Oil Cooler O-Ring

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:34 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon EJ25
Oil Cooler O-Ring

I think I might have this leak since oil is only pooling on the very bottom of the oil filter and a little bit on the cooler itself. Has anyone replaced this oring? Is it as simple as removing the filter and then a single 24mm bolt? Any tips/experiences are appreciated.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:51 AM

Car Info: 04 WRX Wagon, 06 Forester XT, 99 Legacy Sedan
I did this on the 04 WRX almost immediatly after buying the car 2 years ago.

It is pretty much exactly as you described but the short coolant lines that go from oil cooler can be difficult if their pinch clamps arent facing the right way.

I first tried to replace the seal without removing the two small coolant lines but ended up having to remove them which drains your cooling system and requires a refill and burp.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Harry Maneuvers
I did this on the 04 WRX almost immediatly after buying the car 2 years ago.

It is pretty much exactly as you described but the short coolant lines that go from oil cooler can be difficult if their pinch clamps arent facing the right way.

I first tried to replace the seal without removing the two small coolant lines but ended up having to remove them which drains your cooling system and requires a refill and burp.
Do you think its possible to clamp them shut before removing them? Or possibly plug them?
Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 PM

Car Info: 0[[XXXXoXXXX]]0
Originally Posted by runboyrun
Do you think its possible to clamp them shut before removing them? Or possibly plug them?
Yup, plug em - perhaps a couple of old, clean sparkplugs? zip tie if dribbling... or just let 'er drain. I tried without draining, just loosened the pipe bracket at the block and could not rotate it enough to pull the o-ring out, espec. with gorilla-grade hands and the stock heatshield on the X-pipe.

GLWT
Old 03-26-2013, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by oaklandish_WRX
Yup, plug em - perhaps a couple of old, clean sparkplugs? zip tie if dribbling... or just let 'er drain. I tried without draining, just loosened the pipe bracket at the block and could not rotate it enough to pull the o-ring out, espec. with gorilla-grade hands and the stock heatshield on the X-pipe.

GLWT
Thanks dude
Old 03-26-2013, 01:50 PM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
LMK how this goes and what the process is when you do it. I think I'm having the same problem. I see a drip of oil on the oil filter when I lift her up to tighten stuff down.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:09 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru Impreza STI
You actually don't have to remove the two lines in order to do the o-ring. What I was taught and still do is use a angled pick to remove the old o-ring, then tug the oil cooler down slightly and with just a little clearance, slip the new o-ring inside and flatten it down by using your fingers and going all the way around. Double check your work with a angled mirror to make sure it's sitting properly, and you're set. Personally, I've never removed the lines and I never had a comeback on them.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Riceboi907
You actually don't have to remove the two lines in order to do the o-ring. What I was taught and still do is use a angled pick to remove the old o-ring, then tug the oil cooler down slightly and with just a little clearance, slip the new o-ring inside and flatten it down by using your fingers and going all the way around. Double check your work with a angled mirror to make sure it's sitting properly, and you're set. Personally, I've never removed the lines and I never had a comeback on them.
Cool thanks for the tip.