Prop 8 ruled unconstitutional.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Sounds like an episode of welivetogether.com yet to happen!

Or, maybe is has!?

Old 08-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by medicSTi
so can pastors or churches which refuse to wed or allow homosexual weddings in their churches now be sued for discriminating against them for being homosexual?
I don't think so. There is a difference between marriage in a religious context and marriage in a legal context. Gays can get married wherever they want: courthouse, or church that allows it.

But they won't be able to force a church to marry them. This is the ability to marry in the legal context.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:01 AM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Originally Posted by blue blurr
Sooo I guess what the majority of California wants doesn't matter anymore. Well, at least I don't need to vote in the future, no point!
Oh you. This proposition was already silly to begin with. I stopped taking pro-prop 8 arguments seriously when they started that "OH LAWD THINK OF THE CHILDREN! OH NOES HAS THE WHOLE WORLD GONE GAY!?" campaign. If all it took were some obviously homophobic gibberish propaganda to get the majority vote in the first place, then I've lost faith in humanity.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:01 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Sooo I guess what the majority of California wants doesn't matter anymore. Well, at least I don't need to vote in the future, no point!
Laws must NEVER be based on what the majority wants, but rather on what is constitutional.
Unless firearms, state's rights, etc are involved.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:02 AM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
Originally Posted by Roo
How about legislation which makes it unconstitutional to have a religious sect involved in denying the rights of citizens? Oh wait, wasn't that covered by the separation of church and state? I think we ought to investigate them for domestic terrorism, seize their assets and leave them disbanded.
I'm part of group that is trying to make legislation that any church that gets involved with any policy making process (such as this one) looses their tax free status. You in?

Originally Posted by medicSTi
so can pastors or churches which refuse to wed or allow homosexual weddings in their churches now be sued for discriminating against them for being homosexual?
That was never part of the proposition it was a rumor started by the churches to scare people into voting for Prop 8.

Sometimes, even the will of the people must be put to check by the courts and the laws. The masses are not ALWAYS right and the voice of the minority cannot be strangled by the desires of the majority just because "there are more of us than you."

Were that the case; interracial marriage would most likely still be illegal.

Last edited by R-Dub; 08-05-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
What rights do same sex couples NOT have before?

Oooo...does this mean you have a wife?

We are a land of laws. There's a process that must be followed.

Calm down, Francis...

So your are cool with brother marrying brother?
And be very careful about equating the gay "struggle" to the struggle suffered by slaves.
I do believe that to be able to file as Married on your federal tax return, you must be legally married. It doesn't ask if that is Same sex or not, therefore, the only wait to claim married on your federal tax return is to actually have a legal marriage, as recognized by the state of residence.

So, ban gays from being married, they can't file tax as married.

I'm with Edgar: Just remove all religious context from govt already. Marriage, McCarthyism BS on currency, etc. Just make it civil unions, and make Marriage something only applies to the religious context, and has nothing to do with the legal system. It should be completely different process.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:04 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by Roo
How about legislation which makes it unconstitutional to have a religious sect involved in denying the rights of citizens? Oh wait, wasn't that covered by the separation of church and state? I think we ought to investigate them for domestic terrorism, seize their assets and leave them disbanded.
This!

Originally Posted by sybir
Would that make you the gay wedding planner, or are are you planing gay weddings? Word order is important

"Prop 8 singles out gays and lesbians and legitimates their unequal treatment. Prop 8 perpetuates the stereotype that gays and lesbians are incapable of forming long-term loving relationships and that gays and lesbians are not good parents......Prop 8 played on the fear that exposure to homosexuality would turn children into homosexuals and that parents should dread having children who are not heterosexual.....Indeed, the evidence shows Prop 8 does nothing more than enshrine in the California Constitution the notion that opposite-sex couples are superior to same-sex couples." - Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker

good man.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I'm with Edgar: Just remove all religious context from govt already. Marriage, McCarthyism BS on currency, etc. Just make it civil unions, and make Marriage something only applies to the religious context, and has nothing to do with the legal system. It should be completely different process.

The day we remove religion from all government is the day I jump for joy beyond joy.

Coincidently, it is also the very same day that the sun dies.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by R-Dub
The day we remove religion from all government is the day I jump for joy beyond joy.

Coincidently, it is also the very same day that the sun dies.
The Zombies come out...
Old 08-05-2010, 11:25 AM

Car Info: Teh Subie
Originally Posted by R-Dub

Were that the case; interracial marriage would most likely still be legal.

When did interracial marriage become illegal? Nobody told Tiger Woods, or Lamar Odom!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:29 AM

Whoops. Typo there. Should be 'likely still be illegal.' BRB needs caffeine.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:30 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I do believe that to be able to file as Married on your federal tax return, you must be legally married. It doesn't ask if that is Same sex or not, therefore, the only wait to claim married on your federal tax return is to actually have a legal marriage, as recognized by the state of residence.

So, ban gays from being married, they can't file tax as married.
And that is an injustice.

What I see, though, with most people's opinion, is that they are still in favor of gov't regulation of civil unions, marriage, etc.

My point is that now there are still many people that are prevented by law from legally marrying.

The gov't has no right to regulate "marriage".
Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Would that make you the gay wedding planner, or are are you planing gay weddings? Word order is important
I think you know which one I mean.

Originally Posted by iLoqin
Gay wedding planner will obviously make more money than a regular wedding planner. Why? Gays are super proud of their marriage + 2 males by statistics make more than male/female salaries. =P
THIS.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
Originally Posted by rau
why, have a church/pastor to sue now?
nope. it's just been my concern all along. afraid for biblical churches they may come under legal fire.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
lol

Quick Reply: Prop 8 ruled unconstitutional.