Predictions as to how much Stevens Creek Subaru will sell the STi for.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: a few WRX's and a Z ;)
Originally posted by brucelee
Wanting more money = ?

I was brought up to be honest, so if my car was in high demand, I'd sell it for the same price as it were if there was low demand.

sure!
Old 01-10-2003, 10:37 PM

Car Info: 2005 PSM STi
I really don't think it is a greed issue. For people selling their house, maximize your gain. People don't care about you, just the house, where it is located and its condition. Reputation means nothing. And it will not adversely affect you in the future.

For businesses, its comes down to how much you are willing to screw yourself in the long term to make a short term profit. An extreme case were gas stations charging $3/gallon for a few days after 9/11. They made great margins for a couple of days. You better believe those gas stations got a lot of bad reputation for that move. Do you think their business dropped off compared to their competitors after that incident?
Old 01-10-2003, 11:34 PM

Car Info: 02 STi
Originally posted by Steppin Razor
Greed has NOTHING to with dealers selling products over MSRP. MSRP is the price at which the producer RECOMMENDS the dealer sell the product at. This price is not set in stone so that a dealer can charge more if the market allows and less if demand is low.
Yes...but the Question asked was concerning Stevens Creek.....they have HIGH prices ALL THE TIME.......So does EVERY dealership on Stevens Creek. They know that because of location, they will get it.........

I think ALL dealerships are GREEDY...to an extent.....

EXCEPT Subaru SANTA CRUZ!!!!!!! They rock!!!!

-freddie
Old 01-10-2003, 11:40 PM

Car Info: 02 STi
Originally posted by brucelee

I was brought up to be honest, so if my car was in high demand, I'd sell it for the same price as it were if there was low demand.

Now.... if we could only find BUYERS like that......

Put a BRAND NEW part on I-club...and someone will try to jew you down to HALF price.....
Old 01-10-2003, 11:49 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Originally posted by Broken Arrow
Hey Guys,

Like I said, "2004 StIs at MSRP." Even if we have only 5 allocated to us.

I only got one of the 2 MazdaSpeed Proteges in and we are selling it at MSRP.

The other vehicles we sell at MSRP: Mustang COBRAs and Thunderbirds.

Green VAlley SUbaru
1200 Oliver RD.
Fairfield, CA 94533
707-421-3300

ASK for The Asian Ray
Green Valley is cool cause of their low prices... When I was shopping in '99 w/ mi madre for a new car, they had RS's and like $500 over invoice price ON THE WINDSHIELD, which I have yet to see at any other dealer... (note, that was before haggling)
Old 01-11-2003, 12:22 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Steven's Creek (and most every dealer that does what you call "gouging") is just hoping to catch the one jackass who will PAY that $5000 markup.

If they're normally making $300-500 on a car, and there is a small chance that they can make $5000, you can bet damn sure they are going to leave that sticker up there on new WRX's. Even though ANY sane person knows that the markup is almost a joke put there to fish for stupids. This is a lot different than what might happen with the STi.

With fixed supply, if demand goes up, price goes up. If you're a business, this is your mantra. What BrokenArrow's dealership doesn't realize is that I would be willing to bet that the first batch of STi's they sell will NEVER return for a single part or service appointment. Why? Because five smart BAICer's will go up there and buy them because dealers here are gouging or sold out.

If someone offered brucelee $25k for your RS just because they wanted one NOW and they liked your stickers, wouldn't you take it? It's not "dishonest" by any definition...the market supports that price at that moment.

Anyway...I guess this is all semantics. What brucelee calls greed is just business. Businesses are supposed to make money.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:48 AM

That's why I'll wait. The demand for this car would be great until new models from diff manuf. like mitsu for ex. who probably still recuperating from the bomb that SOA just dropped on them would be coming back "full de force" with a better model to counter STi. Welcome to capitalism. As long as there's supply and demand the manufacturer's will keep producing better and better products to get your business. Me, I'll wait. I'm sure the price will go down once the newer model comes out. Like the SOA president says " there's reward for those who wait".
Old 01-11-2003, 11:40 AM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Originally posted by mexicanpizza
Steven's Creek (and most every dealer that does what you call "gouging") is just hoping to catch the one jackass who will PAY that $5000 markup.

If they're normally making $300-500 on a car, and there is a small chance that they can make $5000, you can bet damn sure they are going to leave that sticker up there on new WRX's. Even though ANY sane person knows that the markup is almost a joke put there to fish for stupids. This is a lot different than what might happen with the STi.

With fixed supply, if demand goes up, price goes up. If you're a business, this is your mantra. What BrokenArrow's dealership doesn't realize is that I would be willing to bet that the first batch of STi's they sell will NEVER return for a single part or service appointment. Why? Because five smart BAICer's will go up there and buy them because dealers here are gouging or sold out.

If someone offered brucelee $25k for your RS just because they wanted one NOW and they liked your stickers, wouldn't you take it? It's not "dishonest" by any definition...the market supports that price at that moment.

Anyway...I guess this is all semantics. What brucelee calls greed is just business. Businesses are supposed to make money.
Thank you mexicanpizza, that is exactly what I was going to say. Believe it or not Dan I also was raised to be honest and to do the ethically "right" thing in every situation. I can not honestly say that I do the "right" thing in every situation because the "honest" person is the first one to get burned in the real world. I'm sure you know what I mean here.

We could go on all day bantering back and forth here but what I'm trying to get you to understand is that there is a fair market value for every good. Let's take the example of your gold wheels.

You could have gotten $500 for them but you only sold them for $300 because you thought that was a fair price.

On the other hand you say that you would not sell the house you bought for $350K at $350K. You say that it's because the price of all houses went up. Whether that is because of inflation or the fact that real estate in general has become more important is not important for the sake of this discussion. There is also little to no "reputation factor" involved in selling a house. There is an open market and you sell the house for the best price you can get. Your wellbeing depends on it because if you do not, you are in effect gouging yourself. You will end up in a worse house if you don't.

The same goes for your wheels. If the fair market price for your wheels is $500, how can some one say that you overcharged them for those wheels when he cannot go somewhere else and get them for cheaper?

Now if you want to sell them at a lower price in order to gain a good reputation as a vendor or just as a person, then that might be a good idea as well. I'm just saying that the reason you're selling the item at a lower price is that you want to gain something from it. Not because you have money to throw away.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:22 PM

Car Info: ayo for yayo
what i think a lot of people fail to realize is that price is relative to supply and demand. if everyone sold at cost then no money would be made. so then where does the price justification come from? well....supply and demand. if you have 50 cars on your lot, you are going to want to drop the price to unload them, but if you only have 5, you are going to want to bring the price up, because your supply is low and your demand is high.

to say that this is greed, or to say it is dishonest is wrong. $3k over msrp is NOT dishonest, and i dont care how you were raised, i was raised in a family run small business, and that is not only smart business, but normal business. the MSRP is a starting point, and is intended to be adjusted based on # of units, location, and demand,etc... just like for used cars, the blue book value is just a starting point, what if the RS was a rare car, you wouldnt sell it for more just because you COULD, but because quantity plays an important part in value.

price is such a subjective number, that it would be hard to argue what a 'fair' price is.