opinions on this used BC coilover

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by flat489
yea tarmac 2s, gtworx camber plates up front, and 400# springs
Really good set up speed bumps at 25, wait what speed bump?
Old 08-24-2012, 05:05 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by Heedz
I still disagree because I'm in a car that has them often and drive it on occasions too. Way better than the H&R coils that were on there before too.
You can disagree all you want and choose to ignore the fact that MANY end users of JIC suspension have had bad experiences with them. Your experiences with their suspension is limited to riding in someone else's car and driving it once in a while...

Saying one brand of ****ty suspension is better than another brand of ****ty suspension doesn't really mean anything.

Compare those JIC's to some Zeals or Ohlins and you'll see where they fall short.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by slugrx
my car outhandled a porsche carrera on 17n with no engine mods besides stg1 and a catback..and that was on 205/55/16 falken 452 on stock wheels...sounds like my car has ****ty handling

Haa I'm not "qualified to have an opinion"
This is classic. Love it.

Originally Posted by Lurk
Saying one brand of ****ty suspension is better than another brand of ****ty suspension doesn't really mean anything.

Compare those JIC's to some Zeals or Ohlins and you'll see where they fall short.
There is your answer OP, I had BCs (Helix DNA) for many years and did tens of thousands of DD miles and many autox and track events. Now I use AST's that cost many times more and they are much better, especially at the track. Much better.

If you only have BC money you should get them because they are amazing value for the price, will transform your handling compared to stock and give you tons of set-up options, just understand that they are disposable
Old 08-24-2012, 06:54 PM

Car Info: 08 impreza OBS
Originally Posted by glenspen
If you only have BC money you should get them because they are amazing value for the price, will transform your handling compared to stock and give you tons of set-up options, just understand that they are disposable
Exactly what i was thinking after reading all the post, but everyone keeps saying i shouldn't get them because they suck

I guess you guys were comparing them with the higher end ones
Old 08-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
I'm talkin highway 17 from santa cruz to san jose...super bumpy, off camber turns where a budget coilover should suck like you say so

Arizona? Wtf?
I-17 connects Tuscon and Phoenix. Who aside from someone in your immediate vicinity would know some random state road?

You could have had better results for the money you spent.

Originally Posted by Navysesal
Exactly what i was thinking after reading all the post, but everyone keeps saying i shouldn't get them because they suck

Don't just call random speed shops, call shops that specialize in suspension work. Turn in Concepts, RCE, etc. The rest will just tell you to buy whatever they think you will buy from them and don't actually know anything about how well different setups work. They only know what kinds of margins they make selling you something.

There is your answer OP, I had BCs (Helix DNA) for many years and did tens of thousands of DD miles and many autox and track events. Now I use AST's that cost many times more and they are much better, especially at the track. Much better.
Surprising. Many people running BC BRs are finding that they are not even lasting a full season of autox before they blow. These coilovers don't stand up to abuse.

Originally Posted by Navysesal
The point being made is that if you're gonna spend the money, spend it well. If you have to spend a little more you can do so knowing that you're not throwing away the amount of money you were gonna spend on something not worth your time.

Since you're not racing I still sugget GTWorx or Konis and RCE Blacks. It will be more reliable, ride better, be less maintenance intensive, and you could still out handle most people with their budget coilovers.

Last edited by Brfatal; 08-24-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:46 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Brfatal
Surprising. Many people running BC BRs are finding that they are not even lasting a full season of autox before they blow. These coilovers don't stand up to abuse.

The point being made is that if you're gonna spend the money, spend it well. If you have to spend a little more you can do so knowing that you're not throwing away the amount of money you were gonna spend on something not worth your time.

Since you're not racing I still sugget GTWorx or Konis and RCE Blacks. It will be more reliable, ride better, be less maintenance intensive, and you could still out handle most people with their budget coilovers.
Are these people who blow coilovers in less than a season people we know from the SFR regions autoX because I've not personally met any Subaru owning autox guys who have done that locally.

I can only speak from personal experience of my Helix DNAs and that is that mine were on my car for 4 years, over 40 thousand DD miles and hundreds of autox events and dozens of track events without failure. I sold them after all that time and use and the guy that bought them is still using them.

CN - Not the best coilovers in the world but definitely good value for money. The guy who's shop sold them to me has been caught interfering with midgets on his dyno whilst talking in a funny accent, but I still appreciate the deal I got from him on my BCs
Old 08-25-2012, 12:29 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by Brfatal
I-17 connects Tuscon and Phoenix. Who aside from someone in your immediate vicinity would know some random state road?

You could have had better results for the money you spent.

You are posting in the bay area, california section correct? I think everybody else posting in herehas driven highway17 to and from santa cruz before and know what kind of road it is

Bc coilovers have lasted me 50-60k of DD abuse, and they are just now getting a bit harsher than normal, no leaks, no problems whatsoever.

Glenspen had 40k and auto x on his with no issues..why do you keep talking smack? I already asked if you have personally owned a set? You keep using vague statments like nasioc-ers who just repost what the unabomber and uncle scotty say

700$ will not get anything close to what a set of used BC coilovers have afforded me - high mileage DD use, height and dampening adjustability, and the ride it provides - stiff springs, quick turning, zero body roll.

I will agree though if I did have 2grand to blow on suspension that I would probably get something nicer than BC, but for now its what I chose because it was a 1/3 of the price

And it doesn't matter the suspension setup for the most part - best thing is the driver mod

TO the OP again - highly recommend testing other peoples cars if they will let you...someone just posted that they got BC coilovers for a hatch, ask him if you can test drive his car haha
Old 08-25-2012, 12:33 AM
VIP Member

best thing is the driver mod
Congratulations. Now you are ready to be accepted into Gagan's driving school...report for autox slush at the first race of the season. Please accept your position in the world as a novice. I have.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:46 AM

; best thing is the driver mod
haha as the knowledgeable and great Unabomber said on his guide to everything subaru on NASIOC.

Step a: Tighten the nut behind the wheel. This often used expression, while humorous is very appropriate. You should attend classes on how to drive in your particular type of racing. This can be either formal training or informal training with a more experienced person.

Haha, yeah i know jourdanwithau has them but i've been so busy with work that i rarely go out to car meets anymore :/
Old 08-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Are these people who blow coilovers in less than a season people we know from the SFR regions autoX because I've not personally met any Subaru owning autox guys who have done that locally.

I can only speak from personal experience of my Helix DNAs and that is that mine were on my car for 4 years, over 40 thousand DD miles and hundreds of autox events and dozens of track events without failure. I sold them after all that time and use and the guy that bought them is still using them.

CN - Not the best coilovers in the world but definitely good value for money. The guy who's shop sold them to me has been caught interfering with midgets on his dyno whilst talking in a funny accent, but I still appreciate the deal I got from him on my BCs
Mike from GST blew out 2 brand new Helix (same as BC) on the same track day on the old Gruppe-S shop EVO back when they first came out. though that was one of the first batches BC made back in 05, maybe they got better?
Old 08-25-2012, 09:22 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Krinkov
Mike from GST blew out 2 brand new Helix (same as BC) on the same track day on the old Gruppe-S shop EVO back when they first came out. though that was one of the first batches BC made back in 05, maybe they got better?
I guess you can only go on personal experience.

Wait...Mike blew something up on a racecar?....you don't say!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s

Wait...Mike blew something up on a racecar?....you don't say!
haha nice!

hi-five!

Name:  5vOjb.png
Views: 10
Size:  477.9 KB
Old 08-25-2012, 11:22 PM

Car Info: '00 Subaru 2.5RS
What's up Alex? It's Bryan haha. My sister has bc br's on her mini and she seems to enjoy them a lot. She tracks and autox on them. Have you looked into feal 441's? They seem very similar, almost the same, to bc's. There's also kw v1's but that's a bit steeper on the price. St's are back into the bc's price range, they're engineered by kw but just not stainless steel. However, kw's and st's aren't dampening adjustable. I've been debating myself between the feal's, bc's and kw's.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by bbcheungg
What's up Alex? It's Bryan haha. My sister has bc br's on her mini and she seems to enjoy them a lot. She tracks and autox on them. Have you looked into feal 441's? They seem very similar, almost the same, to bc's. There's also kw v1's but that's a bit steeper on the price. St's are back into the bc's price range, they're engineered by kw but just not stainless steel. However, kw's and st's aren't dampening adjustable. I've been debating myself between the feal's, bc's and kw's.
Haha nice, welcome to the forums also. Yeah it's definitely very had to choose, I have heard of the feal 441. Haven't read much about them. I am looking at the fortune 500 right now. Around the same price as Bc, I heard its more comfortable then them and I believe their stainless too
Old 09-14-2012, 12:30 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
You guys are all spoiled.

Is it sad that im super happy on my cobb springs, and 102k struts.

I cant wait till I get some new struts see how they feel, but gotta wait till I got the cash to do my tranny and finally install the brembos, and H-6 conversion sitting in my garage....