-so quality. Is it due to slow shutter speed while hand holding? is it soft due to not being in focus? etc..
It will be easier for us to understand what you mean if you post a couple examples.

Now what you should work on is just basics of photography such as composition, getting to understand equivalent exposures by variating the shutter and aperture blah blah blah.
Sounds like you are having fun so far though which is the main idea.

SubyN00by 01-04-2008 01:37 AM

[QUOTE=JDM555;2068398]^^^ Trust me, even though this camera is new, I'll produce better HDR's than you, even without a tripod. LOL

JK, But the sigma lens isn't THAT old, its 2-3 years old I think, at the most, and it shoots NICE, I think I was getting bad results because it was in very low light situations, tomorrow during the day, hopefully I'll get some sun, and i'll take shots outside to see its quality. Plus, this lens is $195, so if it won't work on my next body...it's going on Ebay, no big deal. :D[/QUOTE]
haha, gotta learn how to swing the bat before you can hit a homerun junior. (=

and btw, mynikonlens has been switch hitting since before wooden bats...

:joker:

joltdudeuc 01-04-2008 08:21 AM

[QUOTE=SubyN00by;2068500]haha, gotta learn how to swing the bat before you can hit a homerun junior. (=

and btw, mynikonlens has been switch hitting since before wooden bats...

:joker:[/QUOTE]
So true!

I'm playing tee ball, i admit it! I'm far from the minors.

SubyN00by 01-04-2008 09:23 AM

[QUOTE=joltdudeuc;2068588]So true!

I'm playing tee ball, i admit it! I'm far from the minors.[/QUOTE]
I think we're on the same team...(=